sRGB vs. Adobe RGB

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

sRGB vs. Adobe RGB

Postby DanDev » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:31 am

For exporting JPEGS to the web, is it better to use sRGB IEC61966-2.1 or Adobe RGB. Or something else? I've read a few different articles, and it just confused me more.
Thanks for the help.
DanDev

Re: sRGB vs. Adobe RGB

Postby Ian3 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:47 am

The usual advice seems to be that for the web, sRGB is the thing to use. Most browsers won't display anything else, as I understand it.

Ian
Ian3

Postby C-M-B » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Ian is absolutely right, for anything web related, sRGB is best - at least for now.
A lot of modern browsers are colour managed and able to display AdobeRGB correctly but not all of them - and especialy not older versions.
So if you want to be 100% sure that everyone (including smartphone/tablet owners) are able to see the photos as there were intended, it's best to use sRGB.
C-M-B

Postby ClauS » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:56 pm

C-M-B wrote:Ian is absolutely right, for anything web related, sRGB is best - at least for now.
A lot of modern browsers are colour managed and able to display AdobeRGB correctly but not all of them - and especialy not older versions.
So if you want to be 100% sure that everyone (including smartphone/tablet owners) are able to see the photos as there were intended, it's best to use sRGB.

Actually without a proper color managed environment you can't really be sure of anything. The extreme example in this case would be a wide gamut monitor displaying an sRGB image on a browser or a viewer unable to manage color profiles. But for sure sRGB is the way to go for the web.
ClauS

Postby DanDev » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Thanks everyone.
DanDev

Postby Keith Reeder » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:22 am

ClauS wrote:Actually without a proper color managed environment you can't really be sure of anything.

You can't be sure about anything (except how images look on your monitor or printed) even then.

So yes, for general web presentation - sRGB is the way to go.
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby ClauS » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:
ClauS wrote:Actually without a proper color managed environment you can't really be sure of anything.

You can't be sure about anything (except how images look on your monitor or printed) even then.

You're right! Except that you trust your eyes even without color management because you believe what you see. So you can always be sure of how images look on your monitor or printed because they just look how they look and you see them how they look (that doesn't mean that they look as they should) and they always look the same. Actually we could say that you can always be sure that you can never be sure. So it seems that you can always be sure of something in any case. It sounds like a paradox. :lol:
Yes, I'm joking.

Obviously, what I meant is that if you correctly apply color management and the viewer does the same you can expect (or hope) that you both are going to see something similar (limited by many factors like monitors gamut, monitors quality, rendering intent, viewing conditions and so on) but you can't expect it (even though I should say that it could happen by chance) if any of you does not have a color managed environment.

To make it easy we should invite the entire world to come to our house to see our pictures. Only then we could be sure they see them as we do... except if they are color-blind or what else! :mrgreen:
ClauS

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows