Rename session, loose settings?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Mac

Rename session, loose settings?

Postby PSS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 am

so i had to rename a session....renamed the folder, and renamed the .cosessiondb file....still have all images and folders with cache and settings but the settings are not applied to the files....i did not rename any of the files btw....
any ideas on how to re-connect files with settings?
PSS

Re: Rename session, loose settings?

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 am

Are the files in folders inside the Session folder structure or external?

Did you rename from within C1 or externally?
SFA

Postby PSS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:13 am

SFA wrote:Are the files in folders inside the Session folder structure or external?

Did you rename from within C1 or externally?

all files are and always were infielders inside the session structure
i renamed in finder, did not know there was a way to rename a session within C1?
PSS

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:44 am

As far as I know you can only rename a session from the Finder, not internally.

Renaming a session is considered a low impact procedure, and I have never experienced that it resulted in loss of adjustments of images in the session.

What you could do is create a new session, close it (or close Capture One), move the Capture Folder with images and subfolders and other folders from the old session to the and open the new session again.

Alternatively, in your current session, in Library tool > System Folders, browse to the folders in the session and open them.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:As far as I know you can only rename a session from the Finder, not internally.

Renaming a session is considered a low impact procedure, and I have never experienced that it resulted in loss of adjustments of images in the session.

What you could do is create a new session, close it (or close Capture One), move the Capture Folder with images and subfolders and other folders from the old session to the and open the new session again.

Alternatively, in your current session, in Library tool > System Folders, browse to the folders in the session and open them.

Well, it may depend on how the session is structured in the folders. Not all session use default - for various reasons of user interaction.

It is possible to pick a folder for the active session, "Show in Library" and rename it.

It is also possible to go from the Show in Library to Show in Explorer option and change stuff in the currently open session's folder structure and even rename files.

A session may be quite forgiving in that respect but one wonder what effects might result for certain links - like "Favorite" folders for example. Also internal links to Settings folders in the Image Folder's sub-folders.

Maybe the "Favorites" links have broken for some reason and "re-favoriting" the folder would return them to activity?

Grant
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Maybe Grant, maybe. :wink: (I mean, I hear a lot of what-ifs).
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:Maybe Grant, maybe. :wink: (I mean, I hear a lot of what-ifs).

Indeed.

The resulting problem seems to be unexpected but without knowing (and fully understanding the effects of) the actions taken there is not much one can do other than suggest things that might help get things working again or pose questions that might give the problem owner some prompts or catalysts for arriving as a solution to the problem - whether understood or not.

Grant
SFA

Postby PSS » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:25 am

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:As far as I know you can only rename a session from the Finder, not internally.

tried all that, settings are still not applied to the files....i am really surprised this hasn't happened to me before...
i always keep the folder structure, never make custom folders....very strange....i was pretty sure i have renamed sessions before as well...always in the finder, i guess i will be more careful from now on...
PSS

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:04 am

PSS wrote:

tried all that, settings are still not applied to the files....i am really surprised this hasn't happened to me before...
i always keep the folder structure, never make custom folders....very strange....i was pretty sure i have renamed sessions before as well...always in the finder, i guess i will be more careful from now on...

If you have re-opened the Image folders as "new" in a session and you know that the Image location folder also has a "Capture One" folder and that folder has a "Cache" folder and one or more "Settingsxxx" folders which are populated respectively with Thumbnails/Previews in the Cache and .cos files (and maybe some other files) in the Settings folder then things should work BUT you may need to check the dates on the .cos files (and the others) to see whether they are newly created or are likely to have been the files created when the folders were first opened in a session.

The other thing is to check to make sure the .cos files names (etc.) match the file names of the image files in the images folder.

If they do and you are still not seeing any edits then something off has happened and is still happening.

For completeness here - can you see the files but not the edits applied to them?

Are the files RAW files or jpgs/tif/png?

Grant
SFA

Postby PSS » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:57 pm

problem solved....
after going through the folders and checking dates, i found a second "capture one" folder with cache and settings files which must have been created when i renamed the session....deleted that and the original one took over again, all is good....
this really puzzled me because i have renamed session (in the finder) before, i have used the original C1 folder structure for almost 2 decades now and most avoid moving things around in there....
i have never liked that there are so many files and folders....which there was a more streamlined way to organize and handle settings....
but its all good now, thanks for the help....
PSS

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Mac