Media One won't scan non-native NEF's

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Media One won't scan non-native NEF's

Postby doobs » Sat May 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Wow,

Now I wish I would have read the forum before upgrading.

I found another issue.

I've converted all my jpg's to NEF's using Nikon Capture. EM very happily displayed those NEF's. MO won't. Action log simply states "unable to scan media file".

Well as these files are roughly half my catalog, this is definitely a non-starter. Back to EM I go!

Yes, I logged a service request.

Chris
doobs

Re: Media One won't scan non-native NEF's

Postby doobs » Sat May 14, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm assuming that part of the issue with the inability to scan non-native NEF's is the lack of WIC codec's for 64bit Windows machines.

Does anyone know if the codecs on this page:

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

would provide the WIC scan function?

Thanks,

chris
doobs

Postby rmoorlag » Sat May 14, 2011 2:32 pm

Chris,

I'm using the fastpictureviewer codec on my Win7 64bit machine.
Can it test it for you?
Just send me some of your NEF's and i let you know the results.
Roelof
rmoorlag

Postby doobs » Sat May 14, 2011 3:52 pm

rmoorlag wrote:Chris,

Can it test it for you?
Roelof

Roelof,

Brilliant!

Give this image a try: http://www.dubea.org/photos/test.nef

Thank you!

chris
doobs

Postby doobs » Wed May 18, 2011 12:57 am

Well,

I got a polite no thanks on the request to restore capacity

"
Chris,

We will only support NEF files that are RAW files made by Nikon from their cameras. I of course will look into this to see if it is possible to be included in a future update.

Best Regards,
Phase One Support Team"

I guess that's it then. Looks like Phase One won't be playing a part in my future DAM efforts.

Maybe Microsoft wasn't so bad afterall.........

chris
doobs

Postby rmoorlag » Wed May 18, 2011 9:12 am

ChrisD wrote:

Can it test it for you?
Roelof

Roelof,

Brilliant!

Give this image a try: http://www.dubea.org/photos/test.nef

Thank you!

chris

Chris,
I did some testing on Your NEF, my findings can be found here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25580003/Some%20testing%20on%20testNEF%20from%20ChrisD.pdf

Roelof
rmoorlag

Postby doobs » Wed May 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Roelof.

Thank you very much for your efforts.

Your tests were solely using 32 bit Win7. Your results indicate rendering with either the WIC codecs or the Media One renderer. I don't understand this. Support told me that Media One was not compatible with non-native NEF's yet you show images.

Were you able to test it in 64 bit Win7? I would love to see the results of that test.

cheers,

Chris
doobs

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed May 18, 2011 10:22 pm

ChrisD wrote:...
Were you able to test it in 64 bit Win7? I would love to see the results of that test.

ChrisD (and Roelof), maybe it is a good idea to also mention which version of FastPictureViewer Codec each one is using for a good comparison. I am not familiar with this codec, but most recent version (3.0.0.30) is both for 32- and 64-bits.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby rmoorlag » Thu May 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Chris,
I added some testing on my 64 bit system. However not with MP1 already because it's my production environment...(being carefull).
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25580003/Some%20testing%20on%20testNEF%20from%20ChrisD.pdf
The Fast Picture Viewer Codec i used was 2.5 R6 i downloaded after puchase in feb 2011.

Is there something specific you want me to test on my 64 bit system?
Roelof
rmoorlag

Postby doobs » Thu May 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Paul_E wrote:
ChrisD wrote:...

ChrisD (and Roelof), maybe it is a good idea to also mention which version of FastPictureViewer Codec each one is using for a good comparison. I am not familiar with this codec, but most recent version (3.0.0.30) is both for 32- and 64-bits.

I'm not testing any version.

My goal is to determine if the FastPictureViewer codec's can restore functionality lost in this "upgrade" of EM2 to Media One.

It's apparent Phase One doesn't care about the problem, or a soon to be an ex-user, as they gave me what was pretty much a "tough luck" answer in my support case. It's just a shame that I found this out after I paid for to be a beta tester of this software.

And we thought MicroSoft was bad........
doobs

Postby rmoorlag » Thu May 19, 2011 10:13 pm

Chris,
It's Microsoft who dropped a decent codec in Win7 in the first place so who's is tho blame :wink:
On a 64bit Win7 system you had to have the FastPictureViewer codec's from the beginning, also with EM2.
So, in my opinion there is no los of functionality on this matter (there is on other topics...)
I was in assumption you having problems with the NEF's you created yourself only.
Roelof
rmoorlag

Postby doobs » Thu May 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Roelef,

Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate your efforts.

It's still not clear to me if the Fast Picture Viewer Codec will provide the WIC capability needed to replace the built in render capability removed by Phase One in the "upgrade" to Media Pro. I need to decide if I'm going to throw good money after bad.

All I know is, this experience has left me with a really bad feeling about Phase One. Yes, I know it's not a lot of money, but it's my money and I don't appreciate being blown off.

The silence emanating from Phase One about this has been deafening.........

chris

I added some testing on my 64 bit system. However not with MP1 already because it's my production environment...(being carefull).
The Fast Picture Viewer Codec i used was 2.5 R6 i downloaded after puchase in feb 2011.

Is there something specific you want me to test on my 64 bit system?
Roelof
Last edited by doobs on Thu May 19, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doobs

Postby doobs » Thu May 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Um, no. Microsoft had nothing to do with it. Nikon has never produced a WIC codec for 64 bit Windows systems. It wasn't an issue before as Expression Media had no problem rendering my NEF's.

Yes, this is only with non-native NEF's. So anybody that uses a Nikon scanner is going to find out real quick that MP cannot render their scans.

chris

It's Microsoft who dropped a decent codec in Win7 in the first place so who's is tho blame :wink:
On a 64bit Win7 system you had to have the FastPictureViewer codec's from the beginning, also with EM2.
So, in my opinion there is no los of functionality on this matter (there is on other topics...)
I was in assumption you having problems with the NEF's you created yourself only.
Roelof
doobs

Postby michel421 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:27 am

Hi,

I have the 64bit codec installed (version 3) on my PC. The NEF you posted gives a preview in the thumbnail tab and a media view when using the render setting 'windows imaging component' and when using 'phase one rendering' on my machine (win ultimate 64 / NVidea drivers). In my case jpeg's created from Canon CR2 files through C1 Pro 6.2 somehow cause Media One to crash when using 'phase one rendering'. The WIC render setting doesn't give a crash. PO support promised to look into that. So no guarantees that every filetype will work for now.

Kind regards, Michel
michel421

Postby doobs » Sun May 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Wow. I'm definitely confuzzled.

PO told me that they do not scan non-native NEF's. My experience when re-scanning them from a pre-exisiting catalog was the info in the catalog is wiped clean.

I guess I'll have to spend the money for the WIC codec to see. I had a bad experience with the developer once before, but sometimes you just have to sleep with the devil.

Thanks to all who helped.

chris
doobs

Next

Return to Media Pro and Media Pro SE