Colorproblems from C1 to PS export

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Colorproblems from C1 to PS export

Postby Thode » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:11 am

First of all, if this is discussed before please point me to that thread, since I couldnt find anything.

Thing is, the colors in the viewer of C1 are behaving differently from anything else. Neither export files (TIF,JPG or else) nor color profile (AdobeRGB, sRGB) settings results in the same look as the image I see in the C1 Viewer.

Its especially visible on yellowish, small particles. (golddust on almost black background) As if the microkontrast is boosted in that special area.

My Camera is a Nikon Z 7.
Photoshop is set to either sRGB or AdobeRGB, endresult still slightly off from the C1 viewer image.

Can someone please help me out, since I ran out of options in trying:
- various colorprofiles
- various monitors
- various ICC profiles
- various im- and export versions (exporting JPG in sRGB yields the best result but still doesnt match the C1 viewer image)
Thode

Re: Colorproblems from C1 to PS export

Postby tenmangu81 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:26 am

Hi Thode,

My images are exactly the same, on the same display, with C1 and any other application (Photoshop, Affinity Photo).
This is how I proceed:
First you have to chose, in Capture One, the colour space you are working in. This can be set with the Process Recipe, provided you check "selected recipe" in the "View -> Proof profile" menu. It is better to chose a large color space, such as Prophoto RGB or Prostar RGB. Then you edit the image with your application (PS, Affinity Photo,...) and you should chose as input color space in this app the same as in Capture One. If you use Photoshop, you should skip Adobe Camera Raw, otherwise it will result in the opening of your image with an other engine than Capture One : two engines will give you two different results. Skipping Camera Raw can be selected in the PS preferences.
You should display your images resulting from the two softwares on the the same screen.
A JPEG in sRGB seems the worst export option to match with your RAW in your Process Recipe colourspace (except if it is also sRGB...).

Robert
tenmangu81

Postby Thode » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi Robert,

thanks for the input. I don't open the RAW files in Photoshop once developed in C1. But I open the RAW files from the edit in PS menu in C1. I'll give it another shot with my colorprofile settings - that must be it.

A JPEG in sRGB seems the worst export option to match with your RAW in your Process Recipe colourspace (except if it is also sRGB...).

I know, right? But that is the one that looks better than any other option ....
Thode

Postby tenmangu81 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Thode wrote:But I open the RAW files from the edit in PS menu in C1. I'll give it another shot with my colorprofile settings - that must be it.

Yes, probably.
Why don't you export your images direct from Capture One ? This is what I do for Flickr, and it works quite well !!
This is my config to do it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/di4o0atpc03bs ... t.jpg?dl=0

Robert
tenmangu81

Postby ben_US » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Additionally, you should always compare your preview in Capture One to the image in PS both at 100%. There is going to be a discrepancy in scaling between applications, and it sounds like you are going to experience that with your image. This is also helpful if you incorporate the Recipe Proofing mode.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby Maggie12 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:14 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:Hi Thode,

My images are exactly the same, on the same display, with C1 and any other application (Photoshop, Affinity Photo).
This is how I proceed:
First you have to chose, in Capture One, the colour space you are working in. This can be set with the Process Recipe, provided you check "selected recipe" in the "View -> Proof profile" menu. It is better to chose a large color space, such as Prophoto RGB or Prostar RGB. Then you edit the image with your application (PS, Affinity Photo,...) and you should chose as input color space in this app the same as in Capture One. If you use Photoshop, you should skip Adobe Camera Raw, otherwise it will result in the opening of your image with an other engine than Capture One : two engines will give you two different results. Skipping Camera Raw can be selected in the PS preferences.
You should display your images resulting from the two softwares on the the same screen.

Robert

I'm having exactly the same issue. The proof profile is is set to "selected recipe" and the Process Recipe's ICC profile is set to ProPhoto (there is no ProPhoto RGB, I'm assuming that's the same thing). In Photoshop, in color settings, I have the working space set to ProPhoto RGB. The colors of the image in Photoshop do not look the same as in C1. What am I doing wrong?
Maggie12

Postby tenmangu81 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 pm

Maggie12 wrote:
I'm having exactly the same issue. The proof profile is is set to "selected recipe" and the Process Recipe's ICC profile is set to ProPhoto (there is no ProPhoto RGB, I'm assuming that's the same thing). In Photoshop, in color settings, I have the working space set to ProPhoto RGB. The colors of the image in Photoshop do not look the same as in C1. What am I doing wrong?

When you edit your image with Photoshop, do you go through the "Adobe Camera Raw" window prior to open the image in PS or not ?
tenmangu81

Postby Maggie12 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:02 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:
Maggie12 wrote:

When you edit your image with Photoshop, do you go through the "Adobe Camera Raw" window prior to open the image in PS or not ?

No. I have my recipe in C1 set to open the file in PS and that's exactly what happens. The file opens but the colors are different.
Maggie12

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac