Open with plugin no more working

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Open with plugin no more working

Postby uuderzo » Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 pm

At a certain time, the "Open with" plugin stopped working correctly.
Now the popup menu shows a "get more plugin" and a "browse" commands.
My configured applications no more show on the popup menu.
I can open a file by selecting "browse" then selecting the photoshop executabe, but i guess this is not the more comfortable way for doing this.

Moreover, when i click the "open with" popup menu, it takes several seconds to populate. I can understand an initial load at the first time use for each working session, but getting this delay each time is a bit frustrating.

Any hints how to fix both issues?

Thanks! Umberto
uuderzo

Re: Open with plugin no more working

Postby IanS » Mon May 20, 2019 2:25 pm

uuderzo wrote:At a certain time, the "Open with" plugin stopped working correctly.
Now the popup menu shows a "get more plugin" and a "browse" commands.
My configured applications no more show on the popup menu.
I can open a file by selecting "browse" then selecting the photoshop executabe, but i guess this is not the more comfortable way for doing this.

Moreover, when i click the "open with" popup menu, it takes several seconds to populate. I can understand an initial load at the first time use for each working session, but getting this delay each time is a bit frustrating.

Any hints how to fix both issues?

Thanks! Umberto

The "open with" and "edit with" dialogues are populated from the OS system menu. Have you checked in the plugin tab under preferences that the relevant editing programs are ticked to be available?

If the program you want is not listed under the plugin tab, you add programs to this list by finding a file in windows explorer and right clicking and choose "open with". Find the relevant program and open the file. This will add the entry into the Plugin tab under preferences for future use. You control which programs are listed in C1Pro when you right click using the check boxes in the Plugin tab.

Hope this helps.

Ian
IanS

Postby uuderzo » Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Yes, and this is what C1 did until a couple days ago.

Now if i go to the preference dialog, i see Photoshop and Affinity Photo checked as expected, but the right click doesn't show them, as if it lost some kind of connection to the preference.
I tried by deselecting then reselecting the two apps, and obviously by restarting C1, but nothing.
Looks like something skrewed into some configuration file and C1 is lost on this.

Don't know if it can help that from day 0, C1 took several seconds to show the applications in the popup menu when point right click. The popup initially shows something like "loading plugin", then after 5-6 seconds application popped out, now it takes the same amount of time but is no more working. I'm puzzled.

Umberto
uuderzo

Postby IanS » Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 pm

uuderzo wrote:Yes, and this is what C1 did until a couple days ago.

Now if i go to the preference dialog, i see Photoshop and Affinity Photo checked as expected, but the right click doesn't show them, as if it lost some kind of connection to the preference.
I tried by deselecting then reselecting the two apps, and obviously by restarting C1, but nothing.
Looks like something skrewed into some configuration file and C1 is lost on this.

Don't know if it can help that from day 0, C1 took several seconds to show the applications in the popup menu when point right click. The popup initially shows something like "loading plugin", then after 5-6 seconds application popped out, now it takes the same amount of time but is no more working. I'm puzzled.

Umberto

Have you tried relinking them by using the OS open with command?

Ian
IanS

Postby uuderzo » Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 pm

Hello Ian,

Well, don't know exactly what happened, but it restarted to work correctly.
Sorry i couldn't test your hint.

Anyway, C1 keeps taking 3-4 seconds to display applications in the popup.
I mean, if i choose "Open With", a submenu with "Open With plugin loading..." appears, and stays on screen for some seconds, then the real menu appears with application choices (i have two applications, Photoshop and Affinity Photo).
I understand that C1 must look for the applications before presenting them on the submenu, but i think it should cache the result on subsequent menu usage. This doesn't seem to happen.

Is there i can try to speed up the menu opening?

Umberto
uuderzo

Postby IanS » Wed May 22, 2019 4:14 pm

uuderzo wrote:Hello Ian,

Well, don't know exactly what happened, but it restarted to work correctly.
Sorry i couldn't test your hint.

Anyway, C1 keeps taking 3-4 seconds to display applications in the popup.
I mean, if i choose "Open With", a submenu with "Open With plugin loading..." appears, and stays on screen for some seconds, then the real menu appears with application choices (i have two applications, Photoshop and Affinity Photo).
I understand that C1 must look for the applications before presenting them on the submenu, but i think it should cache the result on subsequent menu usage. This doesn't seem to happen.

Is there i can try to speed up the menu opening?

Umberto

It works fine for me on my 6 year old desktop. I would try to relink the open with menu as I suggested. The other is to look in the preferences and see if your GPU is being used.If it isn't try updating the GPU drivers, reboot and restart C1Pro.

Ian
IanS

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows