Massive image corruption and blank thumbnails with C1Pro12.1

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Massive image corruption and blank thumbnails with C1Pro12.1

Postby Nelson1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:01 pm

After updating to 12.1, I started to experience random image corruption issues and random hangs. Some RAW files became 0 bytes and had to be restored from the backup. Some processed JPEG files had random corruptions such as a band of rainbow colors in the middle.

The latest was sections of thumbnail became blank and processed JPEG files were 0 bytes. Starting computer did not help. Reinstalling 12.0.4 did not help. Reinstalling 12.1 did not help.

I uninstalled 12.1 and reinstall 12.0.4, regenerated previews but the the blank thumbnail problem persisted. Deleting the thumbnail directory to force thumbnail recreation did not seem to help either. Finally after restarting C1 Pro 12.0.4 several times, the thumbnails came back.

The computer is a few years old with the Intel i7 4790K, with 32GB RAM. The GPU is AMD Radeon HD 6870. The OS is Windows 8.1 Pro x64. The OS drive is a Samsung 512GB SSD. The photo processing drive is a second Samsung 512GB SSD.

I have never had any issues with previous versions of C1 Pro up to 12.1. Since 12.0.4 is stable enough for me, I do not plan to open a support case and will be waiting for 12.1.1 or later updates.

Has anyone encountered any instability issue on C1 Pro 12.1?
Nelson1
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:03 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Massive image corruption and blank thumbnails with C1Pro

Postby SFA » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:38 am

Nelson,

Are you using Catalogues, Sessions or both? It reads like you use sessions.

Are all sessions affected?

I note you are running Win 8 - that is a little unusual these days. Have there been any updates recently? (I run Win 7 - so even older but perhaps better supported and more stable than 8?)

I had a problem with a single session back in C1 V7 or V8 days whereby C1 would freeze then crash about every 10 images when working through a new shoot. There was no obvious reason but as I got to about 1/3rd of the way through the 2000+ images (in the order shot) I happened to see a badly created thumbnail for an image near the end of the set.

An attempt to recreate it produced the same result. So I deleted the edits (.cos file) for that single image and re-edited it. That gave me a good thumbnail and no further problems with crashes, etc.

I think it must have been some sort of disk level indexing problem as the .cos file contents looked OK do far as I could tell. I figured that some sort of bad block index for the disk might somehow refer to something that the software would find to be bad data in the context of what it was expecting and so cause the freeze and crash.

Sometimes the problem might be in the Temp folder files or even memory cache.

Multiple restarts can often help to eventually clean out Temp files (and possibly even cache in certain cases where the cache is being temporarily stored on disk.)

The other thing that can have similar symptoms (at least similar things have been reported sometimes) is the use of Hardware Acceleration (AKA OpenCL) using the GPU. Things like GPU driver compatibility with new releases and so on.

It may be worth checking what you see if you follow the Tech Support article I will link below.

In any event following the instructions for re-establishing the OpenCL driver build for the current configuration (which may also have happened after you reverted to 12.0.4) is probably a good idea if you decide to try 12.1 again.

I think, once you have checked the OpenCL situation, it would still be a good idea to create a Support Case because if C! are aware of an issue of some sort somewhere they can offer guidance about the status of the problem.

If they have not had a report it would alert them to a possible problem.

That would be better, from your point if view, than writing off 12.1 and hoping for a fix in a future sub-release.

I think if there might be a major and widespread problem we would likely have seen multiple reports by now so I suspect this might be an unlucky for you local problem.

Link to Tech Support article for OpenCL setup refresh in case of possible driver problems.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Arti ... nguageid=1



HTH.


Grant
SFA
 
Posts: 7085
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Massive image corruption and blank thumbnails with C1Pro

Postby Nelson1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 am

Grant,
Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed reply.

SFA wrote:Nelson,

...

Are all sessions affected?

Yes
SFA wrote:I note you are running Win 8 - that is a little unusual these days. Have there been any updates recently? (I run Win 7 - so even older but perhaps better supported and more stable than 8?)

It has the updates.

SFA wrote:I had a problem with a single session back in C1 V7 or V8 days whereby C1 would freeze then crash about every 10 images when working through a new shoot. There was no obvious reason but as I got to about 1/3rd of the way through the 2000+ images (in the order shot) I happened to see a badly created thumbnail for an image near the end of the set.

That folder has about 650 images.

