Add an image to a catalog

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Add an image to a catalog

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:41 pm

I have a catalog of images for one of our trips and noticed that one of the raw images is not in the catalog. I assume I removed it for one reason or another, or perhaps it was not included in the original import. For whatever reason I wanted to add it to the catalog and import it, but when I tried selected that single image and importing it I got the error message:

Skipping file during import

This leaves me with 2 questions. First, why is it skipping the image? It is not already displayed as an existing image.

And, second, is there any way to import one or more images into an existing catalog and still display all of the already imported image? When I tried importing the above image all of the other images that were displayed in the filmstrip disappeared. I assume the new import replaced all of the existing imported images. How can you add new images to an existing catalog? Or combine two or more catalogs into one?
MikeFromMesa

Re: Add an image to a catalog

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Skipping file during import suggests that it is in the catalog, and C1 is avoiding importing a duplicate. If it isn't showing, it could be that it is not where you think it is, for instance it has ended up in the trash. Or that Capture One has got its database in a bit of a muddle and you could try using the verify catalog or session feature.

Ian
Ian3

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Ian3 wrote:Skipping file during import suggests that it is in the catalog, and C1 is avoiding importing a duplicate. If it isn't showing, it could be that it is not where you think it is, for instance it has ended up in the trash. Or that Capture One has got its database in a bit of a muddle and you could try using the verify catalog or session feature.

In this particular case the image exists in the folder structure. I can see it in Finder and it showed up when I created a second catalog and imported the raw images. I suppose I might have removed it, but that should have removed it from the catalog as well. It is just puzzling and I suppose the catalog could be in a bit of a muddle.

A related question. Is there any way to do the import so that only raw images get imported? I could not find any "Import only raw images" setting on the import dialog and what I have been doing is sorting the images by suffix and then selecting only the raw (ORF in my case) images for the import. I assume this is some easier way to do that, but I don't know what it is.
MikeFromMesa

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:08 pm

Have you tried right clicking the folder and choosing synchronise?

Ian

PS - I believe there is a way of importing only raws, but I can't remember what it is!
Ian3

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Ian3 wrote:Have you tried right clicking the folder and choosing synchronise?

Ian

PS - I believe there is a way of importing only raws, but I can't remember what it is!

Thanks for the assistance. I will try to puzzle it out.

Perhaps I need to read the manual? :D :D :D
MikeFromMesa

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Someone mentioned importing only raws in a post recently, I think. You might find it with a search. Or you could order the files in the import window by extension and then select only the raw ones quite easily.

Ian
Ian3

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Ian3 wrote:Or you could order the files in the import window by extension and then select only the raw ones quite easily.

That is what I have been doing, but I thought there had to be a simpler way to handle this than manual selection. But then this would hardly be the first time I have been wrong ...
MikeFromMesa

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:50 pm

OK. Found it. Google (sometimes) is your friend.

You can filter out file types in the View menu and then they do not show up in the import dialog window.
MikeFromMesa

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:23 pm

MikeFromMesa wrote:OK. Found it. Google (sometimes) is your friend.

You can filter out file types in the View menu and then they do not show up in the import dialog window.

Yep.

Also mentioned by DG following a watcher's comment in a recent Webinar re Catalogues (V12 series of webinars).

Plus you can save the search as a preset for future re-use.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac