DNG Profiles and C1?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

DNG Profiles and C1?

Postby photo570 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:19 am

Below is some text from the xrite web site about the ability to create DNG profiles with software that comes with the ColorChecker Passport. Is there a way to use these with C1?

"Build custom DNG profiles with the ColorChecker Classic Target, the industry standard 24-patch ColorChecker. With the included ColorChecker Passport Camera Calibration Application and Lightroom® Plug-In, you can quickly and easily build DNG profiles for Adobe® Imaging solutions including Lightroom®, Photoshop®, Photoshop® Elements, Camera Raw (ACR) and Adobe® Bridge.
This new advanced profiling technology provides excellent results with just the small 24-patch ColorChecker Classic target, producing DNG profiles that work exceptionally well, even in unusual artificial light sources. Plus, software auto-detection will locate the target automatically. Whether you are shooting with just one camera or multiple cameras, you’ll easily establish an accurate color foundation and maintain control of your colors."
photo570

Re: DNG Profiles and C1?

Postby deejjjaaaa » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:59 am

photo570 wrote:Below is some text from the xrite web site about the ability to create DNG profiles with software that comes with the ColorChecker Passport. Is there a way to use these with C1?

C1 uses ICC/ICM profiles, not DNG profiles...
RAW:: .PEF (Pentax) + .RW2 (Panasonic) + .X3F (Sigma)...
deejjjaaaa

Postby photo570 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi,

I know that, that is why I was asking if anyone knew if it was possible. The ColorChecker Passport Camera Calibration Application and Lightroom® Plug-In, come free with the ColorChecker Passport but only make DNG profiles. Xrite also now own Profilemaker, which does ICC profiles, but it is not free, or even cheap, hence my enquiry if any one knew a workaround to allow the use of the free option vs the paid one.

Cheers,
Jason.
photo570

Postby NN78432 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:19 am

also the new x-rite i1Profiler will not support icc camera profiles, dng only :(
NN78432

Postby deejjjaaaa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 pm

photo570 wrote:

Hi,

I know that, that is why I was asking if anyone knew if it was possible. The ColorChecker Passport Camera Calibration Application and Lightroom® Plug-In, come free with the ColorChecker Passport but only make DNG profiles. Xrite also now own Profilemaker, which does ICC profiles, but it is not free, or even cheap, hence my enquiry if any one knew a workaround to allow the use of the free option vs the paid one.

Cheers,
Jason.

well, for free you can use some opensource tools like lprof... then may be dump resulting .icc/.icm file to .xml using http://sourceforge.net/projects/iccxml/ , take some of P1's profiles for the target camera, do the same (dump to .xml)... compare... do necessary mods... compile .xml back to .icc/.icm

but it is an easy task to make a better profile than P1 can do itself... so good luck.
deejjjaaaa

Postby Tom592 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:44 pm

I am also useing C1 and do often works with the Color Checker Target. I would request the C1 developers to implement a tool to use the DNG profiles created with the Color Checker Application.
This would close a really big gap in my workflow...

Thanx :D
Tom592

Postby Pjotr » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Have you tried CoCa? http://www.nla.gov.au/preserve/dohm/coca.html It's a free program.

It works with XRite's Color Checker Passport as well, provided you do the cropping and rotating yourself by hand and save the result as TIFF. It generates .icm profiles. The only way to get it working in CO, as far as I found out, is by putting this profiles in the default OS location. On my XP OS: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color to be recognised by CO. This is a clumsy way of doing of coarse. It would be more convenient when CO would recognise the profile in the project folder at hand and the ability to load them at wish without restarting CO, CO's work flow is folder based. Or did I miss something regarding the proper location?

I am doing portrait an technical documentation. Although there is lot of discussing if profiling each set-up is of any use, it speeds up work flow a lot by taking it as a starting point. It works like a charm for me in PS Lightroom.

I am now test driving CO 6.1. because I don't like PSL's work flow. So I also would like to see CO can handle dcp profile files located in the project folder.

[Edit]

Oops, I see CoCa is only available for MS-Win, not for Mac. Anyway .dcp support would be very welcome.
Pjotr

Postby deejjjaaaa » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Oops, I see CoCa is only available for MS-Win, not for Mac. Anyway .dcp support would be very welcome.

Actually, there is a donation ware for Mac - tp://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html - if you will donate a small amount $5-$10-$15-$25 the author will send you a code to unlock extra features - I think it has an option to generate ICC/ICM profiles from colorchecker shots - you can check youself... however note that standard P1's ICC/ICM profiles have 33x33x33 CLUT table inside and I think it is necessary to be able to have such table in ICC/ICM profile for C1 to use that profile w/ good results, not just have simple matrix based profile... and I am not sure if RPP will generate such profile... however you can always build clut table yourself w/ some trial and error and incorporate that in the profile manually
deejjjaaaa

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software