Working with a Custom camera profile Cpt 7

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Working with a Custom camera profile Cpt 7

Postby NN172122UL » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

I have been working with a custom camera profile in Capture One 7. Session workflow

To load it, I hit other, then located the profile which is loaded in the default .icc location for windows.
windows/system32/spool/driver/color

All is OK and the profile loads and is fine. However once I quit Capture One and reopen it. I get an error for every image that had the custom profile loaded. I can go back and reload for every image but this is rather time consuming. I would assume that there is another way to load a custom camera profile so that Capture One sees it each time I open the software?

I have tried Import but nothing happens. I just get a box that states "no profile was imported"

Suggestions?
Sincerely
Paul
NN172122UL

Re: Working with a Custom camera profile Cpt 7

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:02 am

What could help is that you rename your profile according to CO7's naming conventions. To get an idea about that, look into the program's folder.

I am not behind a Windows system right now, otherwise I would have given you the precise location.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN172122UL » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:07 pm

It appears to be a bug as you can do this exact same thing in vr 6 without a rename.

I am working on renaming them with Nikon as the first part of the name and doing a force load into the Phase One
folder. But they should work as they are, i.e. as they do in Capture 6.

Paul
NN172122UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 pm

NN172122UL wrote:It appears to be a bug as you can do this exact same thing in vr 6 without a rename.

I am working on renaming them with Nikon as the first part of the name and doing a force load into the Phase One
folder. But they should work as they are, i.e. as they do in Capture 6.

Paul

The location should be irrelevant. The naming is more important. However, in the field of troubleshooting, all options are open.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN172122UL » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:40 pm

I am working to get the profiles re-named. what is the Capture one naming convention?

All I can tell is that "nikon" is the first thing on all profiles. Renaming a .icc in windows is not as easy as a right click. I have to find someone with software like profile maker 5 which allows profile renaming.

My goal is to get them renamed with nikon as the first part of the name and place them in the Capture One DSLR color profile folder.

Paul
NN172122UL

Postby Tof » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi Paul,

I create profil in Profilemaker 5, and after i rename the file for example: NikonD800-Portrait.icm. Like you can see, i change the .icc to .icm, this work.
Personnally, i also create a good profile for replace the "NikonD800-Generic.icm" wich is charged by default. And rename the original like this "NikonD800-PhaseOne.icm", for keep in side. In this way, i don't need to charge my profile create, it is automaticaly.

I copy this file here C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 7\Color Profiles\DSLR

Becarefull, after an update, the profile is write again and replace the last "NikonD800-Generic.icm", if you do in my way. So keep safe the profil than you create and one file, for copy it after each update.

Hope you understand, very sorry for my poor english.

Tof
Tof

Postby NN172122UL » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Hello and thanks for the info.

I tried renaming them with colorsync similar to profile maker 5. however when I add them to the folder and reopen Capture One, they don't show up.

I will try again.

Paul
NN172122UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:12 pm

I have a few tricks for you, that should solve all problems permanently in a few clicks without the use of other sofware.

First, the rename issue of your custom profile: let Capture One 7 do it for you.
Second, the storage location that should not be affected when updating (or upgrading): let Capture One 7 do it for you
Third, the new default profile: let Capture One 7 do it for you.

Note: the first and second issue can be solved with CO6 as well.

How to do this?
- Open CO7, select your image, apply your custom ICC profile.
- Go to Color Editor, open the tool's menu (click on small triangle at the right on the tool's header), select "Save as ICC Profile". Note that the default location is in your user's profile folders (Win7):
Code: Select all
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Color Profiles

Also note that the profile's file name starts with the prefix which the program uses for your camera and adds "-Color Corrected". Edit that last part to your liking:
Code: Select all
CanonEOS5DMk2-Color Corrected.icm

The extension .icm is used by default on Windows systems.

Now you have solved issue one and two in one go and you can select the new profile from the camera's recommended list (it will list Generic and Color Corrected or what you named it). There is no need to browse to the Others section any more.

How to make your new profile default:
- In the Base Characteristics tool open the tool's menu (small triangle) and select "Save as default for <camera name>".

Done.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Tof » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks you very much, I will try your way. Look better than mine. :D

Christophe
Tof

Postby Paul811 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Wow! What I have been searching for. Thanks.

Will this save the focus setting as well?
or is there another way of setting the default focus?

Thanks

Paul
Paul811

Postby Paul811 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:35 pm

ooops.
Just checked and found I can use the same method for a number of settings.

Hidden feature.

Have a great xmas and new year.
Paul811

Return to Capture One 7.x Software