12.1 - Is it worth the upgrade? (Should I bother?)

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Re: 12.1 - Is it worth the upgrade? (Should I bother?)

Postby SFA » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 am

Shane,

I take a broadly similar position to you for much the same reasons and rationale.

However we are probably representative of a fairly small proportion of the global buying public (and quite likely a proportion of that proportion is ageing and slowly disappearing from the photographic scene).

If a company pitches products directly to the public on that basis they would playing for a very niche market which may be declining. I would be delighted to see functionality and quality maintained and price reduced - but realistically one would have to wonder of it was commercially viable for anything other than a product that was no longer being developed. Maybe some low upgrade fees could cover enforced changes imposed for OS compatibility needs and perhaps new cameras/file formats imposed by camera manufacturers.

It's the same with cameras. Keep up with the latest and greatest and and not only do you have to buy the camera but, with in creasing file sizes, one is probably forced at some point into buying the new and more expensive types of memory cards, faster comms facilities with the computer to load the files and more in computer storage to keep everything.

If one shoots Landscapes and, perhaps, retain just a few shots that might not be so bad. If one shoots events and a weekend can produce several thousand shots any of which might be interesting to someone somewhere ... it's a potentially bigger concern.

I like C1 because it fits my workflow and works in ways I mostly either understand or can easily just accept. t is quite similar to but in some areas better than the software I used previously - a company that went out of business when its efforts to update the software took much longer and far more effort than they had hoped.

I could get on the LR in terms of the interface when I tried it at version 1 but disliked the enforced use of a Catalogue.

I have never really got my head around Photoshop or any of its clones or near clones. I think I understand the concepts but the tools - or rather the way they have to be deployed - defeat me in practise. Powerful if one can work them but cumbersome in many ways. Or that's how they seem to me.

But beyond one's liking for the product the creator of the product has to have enough revenue to service and develop the business and in most cases reducing prices in a business with some fixed costs either means the costs need to be reduced further or other efficiencies have to be found. That is not often balanced by an increase in the number of customers and very rarely are the customers obtained my such measures (if aggressive enough to have a real effect) retained in large enough numbers to lead to the result you (and I) would like to see.

Grant
SFA

Postby Eric Nepean » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:26 pm

I was under the impression (but didn't measure) that version 12.1 loads faster and refreshes it's browser faster than version 12.0 (and earlier). Now I see another user reporting the same for a catalog of 115,000 images. https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=31987#p155749

Other users have remarked that, in previous versions, the CO database had a relative small number of indexes, and that this would inhibit speed.

The catalog upgrade for CO 12.1 would be consistent with changing the indexes of the catalog database.

If the speed is increased for large catalogs this is indeed addressing a long standing user issue.

There are some bugs with this version, see postings on the Canon EOS R RAW files, so for those whose business depends on C1, perhaps best to wait until the bug fix version, 12.1.1 is released.
Eric Nepean

Postby Whitesnake » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:37 am

There is support for files with in lens autocorrection (Nikon Z14-30, Z35, Z50). This is a really great step!
Whitesnake

Postby mli20 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:21 am

Eric Nepean wrote:...
Other users have remarked that, in previous versions, the CO database had a relative small number of indexes, and that this would inhibit speed.

This is still the case for v. 12.1 - no change whatsoever.

MLi
mli20

Postby mli20 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 am

Eric Nepean wrote:I was under the impression (but didn't measure) that version 12.1 loads faster and refreshes it's browser faster than version 12.0 (and earlier). Now I see another user reporting the same for a catalog of 115,000 images. https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=31987#p155749

With the currrent inexpedient Capture One database design, perceived performance will vary greatly with different use patterns. Any occasional perception of good performance is not proof of universal good performance.

MLi
mli20

Previous

Return to Capture One 12.x Software