LR vs C1 - matching very basic workflow

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

LR vs C1 - matching very basic workflow

Postby NNN636850787749791737 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Hello everybody,

I am an amateur photographer, what I like most to do is to try and capture semi-candid portraits, favorite focal length being between 50 and 85mm but I also like to experiment some seascape since I live on an island and have plenty of time in the offseason.

My question: since I am not that good at post processing cause I like to try and get the shot in camera I perform very few adjustments in LightRoom, on a portrait it usually consist of:

- lens correction
- White Balance, trying with Auto vs Capture and sometimes a manual adjustment but that's all usually
- Auto adjustment which is a base to work on
- If using Auto adjustment I would usually reset the contrast slider

- would usually do three adjustments on the eyes, work on iris exposure, darken a little the pupil and outer iris edge, finally then use the teeth brightening to a degree to adjust the eye's white part
- add some clarity
- adjust sharpness
- eventually work with curves
- often add some vignette to highlight the face

so, this all said, how easy/difficult would be to replicate the same workflow in C1? I have seen videos where I liked a lot how to work with layers and the "luma gamma" to select a specific part of the image based on the light interval (sorry, English not being my mother tongue I can't always find the right translation to what I am thinking in Italian), I also like how to select colors to be adjusted which would come really useful with seascape/landscape, so, thinking of an alternative to the Adobe monopoly I would like to hear from real time users if my workflow can be replicated on C1 with no steep learning curve (ok, I am too lazy at post processing, I like to spend time handling the camera rather than sliders...).

You can see some of my captures on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/

Grazie

Giovanni
NNN636850787749791737

Re: LR vs C1 - matching very basic workflow

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:56 pm

After going through your list of adjustments I think that:

If you can do it in Lr, you can do it in Capture One.

You only can convince yourself with the 30-day free trial.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636850787749791737 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Bene,

gonna download and install the trial but let's take one step at a time, since tools are different I'd like to understand what does, to mention one, the same effect as "teeth whitening" in LR, that's what I use to enhance eyes, it's a combo of exposure increase and saturation decrease, I guess one should create a layer and then work locally with a brush to do both, is that correct?

Grazie

Giovanni
NNN636850787749791737

Postby Ian3 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:27 pm

Yes you could do exactly that.

Ian
Ian3

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration