Re-trying version 4, still not happy with it.

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Re-trying version 4, still not happy with it.

Postby Bud1 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:06 am

Well after trying version 4 when it first came out and not liking it at all, I went back to v3.7.9

Now that it's up to v4.8.3 I decided to give it another try. I find it to still have some serious problems. I guess it's back to v3 for me.

1 - That little gray gear sitting at the bottom of the thumbnail showing processed state. Unless it's against a dark background you really can't see it. Put it outside the image area on the border and give it some color.

2 - Renaming still has problems. Why do we have to reset the counter every time we rename files? In v3 it always started at 1 and if renaming with an existing file name then it automatically started with the next available number. Now we have to make sure to reset numbering even when giving new file name. Not a good system when working on a fast paced shoot.

3 - The cursor tips not changing with tool tabs like it did in v3 needs to be fixed, PLEASE! In v3 the cursor tip changed to whatever was last used within the tool tab. If you were using the eye drop tip in color balance tab and crop tip in process tab then that's what tip you would get when switching between those tabs unless you changed the tip yourself. Now when you select the eye drop tip it stays with that tip no matter what tab your in. Again, not a good thing when working at a fast pace.

4 - Importing from CF card still not as straight forward as v3. Why can't the images go to Capture folder in the current session as default like it did in v3? Why do we have to select the capture folder within the correct session every time? Why can't this be set as a user default? Also, let's have a nice visible status bar instead of that little pie wheel for CF download.

5 - A drop down list of active sessions like v3 would be nice. Much simpler and cleaner to work with than your new Lightroom wannabe system.

6 - It seems that every time a new session is created v4 checks and selects all the process recipes. I have about 15 different process set ups that I have to make sure I uncheck every time I start to process a new session.

Please, Phase One, fix, fix fix. All of these problems affect a smooth work flow. If you only have a few images to handle it's not a big problem, but when dealing with commercial jobs that can easily have a few thousand images it becomes a big problem.
Bud1

Re: Re-trying version 4, still not happy with it.

Postby wilfried 1 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:01 pm

Thats exactly what a lot of users ask for!
I don't see any advantages in the changes they made.
3.x was a very fast professional workflow. Can someone (Phase One or users) explain what the advantages of theese changes are? For me it seems very complicated now and makes alot of work.
wilfried 1

Postby Andrew311 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi List, I completely agree with Bud1's comments, my biggest gripe is the silly little process wheel which is such a pain, at the end of a busy day's shooting it would be so helpful to glance quickly at the thumbs and check processed images, its not even possible to sort by processed state !!, I have been forced as a work-around to tag the processed images with a green marker so I can see easier which shots were processed..
I'm not going to hold my breath on this request as I and other users have been asking for the process marker to be bigger or clearer for months now..
Andy Cahill
Andrew311

Postby kitty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:38 pm

wilfried wrote:Thats exactly what a lot of users ask for!
I don't see any advantages in the changes they made.
3.x was a very fast professional workflow. Can someone (Phase One or users) explain what the advantages of theese changes are? For me it seems very complicated now and makes alot of work.

Agree that workflow on v.4 is different and need some changes.
But files developed from v.4 is much better than v.3 eg. noise, smoother graduate tone, sharpness.
No more rough texture skin, no more halo around high contrast edge.
And it is very stable and fast now. Good job phaseone!

kitty
kitty

Postby Robert71 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:43 pm

kitty wrote:And it is very stable and fast now.
kitty

News to me. Stable is one thing it most definitely ain't!
Robert71

Postby Andrew311 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:37 pm

I have to agree with Kitty I use Phase v4 all day every day and its very stable and fast.
I don't want to start a war, I never dare to post on the Adobe Photoshop forums as you get a virtual kicking if you put a step wrong !! and this forum always seems more friendly..
I would love Phase to implement the very good suggestions from users like myself who use the software every day and just want a few refinements but on the 3 machines that I use the software I don't experience any issues at all.
Cheers Andy
Andrew311

Postby kitty » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:27 am

Robert71 wrote:
kitty wrote:And it is very stable and fast now.
kitty

News to me. Stable is one thing it most definitely ain't!

v.4 earlier is not stable. From v.4.7 upward is better.
4.8 is solid rock. I develop hundred of pictures everyday.
No problem at all.

Kitti
kitty

Postby Bud1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Whether v4 is stable or not stable and if the processed images are better than in v3 is not what my complaints are about. I have no problem with stability in v3.7.9 and image quality is also not an issue. With v4 it's about the work flow. When working with several thousand images in a session you can't beat v3.7.9. It's unfortunately the reason I'm not upgrading my cameras, because then I'll be forced to use something other than v3.
Bud1

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software