P20 / P25 and Portraiture- Input Appreciated

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

P20 / P25 and Portraiture- Input Appreciated

Postby johnkraus » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:35 am

A question for Portrait / Fashion shooters on the P20 and P25, particularly with the H1. Are you happy with the results you're getting?
I'm particularly interested in the quality of skintones, microtexture, moire or lack of on fabrics, single-source low-light (Rembrandt) lighting and the quality of tonal flow in 1/4 tones (from mid to dark to black) on the fill side.
Is the back producing a film-like look or something different? How does it compare to the 1DsII if you've shot both?

Any input most appreciated!

Thanks much
johnkraus

Postby DigitalTECH/NYC » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:26 am

John,

You should rent a P for a day, and put it through your kind of shoot pace. Take it to the limit, and push the envelope, and see what you get. Actually the best test of all is to shoot a \"REAL\" shoot, where the images really count, and see if you love your work using this camera. We can run tests all day, but the scientific clinical approach loses something.

I can tell you, I like my P, my clients like it too, and I've made back a good portion of my investment in only the 1st 40 days of ownership. If things continue this way, I will buy another.

To date my P has been used on ad campaigns for Winston Cigarette, Campbell Soup, Pantene, Refacto Pharmaceuticals, Phillip Morris, HP, editorials for British GQ, Flair, and Suede magazines, so the results are extremely pleasing to the end user. A lot of these jobs were a first time digital experience for both the photographer and the client, and on ALL of these shoots the clients mentioned they will most likely be shooting all their future jobs on digital, most likely on a P 25.

Von Thomas
DigitalTECH/NYC
DigitalTECH/NYC

Postby johnkraus » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:57 pm

Thanks, Von, always good advice.

One challenge is no Ps to be rented in my neck of the woods at the moment. I'm quickly testing out another shooter's in the next few days, that will be a start.

One question- do you think the P20 will find income as a rental item or is that the domain of the P25?

Your input as always is most valued.

JK
johnkraus

Postby damienlovegrove » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:57 am

The P25 I use is fantastic across the board with portraiture. I do a lot of one light low key pictures and the shadow detail and tonal gradation is fantastic. I often find myself using the chip in linear mode rather than one of the pre determined film curves. I use my own set of curve adjustments in Photoshop. In Pshop I get the opportunity to fade the curve adjustment and to vary it on different parts of the image rather than accept the global effect in C1. If you want to make perfect images to print from, this is the tool. I print on Piezography b&w and this system shows up everything. If I'm 'curving' in Pshop I output C1 in 16 bit. The realism of texture and the amazing detail have changed the way I light and shoot. Lenses play a big part in the quality process and I'm delighted with my H1 optics.

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Re:

Postby DigitalTECH/NYC » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:02 am

JohnKraus wrote:One question- do you think the P20 will find income as a rental item or is that the domain of the P25?

Well I purchased the P 25 to rent it along with my digital tech services, most shooters want the extra real estate, and the crop is so close to 8.5 X 11, that you are not throwing away data when going to print. I'd say the 25 over the 20 from a rental point of view. With that being said, I have many clients that have smaller budgets, so for them a P 20 might work, however these days, I can cut them a deal, and they use the 25.

Von Thomas
DigitalTECH/NYC
DigitalTECH/NYC

Postby Lucas12 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:45 am

I would have to agree with Von in regards to chip size. As someone who, before purchasing my P25/H1 outfit, had hired quite a few square format digital backs (not P20, though) and tried focusing on a half of the viewfinder of my RZ, the rectangular aspect ratio is a godsend. I have also had fantastic return on my investment so far. You only need to charge out for it a few times a month to make the payments.
In answer to your question regarding fashion/portraiture on the P25, it does take some experimentation to achieve premium results, so a one-day test may not give you that, however, having used Canon 1Ds' before this, there is a definite advantage when it comes to detail and smoothness of tone. Also the accuracy of colour blows me away every day.
look forward to hearing your experiences.
Lucas12

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs