X-Rite color checker ICC profile

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

X-Rite color checker ICC profile

Postby GrahamB3 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:25 pm

X-Rite has beta software to enable user created ICC profiles for Capture One.

https://xritephoto.com/CameraICC
AMD Ryzen 2700x, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 1960 6GB, Win10 pro.
GrahamB3

Re: X-Rite color checker ICC profile

Postby NNN635018233259472077 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:37 am

In Windows, how do I set the the ICC to None in the Windows version when setting up the TIFF file.
Duh, never mind, I found it!
Thanks in advance.
PauL
NNN635018233259472077

Postby NNN635018233259472077 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:16 pm

So, I figured out how to create the profile finally in the middle of the night. Probably not the best time to do so. Now that I have a completed profile, how do I use it? There's no tutorial on how to use it for the job that I made the ICC profile for. What setting do I use for the photos and how do I introduce the new profile into my workflow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
NNN635018233259472077

Postby David532 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:15 pm

NNN635018233259472077 wrote:So, I figured out how to create the profile finally in the middle of the night. Probably not the best time to do so. Now that I have a completed profile, how do I use it? There's no tutorial on how to use it for the job that I made the ICC profile for. What setting do I use for the photos and how do I introduce the new profile into my workflow.

Paul

Not got CO open in front of me but as I remember from experimenting yesterday you will find your new profile in other in the depths of the profile drop down, select this and leave curve on auto. More info in this link
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/in ... msg1088395
David532

Postby GrahamB3 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:21 pm

NNN635018233259472077 wrote:So, I figured out how to create the profile finally in the middle of the night. Probably not the best time to do so. Now that I have a completed profile, how do I use it? There's no tutorial on how to use it for the job that I made the ICC profile for. What setting do I use for the photos and how do I introduce the new profile into my workflow.

Paul

Profiles are applied in the "Color" (3 intersecting circles) tab. One may add the "profiles" tool (base characteristics) to any tab.
AMD Ryzen 2700x, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 1960 6GB, Win10 pro.
GrahamB3

Postby JimCorenman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Paul, here's what I did-- and I would welcome suggestions, I am sure there is a better way. This is for Windows, the folders will be different for Mac.

Basically you export a 16-bit TIF from C1 with no adjustments, no color-correction and a flat curve, and drop that into the new CP with "ICC" selected. Then save the new profile with a C1-format filename into C1's user-profile folder.

C1 saves user profiles in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Color Profiles". If you follow C1's naming protocol then the new profile will appear as a selection at the top of the "ICC Profiles" list. C1's format for profile names is C1's internal name for the camera, then a hyphen, then the profile name. Restart C1, what then shows in th ICC Profiles list is just the profile name, along with others for that camera. Use the "..." button to set that as the default for that camera.

It is not obvious where C1's internal camera names come from, I followed the examples used by C1's internal profiles located here: "C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 12\Color Profiles\DSLR". For example our Canon 5D-4 was listed as CanonEOS5DMk4-Generic". I followed that name format, changing "Generic" to my own name and then saved it in the "AppData" folder above.

By default, the new Colorchecker Passport (CP) software saves new profiles to the system color-profile folders (C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color). That may work also, but I think you have to dig under "other" to find them. Instead I changed CP's save-to folder to C1's user-profile folder under AppData (above), and changed the filename per C1's naming format. It is a little fiddly but worked perfectly.

The results for my 5D-4 were significantly better than the C1 generic profile, and are a much better match to the original card.

I hope this helps, other suggestions are most welcome!
JimCorenman

Postby TommyDom » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 pm

I tried the XRite software and was able to produce a new ICC profile for my Leica SL. However, I found that my colors were saturated too much. I read that the ICC produced would be fine for use on any capture made by the camera and used a series of bracketed pictures to see what I would get and even tried different lenses in different light. All of the exposures >= 0.0 were too saturated and had many blown highlights. I looked for options akin to what Lumariver supplies, but found nothing. I was hoping for a high value (meaning low cost) option for ICC generation, but think I will have to try the Lumariver software.

On a trial version of Lumariver I downloaded today, it seems that C1v12 has a bug and that the TIFF exports are not working as expected by Lumariver... PhaseOne acknowledged the bug and is working on a fix. C1v11 is supposed to work, but I would need to reinstall that to try - not likely something I will do with the bug fix "coming soon".

Tommy.
TommyDom

Postby NNN635018233259472077 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:32 pm

I figured out how to generate the ICC with with X-Rite passport, but I'm not entirely sure how to use it after it's done. In the Color panel I select the new ICC in the Base Characteristics ICC Profile drop down box, but do I leave the Curve section to Auto or Linear? Also, do I leave the White Balance to Shot or something else?

One more thing, can I adjust the exposure in the color checker file before I create the TIFF? For example, let's say I over or under exposure the color checker and make the corrections in CO before exporting the image. Will that affect the overall look and accuracy of the ICC?

I'm planning on shooting some color sensitive items and want to nail this process down so I can feel confident I'm doing it right.

And It's not a Plugin! If it was a plugin, we could do this within CO and not have to reboot CO all the time.

Any help for a confused photographer would be greatly appreciated!!

Paul
NNN635018233259472077

Postby Fuji-X-Shooter » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi,
I just finished my color workflow setup in COP12.
I tried the X-Rite beta software, but it didn't work very good.

I finally found a software, that got it right. It's called Lumariver Profiler. You need the Pro version, to be able to create ICC profiles.
Just follow this description: http://www.lumariver.com/lrpd-manual/#c1_workflows

Save the created profile in this folder: C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 12\Color Profiles\DSLR
(Note: you have to change the file extension from ".icc" to ".icm". Otherwise Capture One won't recognize it. And to use "film - standard" for the curve source TIFF)

Then you select the newly created profile in the "Base characteristics" tool and set the curve to "film - standard".

First, I wasn't so happy with the results until I discovered, that I had to shoot the Color Checker target in bright sunlight (I did an exposure bracket, to get the right, brightness 220 file). After that it was a difference like day and night. All of a sudden, the Images looked as vivid and colorful as in real life on the (calibrated) screen and as a print on my (calibrated) printer.

There's also a good video from Martin Bailey, that did help me a lot to understand how it works.
https://martinbaileyphotography.com/201 ... dcast-617/

The whole thing might cost you a weekend, but in my opinion it's totally worth it!

Cheers
Michael
Fuji-X-Shooter

Postby Fuji-X-Shooter » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:23 pm

On a trial version of Lumariver I downloaded today, it seems that C1v12 has a bug and that the TIFF exports are not working as expected by Lumariver... PhaseOne acknowledged the bug and is working on a fix. C1v11 is supposed to work, but I would need to reinstall that to try - not likely something I will do with the bug fix "coming soon".

Tommy.[/quote]

The bug is fixed in Capture One 12.0.2 :D

And there's an option in Lumariver to "Add Transfer Funktion to TIFF". That's sometimes neccessary to add the gamma reference to the file.

Cheers
Michael
Fuji-X-Shooter

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows