TIFs returned from Affinity Photo over-exposed

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

TIFs returned from Affinity Photo over-exposed

Postby ShaneB » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:59 am

Hi

For a couple of weeks now, images round-tripped from C1 to Affinity Photo are coming back anywhere from 0.7 to 1.5 stops over exposed.

I'm at a loss as to why. I don't recall changing settings in either application.

Has anyone else had this problem - or even better, can anyone suggest a solution?

TIA
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB

Re: TIFs returned from Affinity Photo over-exposed

Postby Mark BCN » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Oddly, I see the opposite :? . Choose edit-with (TIFF) and Affinity, save the image without having made any edits, and the resulting file viewed in CO12 is sometimes a stop underexposed. This is with HiRes mode images with the E-M1 II.

In my case it is more an annoyance than a problem, as it does not look like there is any value clipping in the shadows - and a simple exposure adjustment fixes the problem.
Mark BCN

Postby SFA » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Are you using Proofing, if so, and have you checked the active Output recipe?
SFA

Postby ShaneB » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 am

SFA wrote:Are you using Proofing, if so, and have you checked the active Output recipe?

Thanks. I'm not really sure what you mean by that! <blush>

My process has been to right click on the image > Edit With > select Affinity Photo > go with a 16 bit ProPhoto uncompressed TIFF. It worked seamlessly until a couple of weeks back.

Just then, I created a new Output Recipe along the lines above. Then, with the recipe selected, I sent the image to AP. It came back about 0.75 stops over exposed.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB

Postby SFA » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:27 am

In your output recipe what ICC profile are you sing?

Does the exposure look about right when first opened in Affinity?

What changes do you make in Affinity?

Viewing the image after exporting it and sending it back from Affinity what ICC profile is reported?

There are 2 parts possible to Proofing.

You can set a value for a Proof Profile to use to see what an image might look like when printed (for example). This can be any profile available to your system.

Of you can activate the Recipe Proofing option which will use the information in the currently active Output Recipe (which will also make use of the specified ICC profile in the recipe but also adds some other simulated adjustments for sharpening and takes into account any crop factors.).

Based on what you observed about the issue appearing after creating a new recipe it would be logical to check and understand what may be going on with that (or those since you have first an output and then revisit the image when it is returned) in the first instance.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby ShaneB » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:15 am

SFA wrote:In your output recipe what ICC profile are you sing?

ProPhoto

SFA wrote:Does the exposure look about right when first opened in Affinity?

Yes

SFA wrote:What changes do you make in Affinity?

I only use it when C1 can't handle a blemish, and use its Inpainting Brush tool. Otherwise, I do 99% of my processing in C1.

SFA wrote:Viewing the image after exporting it and sending it back from Affinity what ICC profile is reported?

ProPhoto.

SFA wrote:There are 2 parts possible to Proofing.

You can set a value for a Proof Profile to use to see what an image might look like when printed (for example). This can be any profile available to your system.

Of you can activate the Recipe Proofing option which will use the information in the currently active Output Recipe (which will also make use of the specified ICC profile in the recipe but also adds some other simulated adjustments for sharpening and takes into account any crop factors.).

Based on what you observed about the issue appearing after creating a new recipe it would be logical to check and understand what may be going on with that (or those since you have first an output and then revisit the image when it is returned) in the first instance.

Oops! I obviously haven't made myself clear on that last point. The issue seems to have appeared without any action on my part - or at least, any action I can recall.

I'm not aware of there being an interaction between recipes and round-tripping - though I'll happily be put straight on that if needs be. Doesn't C1 simply create a file based on the settings which pop up after you select "Edit with"?

Regards

Grant[/quote]
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB

Postby SFA » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:23 pm

ShaneB wrote:
Oops! I obviously haven't made myself clear on that last point. The issue seems to have appeared without any action on my part - or at least, any action I can recall.

I'm not aware of there being an interaction between recipes and round-tripping - though I'll happily be put straight on that if needs be. Doesn't C1 simply create a file based on the settings which pop up after you select "Edit with"?

Regards

The use of proofing in not connected to output processing other than in terms of the results of the interpretation presented in the screen.

So if you have Recipe Proofing turned on when viewing the file try turning it off and vice versa. (The C1 version, the C1 output version and the returned Affinity version. This is all part of trying to identify where the apparent changes occur and what factors might be involved.)

In more general terms what do you have set for Proof Profile (not necessarily the same as Recipe Profile).

At this point don't worry too much about whether or not you can think of anything that has changed - in terms of working out where the difference comes from that is probably just a distraction.

Grant
SFA

Postby ShaneB » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:45 am

SFA wrote:So if you have Recipe Proofing turned on when viewing the file try turning it off and vice versa. (The C1 version, the C1 output version and the returned Affinity version. This is all part of trying to identify where the apparent changes occur and what factors might be involved.)

In more general terms what do you have set for Proof Profile (not necessarily the same as Recipe Profile).

At this point don't worry too much about whether or not you can think of anything that has changed - in terms of working out where the difference comes from that is probably just a distraction.

Thanks Grant

Ok, I just tried round-tripping from C1 to Affinity Photo using three different proof profiles: one of my output recipes, the ProPhoto RGB Output profile and the "Managed by printer (no proofing)" profile. The same result in each case: around 0.8 stops over-exposed.

At the end of the day, it's no big deal - I don't round-trip very often and I can manually bring the exposure back. It's simply annoying - and weird that this should have started with no obvious cause.

Regards
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac