Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Postby NNN636784893298407090 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi,
i was looking for a small, rigid hardware controller for Capture One 12 and was not satisfied with what is available. I saw several projects using the Behringer controller for Lightroom but did not find a working solution for Capture One and I had to build a preset for Bome Midi Translator. Maybe someone has some ideas to make the setup even more usable.

Howto:
1. Buy a Behringer X-Touch Mini
2. Purchase Bome Midi Translator Pro
3. Load attached preset in BMTP
4. Load keyboards shortcuts into Capture One 12
5. Set the X-Touch as midi in- and output in BMTP
6. In the right window of BMTP check if "Capture MIDI" is checked
7. Print the Template
8. Cut the template with the plotter mask
9. Glue cutout on X-Touch

What you are able to control in Capture One 12:
The are two layers of controls.

1. Layer:
Knobs: Exposure, contrast, brightness, shadows, dark tones, mid tones, light tones, lights
Keys row 1: 0 stars, 1 star, 3 stars, 5 stars, switch to rgb (for tones), switch to red (for tones), switch to green (for tones), switch to blue (for tones)
Keys row 2: Undo, redo, left, right,full screen, reset, paste settings, copy settings

2. Layer: Temperature, tint, saturation, noise, sharpen, structure, clarity, vignette
Keys row 1: Cursor select, cursor move, cursor magnify, cursor crop, cursor align, cursor perspective, cursor repair/clean, cursor mask, zoom in, zoom out, zoom 100%, zoom to fit, proof, white balance, presets, notes

The slider will toggle proof mode.

https://ufile.io/k8lqa

The zip file contains the preset for Bome, a keyboard shortcut file for Capture One, a printing file and the mask for a plot.

Problems:
- No feedback from Capture One to set the leds around the knobs.
- Some functions, especially surrounding color control are not accessible by shortcuts (Bome works via keyboard shortcuts)
- The feedback to turn on the lights when selecting a color is dependent on system latency - it is set to 150ms.
NNN636784893298407090
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:15 pm

Re: Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Postby JasonP » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:03 pm

I use a Arturia Beeatstep, really makes editing a pleasure. Just wish some of the sliders could go in smaller increments.

Got 16+1 Knobs
+16 Buttons

Image
JasonP
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Postby NNN636228568741858362 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:28 pm

JasonP wrote:I use a Arturia Beeatstep, really makes editing a pleasure. Just wish some of the sliders could go in smaller increments.

Got 16+1 Knobs
+16 Buttons

Image



That's what I use as well. I just wish there was a version with more knobs, I use those far more than I do the buttons. I did purchase the Arturia Spark Spark for this reason, but I could never figure out how to write the file to import into it so that I could get it to work like my beatstep.
Image

Then I bought a Beheringer BCR-2000 but i havent had the time to try to figure that one out either.
Image
NNN636228568741858362
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Re: Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Postby WPNL » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:21 am

The download link has expired...

For the Arturia people: https://phodograf.com/capture-one-related/controller-1/
WPNL
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:11 am

Re: Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Postby WPNL » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:09 am

NNN636228568741858362 wrote:
JasonP wrote:That's what I use as well. I just wish there was a version with more knobs, I use those far more than I do the buttons.

You might want to try the "Shift" function we got sorted out, this doubles the number of available controllers :-)
WPNL
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:11 am

Re: Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Postby IanS » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:46 pm

NNN636228568741858362 wrote:
JasonP wrote:I use a Arturia Beeatstep, really makes editing a pleasure. Just wish some of the sliders could go in smaller increments.

Got 16+1 Knobs
+16 Buttons

Image



That's what I use as well. I just wish there was a version with more knobs, I use those far more than I do the buttons. I did purchase the Arturia Spark Spark for this reason, but I could never figure out how to write the file to import into it so that I could get it to work like my beatstep.
Image

Then I bought a Beheringer BCR-2000 but i havent had the time to try to figure that one out either.
Image


With the Beatstep have you implemented a shift function to double the number of knobs?
Initially I used one of the pads, but now I use the caps lock key (has to be kept pressed like a shift key).

