strange lines through image

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

strange lines through image

Postby Joris1 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:22 am

During SOME sessions I experience vertical white lines (when I shoot horizontally). Often these lines are accompanied by a bright magenta line.
When this starts happening the problem gets progressively worse, with large black areas appearing in the image too.
Sometimes restarting the computer and rebooting the back helps, but sometimes the only thing that will help is to switch to shooting untetherered - using the CF card.

Has anyone encountered this, and what can be done?

I have a P25 on a 645AFD.
Joris1

Postby NN247001UL » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:30 pm

I have been experiencing the same issue with my P25. Just last week I sent mine in to PhaseOne for service. I have not heard back yet but the service staff has been in touch and I presume it will not be long before I have an answer.

It is my guess that the problem is in the back, since I am able to spot the corruption on the display of the back.
NN247001UL

Postby Dillon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:46 am

Are these problems similar to those discussed here?

http://forum.phaseone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1189
Dillon

So I'm not alone after all

Postby Joris1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:00 am

Dillon:

Thank you, yes. That's the problem.
I wasn't aware that it had been so extensively discussed already.

The problem (black-pink-black-pink-blackpink etc., as well as just white-pink lines) HAS occured a few times while shooting tethered to a normal G4, but most of the time on location working off the battery.

It is still extremely annoying, and I can't say that I'm very charmed by PhaseOne's suggestions to use a FireWire converter and work with the DBs battery, but at least it's good to know there is no need to send the P25 in for repair.

J.
Joris1

Postby Dillon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:56 pm

Glad I could help.

Question: When you were shooting to the \"normal\" G4, how long was the firewire cord?

Yes, these problems are always frustrating, especially when one is on a photo shoot. I am usually in a very quick work pace, and try my best to maintain sanity when confronted with problems.
Dillon

Fire wire

Postby Joris1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:16 pm

Dillon: I use a very long 9 meter (that is what, about 30'?) fire wire from Calumet. It's my second - the first one died of careless handling.
I use the same on on location (one likes to stray), and always have a spare one.
Joris1

Postby NN247001UL » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:19 pm

Although I have exprienced the problem mentioned in the other forum while tethered to my powerbook on battery power, the main problem I am experiencing is not similar.

The low battery issue creates very clean, complete, black and pink bands of pixels that run, if oriented horizontally, from top to bottom of the image and can vary in the amount of the image covered from left to right.

I am experiencing another issue in which there is a degradation/corruption of the image that usually begins about 3/4s of the way to the right (or top) of the frame and continues to the edge. It is not a straight edge of pixels but usually begins by gradiating to dark green, then a niosy pink/white band and then black for the rest of the frame. The bands are often choppy or pixelly and sometimes bend a bit.
NN247001UL

bright green

Postby Joris1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:41 pm

Brion:

Bright green appears to be an other dangerous colour - I've seen it both on the P25 and the H25 I owned before that. Sometimes you get these wild poster-effects where all objects get a bright green outline. Produces very funky images - an art director loved the effect and asked if I could do it again.
However, un my practice the bright green effects occur very seldomly, and are never persistent, so I've decied to live with them.
The PhaseOne technical people told me it may have to do with shooting the next image too fast after the previous.
Joris1

Postby NN247001UL » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:40 pm

I don't think I've seen the bright green effect mentioned. I have a band of green on the right side of the image similar to the one mentioned in the new forum topic \"Strange effect on right side of image\". Mine happens further to the left in my images and then has a pink \"scar\" from top to bootom and the black to the edge.
NN247001UL

Postby Dillon » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:50 pm

jorisvanvelzen- The longer fire wire cords are known to cause problems from time to time. I always keep a spare short cord around in case of emergency!

GREEN STREAKS. Yes, I have those. They look slightly posterized and gravitate to the shadows. As soon as I figure out how to post sample images, we'll compare notes.

It has happened 3 or 4 times (rare) and seems to happen when there is strong contrast and/ or strong lines on my subject. The last time it happened I was shooting a building with a metal roof that occupied 1/4th of the frame. I switched lenses, batteries, sync cords, shutter speeds, nothing helped. After 20 frames of green, I turned the camera in the opposite direction and shot with no green.

Subject matter seems to be the cause.
Dillon

in response to the green discoloration occuring in images

Postby mongoman_1 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:17 am

I have noticed the green discoloration that was being discussed only when I was testing the p25 to see what kind of exposure times were achievable, which produced a green ghosting of the image on the far right side of the image with exposures of about 1min 30 sec and above (which I assume only happened because of the heat generated by the chip) and when a spot in the image was too bright and produced lens flare (or the lens was simply dirty and needed to be cleaned.)
I did ,however on one isolated instance, experience sort of a faint noisey set of lines running vertically in some images that were captured to a card, and have not been able to figure out what was wrong since this has never reoccured.
mongoman_1

Postby Ulf » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:20 pm

Green ghosting on far of one side of image is cause by to fast capture rate on a manual Hasselblad. (V system)
This is not generated of long exposures.
Note that if a black calibration is done during the 1.30sec exposure the black calibration might take some time and a new capture can not commence until the software / camera indicates it is ready.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs