Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby sangiovese9 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:06 am

If I choose a printer/paper ICC profile from the "Color Profile" selector in the C1 Print interface, the ICC is not correctly applied to the printed output. If I instead open the "Print Settings" panel and choose the ICC from within the "Color Matching" "Color Sync" selector of the printer driver, then the ICC is correctly applied to the printed output. Using C1 Pro 12.0.1 on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2.
sangiovese9
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:13 am

Re: Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby tenmangu81 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi,

I already observed that (in prior versions of C1 too), so that I decided to print using the Photoshop printing module, and I print that way for a long time now. I think we are not alone, as, if I remember well, some people already noticed this issue.
I'll have to check the workaround you mention (using the printer driver rather than the ICC field in Capture One).
tenmangu81
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby NNN636806701045444139 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:07 am

This is really terrible. How can C1 not address something as fundamental as printing and tout itself to compete as workflow application.
Have you guys received confirmation from support that this is an accepted bug - or any time frames for a proposed fix?
NNN636806701045444139
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Re: Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby sangiovese9 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:11 pm

I've not heard anything about this being a bug. However, I think since around the time of Capture One 8, Phase One has let the printing functionality languish. Over the last 3 years or so, they have been emphasizing Process Recipes for using external printing services or online posting of images. I haven't seen any tutorial from Phase One on the print module in the last 3 years, but much has been made of Process Recipes for external publication of images.
sangiovese9
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:13 am

Re: Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby SFA » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:41 pm

sangiovese9 wrote:I've not heard anything about this being a bug. However, I think since around the time of Capture One 8, Phase One has let the printing functionality languish. Over the last 3 years or so, they have been emphasizing Process Recipes for using external printing services or online posting of images. I haven't seen any tutorial from Phase One on the print module in the last 3 years, but much has been made of Process Recipes for external publication of images.


Probably because that us what most people do if they do not use Photoshop and, in effect, most of the printing functionality is ultimately controlled by the printer drivers.
SFA
 
Posts: 6957
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby ChrisM » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:13 am

SFA wrote:
sangiovese9 wrote:I've not heard anything about this being a bug. However, I think since around the time of Capture One 8, Phase One has let the printing functionality languish. Over the last 3 years or so, they have been emphasizing Process Recipes for using external printing services or online posting of images. I haven't seen any tutorial from Phase One on the print module in the last 3 years, but much has been made of Process Recipes for external publication of images.


Probably because that us what most people do if they do not use Photoshop and, in effect, most of the printing functionality is ultimately controlled by the printer drivers.


But certainly not color management, which should by all means be controlled by Photoshop or CO1....

Chris
ChrisM
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby sangiovese9 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:19 am

Since the Capture One print module allows direct access to the printer driver (via "Print Settings...") where ICC printer/paper profiles can be correctly applied outside of C1, it would be fine if Phase One simply removed the "Color Profile" selection box. That way, someone new to printing from C1 wouldn't waste paper and time comparing ICC printer/paper profile results.
sangiovese9
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:13 am

Re: Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby NNN636806701045444139 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:17 am

Over the last few days I’ve had issues with C1s watermark printing. Someone earlier in this post has very aptly called out thag c1 has languished in this space.
Printing after all is the final gasp of joy in ones workflow - atleasg for me it is.
Frustrated, i went and tried qimage one- I was blown away. Side by side prints showed stellar sharpness, a bit more brightness and better color reproductuon.
One might argue that both the apps are using the same underlying driver and ice profiles- without getting into the nuances all il say is the qimage looked significantly better than C1.
I enjoy using C1 and hope they can either accomadate qimage or get up to speed. The status quo however leaves a lot to be desired.
NNN636806701045444139
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Re: Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby SFA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:38 pm

ChrisM wrote:
SFA wrote:
sangiovese9 wrote:I've not heard anything about this being a bug. However, I think since around the time of Capture One 8, Phase One has let the printing functionality languish. Over the last 3 years or so, they have been emphasizing Process Recipes for using external printing services or online posting of images. I haven't seen any tutorial from Phase One on the print module in the last 3 years, but much has been made of Process Recipes for external publication of images.


Probably because that us what most people do if they do not use Photoshop and, in effect, most of the printing functionality is ultimately controlled by the printer drivers.


But certainly not color management, which should by all means be controlled by Photoshop or CO1....

Chris


So long as the printer driver knows that is what is required.
SFA
 
Posts: 6957
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby ColourPhil » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:27 pm

Printer profiles cannot be correctly applied in many printer drivers! You may have had Custom Profiles made for your own printer and choice of paper. They also often don't allow the choice of rendering intent or Black Point Compensation.
There are several bugs with CO and Colour Management, such as profile selection 'disappearing' and not being saved with templates. I reported these to Phase over a year ago and they agreed they were bugs!
This is something which PS and LR do much better, as do Qimage. I didn't upgrade to CO12 because of this.
I prefer to have control over my printing, and I make a living in Colour Management.

More info on printing:
https://www.colourphil.co.uk/printing-canon-mac.shtml
https://www.colourphil.co.uk/printing-epson-mac.shtml
ColourPhil
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: Herts., U.K.

Re: Printer ICC profiles incorrectly applied

Postby ChrisM » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:08 pm

ColourPhil wrote:Printer profiles cannot be correctly applied in many printer drivers! You may have had Custom Profiles made for your own printer and choice of paper. They also often don't allow the choice of rendering intent or Black Point Compensation.
There are several bugs with CO and Colour Management, such as profile selection 'disappearing' and not being saved with templates. I reported these to Phase over a year ago and they agreed they were bugs!
This is something which PS and LR do much better, as do Qimage. I didn't upgrade to CO12 because of this.
I prefer to have control over my printing, and I make a living in Colour Management.

More info on printing:
https://www.colourphil.co.uk/printing-canon-mac.shtml
https://www.colourphil.co.uk/printing-epson-mac.shtml


+1
Phase One should really up their bug-squashing. So many bugs discussed have been reported sometimes more than a year ago. But it seems this is simply not in the cards.

Chris
ChrisM
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:39 pm


Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NNN637093647596865711 and 4 guests