Ian
IanS
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Postby NNN636228568741858362 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 pm

IanS wrote:
NNN636228568741858362 wrote:
JasonP wrote:I use a Arturia Beeatstep, really makes editing a pleasure. Just wish some of the sliders could go in smaller increments.

Got 16+1 Knobs
+16 Buttons

Image



That's what I use as well. I just wish there was a version with more knobs, I use those far more than I do the buttons. I did purchase the Arturia Spark Spark for this reason, but I could never figure out how to write the file to import into it so that I could get it to work like my beatstep.

Then I bought a Beheringer BCR-2000 but i havent had the time to try to figure that one out either.


With the Beatstep have you implemented a shift function to double the number of knobs?
Initially I used one of the pads, but now I use the caps lock key (has to be kept pressed like a shift key).

Ian


No, I didn't know that was possible, does that interfere with shortcuts inside capture one that use the shift key? Or does that shift key only operate within the controller itself?

One of the reasons i was really hopeful for the Spark was that it has 24 standard knobs that can each be assigned twice based on the 1-8/9-16 button.
Plus it just has a ton more buttons which would be nice for changing the cursor tool.

While on the topic since you seem far more knowledgeable about this than I. Is it possible to use more than one Beatstep at the same time? They would enumerate with the OS as a unique device, and the Arturia software would see them as unique devices. Any idea if Bome could handle that?
NNN636228568741858362
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Re: Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Postby Roman8 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:53 pm

NNN636784893298407090 wrote:Hi,
5. Set the X-Touch as midi in- and output in BMTP
6. In the right window of BMTP check if "Capture MIDI" is checked


Hi, I downloaded everything but can't make it work. For some reason, exposure decreases when I turn the knob several times and doesn't increase at all.

Also I didnt get where should I add these lines (5 and 6).

Could you help me? Thanks
Roman8
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:05 am

Re: Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Postby NNN636228568741858362 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:13 am

Roman8 wrote:
NNN636784893298407090 wrote:Hi,
5. Set the X-Touch as midi in- and output in BMTP
6. In the right window of BMTP check if "Capture MIDI" is checked


Hi, I downloaded everything but can't make it work. For some reason, exposure decreases when I turn the knob several times and doesn't increase at all.

Also I didnt get where should I add these lines (5 and 6).

Could you help me? Thanks


I've run into this as well, but in reverse. You'll need to diagnose if its a software or hardware issue. In my case its a hardware issue. If you open up Bome Midi Translator and monitor the output you'll see the messages that its sending. In my situation the knob is not sending the proper signals when I turn counterclockwise by one notch, and is sending multiple signals when I turn clockwise by one notch.
That's a hardware problem. If you dont see that, then check to make sure the keystroke in BOME exactly matches what you set in Capture one. Sometimes a random space or other keystroke will end up getting in one of them.

If you're seeing the same type problem that I'm seeing in BOME, then its a hardware issue. The potentiometer in the Beatstep is not working as it should. If its under warranty, contact Auturia and explain the situation, if you're no longer under warranty like I am. Either deal with it, or find another device. I'm planning on keeping an eye out for broken units so I can swap out that single component.
NNN636228568741858362
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Re: Controlling Capture One 12 with Behringer X-Touch mini

Postby IanS » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:05 am

No, I didn't know that was possible, does that interfere with shortcuts inside capture one that use the shift key? Or does that shift key only operate within the controller itself?

One of the reasons i was really hopeful for the Spark was that it has 24 standard knobs that can each be assigned twice based on the 1-8/9-16 button.
Plus it just has a ton more buttons which would be nice for changing the cursor tool.

While on the topic since you seem far more knowledgeable about this than I. Is it possible to use more than one Beatstep at the same time? They would enumerate with the OS as a unique device, and the Arturia software would see them as unique devices. Any idea if Bome could handle that?[/quote]

No it doesn't interfere with anything if you use a pad as the shift key or the keyboard caps lock key but by using the caps lock key you save a pad.

You can see how I have the Beatstep configured for V11 here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/01pg0lp27iaq ... hElXa?dl=0

Yes, I think you can use more than 1 input but I have not done this.
IanS
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm


Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests