Capture One non-Pro??

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Capture One non-Pro??

Postby sam212 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:25 am

Can Phase One consider making a non-Pro version at a lower price?

For instance I have no use of the tethering function...

Thanks.
sam212

Re: Capture One non-Pro??

Postby C-M-B » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:09 am

If you use a Fuji or Sony camera you can use Capture One Express for free.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 am

sam212 wrote:Can Phase One consider making a non-Pro version at a lower price?

For instance I have no use of the tethering function...

Thanks.

Hmm. A can of worms to open here.

You would find a thousand different generic opinions about what to drop and what could not be dropped.

For example, as a Windows user, the Mac specific options - like scripting or, currently, some of the plug-ins - are not available. This is not an elective " I have no use of them" situation - they are simply not available.

However the real challenge to segregated functionality pricing concepts is that, in the main, the total costs of development AND SUPPORT, are unlikely to decrease by adding complexity to the product and its marketing and sales operations.

For a user the likely additional costs of moving to Mac in order to enjoy its apparent additional functionality in some areas may more than offset the benefits that some may obtain.

The better option, if lower software costs are one's objective, would be to persuade all camera manufacturers to subsidise a tailored version of C1 that supported only images from their cameras. One would pay for the subsidy through the camera manufacturer's sales of course but that is a different matter and would hardly be discernable to the consumer.

So whilst I fully understand the position of anyone who would argue in favour of segregated pricing based on picking and choosing from modular functionality options ... in reality such an approach is unlikely to reduce costs effectively. Indeed for most products I can think of it seems to make the 'options' more expensive than they might otherwise be. Or at least it allows the retailers to work them in such a way.

Just my opinions of course. No doubt others will see things differently.

Grant
SFA

Postby Keith Reeder » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 pm

sam212 wrote:Can Phase One consider making a non-Pro version at a lower price?

Yes.
sam212 wrote:Will Phase One consider making a non-Pro version at a lower price?

No.
Keith Reeder

Postby ClauS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am

Back in time there were indeed two versions: a Pro and a non-Pro which was only called Capture One (I started with 5, non-Pro). The latter had less features but was way cheaper too. From v6 the non-Pro version took the name of Express. I think from v8 this one became available for Sony cameras users only as a free CO stripped-down version. Later a Fujifilm Express version came too. I don't think they will reverse course in the future, but who knows...
ClauS

Postby sam212 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:45 am

Thanks. I'd say there is a market for a reduced-function Capture One at a lower price than the Pro version.

Hope Phase One can consider it, especially if she insists on the new upgrade pricing structure.
sam212

Postby C-M-B » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:41 am

Yeah and then they start complaining about the features that are missing and how they want to trade tethering for metadata editing, layers for styles and so on and so forth.

Unless the requirements are very much the same for everybody it will only cause further anger.

If Capture One simply lowered the prices it would be a better solution for most people but they most likely have kind of figured out how much their users are willing to pay.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:22 am

C-M-B wrote:Yeah and then they start complaining about the features that are missing and how they want to trade tethering for metadata editing, layers for styles and so on and so forth.

Unless the requirements are very much the same for everybody it will only cause further anger.

If Capture One simply lowered the prices it would be a better solution for most people but they most likely have kind of figured out how much their users are willing to pay.

And how much income they need to make it worth bothering.
SFA

Postby sam212 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Well, short of starting a widely available open poll, which is not doable here, everyone can keep on speculating and expressing his/her own opinions.
sam212

Postby SFA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm

Mentioning polls I saw recently that a reasonably well supported Photographer's blog site YouTube channel was running a self selecting for the readership (or whoever may have found out about the poll I suppose) poll about which of the better known photo editing applications the respondents used.

After a quick search I have recalled who it was and where I found it.

I assume it is a continuing project and, since the results are unlikely to be corroboratable, have to assume that they are representative enough to be reasonably meaningful .

https://www.youtube.com/user/firstmanph ... /community

For those with an interest in statistics - especially if it comes with some sort of feeling for the economics of running a business, the numbers may be of interest. And the comments.

With only 1.4k responders (at the time of writing this) it may not be entirely representative of anything.
SFA

Postby Keith Reeder » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:28 am

sam212 wrote:Thanks. I'd say there is a market for a reduced-function Capture One at a lower price than the Pro version.

An opinion based on what, exactly?
Keith Reeder

Postby mli20 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:35 am

sam212 wrote:Thanks. I'd say there is a market for a reduced-function Capture One at a lower price than the Pro version.

Hope Phase One can consider it, especially if she insists on the new upgrade pricing structure.

Agreed.

MLi
mli20

Postby Keith Reeder » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:41 pm

I invite you to search the forum for the crap-storm that was the reaction to Phase One pulling the plug on the original (camera brand-agnostic) Capture One Express and you'll get a clear idea of what Phase One thinks about reintroducing it.

And - sorry and all - it's facile to try to make a cogent argument out of your opinion that there's:
...a market for a reduced-function Capture One at a lower price than the Pro version

Firstly - how do you back up your opinion up to the extent that Phase One can see the financial case? You simply do not know what kind of market there might be for such a thing.

(Phase One might, though - I imagine they do their market research...)

It's the same non-argument as the "let's have a Linux version" one in another recent thread.

Secondly - as the others have said, what features go, which ones stay?
Keith Reeder

Return to Capture One 12.x Software