Migrating with Capture One on my iMac

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Migrating with Capture One on my iMac

Postby NNN636452453518237846 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Hello

I have C1 in version DB and Sony Express.

I started with C10 then came quickly C11 and I was invited to migrate. Which I did.

When I opened C11, I saw that all my catalogs were gone. I had to import them manually.

Same thing happened with C12 but this time, I have much more catalogs to re-import.

I have to be accurate my catalog and photos are in a NAS drive.

I really do not understand. I have no such thing with LR.... :(

Kind regards
NNN636452453518237846

Re: Migrating with Capture One on my iMac

Postby Ian3 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Its not entirely clear what you are saying. But when you upgrade to a new version of Capture One, the old catalogs and sessions will not show on the recent list - it starts again from scratch. But you can navigate to the old catalog or session and open it using File>Open... or through Finder. The first time you do, it will require you to upgrade the catalog or session to version 12. The reason it has to do this is that each updated version has new features that the old version of the database doesn't know about (for example, Luma Ranges in version 12) so a new-style database is created. (And the old one is backed up.)

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN636452453518237846 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:07 am

hello Ian
Thanks.
yes indeed each time. I migrate Capture One, It is like a new beginning. I have to import manually my catalogs through File>Open....
I hope that I don't want to infer that I will have to import always my catalogs and sessions or run into parallel 2-3 versions of C1.... :oops: ???
I am certainly not the only one to whom it happens ?? Why C1 is not able to offer to run a small script to import catalogs from old version ?
Kind regards
NNN636452453518237846

Postby SFA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:44 am

NNN636452453518237846 wrote:hello Ian
Thanks.
yes indeed each time. I migrate Capture One, It is like a new beginning. I have to import manually my catalogs through File>Open....
I hope that I don't want to infer that I will have to import always my catalogs and sessions or run into parallel 2-3 versions of C1.... :oops: ???
I am certainly not the only one to whom it happens ?? Why C1 is not able to offer to run a small script to import catalogs from old version ?
Kind regards

People might not wish to that and they can continue to use older versions for the images processed in older versions should they wish to do so.

In effect there is not NEED to update everything unless you wish to do so.

That said I think most catalogue users probably only have one or two catalogues and so it is not a huge task.

I use sessions and leave them as they are until the time comes that I wish to open an old session and do something with an image within it. I have not special desire to update all the sessions and it is not something that is forced upon us.

That said as you are running on a Mac it could well be possible to create a script to bulk update catalogues should you wish to. I would not do the same for updating the processing engine for images within the catalogue since there are times when new features will change the results and therefore, in my opinion, an unnecessary bulk change is not desirable for the images.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:16 am

I think that there is a misunderstanding here about Capture One "importing" catalogs (and sessions). The catalogs are not "in" Capture One 11 or "in" Capture One 12. They are documents on your computer rather like a Word document or an Excel spreadsheet, which are not "in" Word or Excel. If and when you open on old catalog, Capture One can convert it for you to its new format. Until you actually want to use a version 11 catalog or session, there is really nothing to be gained by it being converted to version 12. I have not counted, but I must have over 100 Capture One sessions on my system (and one master catalog). I see no advantage in each new release of Capture One churning through 100 sessions converting them instead of just converting them as and when (if ever) I need to use them.

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 12.x Software