SFA wrote:An attempt to recreate it produced the same result. So I deleted the edits (.cos file) for that single image and re-edited it. That gave me a good thumbnail and no further problems with crashes, etc.

I thought about that but there were over 100 corrupted images. It would take way too long for me to recreate the edit (layers. spots removal, perspective correction, etc.).

SFA wrote:I think it must have been some sort of disk level indexing problem as the .cos file contents looked OK do far as I could tell. I figured that some sort of bad block index for the disk might somehow refer to something that the software would find to be bad data in the context of what it was expecting and so cause the freeze and crash.

Until C1 Pro v12.1, there was never any massive image corruption like this.

SFA wrote:Sometimes the problem might be in the Temp folder files or even memory cache.

Multiple restarts can often help to eventually clean out Temp files (and possibly even cache in certain cases where the cache is being temporarily stored on disk.)

I will look into that next time it happens.

SFA wrote:The other thing that can have similar symptoms (at least similar things have been reported sometimes) is the use of Hardware Acceleration (AKA OpenCL) using the GPU. Things like GPU driver compatibility with new releases and so on.

It may be worth checking what you see if you follow the Tech Support article I will link below.

In any event following the instructions for re-establishing the OpenCL driver build for the current configuration (which may also have happened after you reverted to 12.0.4) is probably a good idea if you decide to try 12.1 again.

I think, once you have checked the OpenCL situation, it would still be a good idea to create a Support Case because if C! are aware of an issue of some sort somewhere they can offer guidance about the status of the problem.

If they have not had a report it would alert them to a possible problem.

That would be better, from your point if view, than writing off 12.1 and hoping for a fix in a future sub-release.

I think if there might be a major and widespread problem we would likely have seen multiple reports by now so I suspect this might be an unlucky for you local problem.

Link to Tech Support article for OpenCL setup refresh in case of possible driver problems.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Arti ... nguageid=1

Thank you for the link. It is the first time I ever heard rebuilding OpenCL kernels. I deleted the ImageCore directory and let C1 regenerate it.
Nelson1
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:03 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Massive image corruption and blank thumbnails with C1Pro

Postby SFA » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:47 am

Hi Nelson,

I think the number of images apparently affected can be misleading.

For example in the situation I described in my apparent corruption experience it seemed like many images - about one in 10 - were causing problems but that was not actually the case. One rogue edit (.cos) file, most likely not the contents of the file but the way the links to the file fragments had been written to disk by windows (or potentially a bad sector on the disk) had resulted in the system 'building' a faulty working file on the fly. Bear in mind that the internal workings of computers are not really as we 'see' them presented on screen.

To some extent something similar could happen if a section of memory was affected although the results would most likely be even more random.

If all sessions are affected the problem is likely different to mine in terms of which 'file' is causing the problem but could still have basically the same technical reason for the erratic failure. However it may also be something different.

The results of a mismatch between, for example, the GPU card driver, Windows updates and the expectations of the application might also be a factor although in theory turning off Hardware Acceleration should be expected to take that variable out of the investigation.

At start up C1 will usually check for any changes to the installed hardware and software (like third party drivers for GPU cards) and therefore the possibility of a need to regenerate the OCL kernel. Sometimes, for whatever reason, this either does no happen or is not as successful as it should be. Mismatched drivers can give random and chaotic results.

It's worth mentioning that from time to time 'new' drivers are not necessarily good things to install. Some, as with some OS updates, cause problems rather than solve them.

From your most recent post is it safe to assume that the problem (at least at this time) is resolved? You mentioned " ... if it happens again." so should we take that to mean that for now everything is working as expected once again?

I must say I was concerned and puzzled by your report of 0 byte RAW files since C1 does not write anything to existing original RAW files or any other source file. Unless something had gone spectacularly wrong somewhere a reported 0 bytes RAW file would, to me, suggest some system level issue - especially if Windows Explorer also reported the file to be of 0 (or an evidently wrong) size.

The only other cause of possible corruption I can think of would be stopping the system while it was still processing - most likely to happen during a shutdown.

On my notebook system (use as a laptop which probably compromises cooling) I have seen a few extended pauses in processing recently (not just for C1 - other applications show the same trait.)

I suspect this is due to some warm weather, the probability that it is once again time to remove dust from the cooling systems and that both SSDs are running low on free disk space - something I need to address as soon as I have finished last weekend's projects - or maybe sooner.


Grant
SFA
 
Posts: 7085
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm


Return to Capture One 12.x Software



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NNN636873214815537685 and 1 guest