rebuild corrupt keywords

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

rebuild corrupt keywords

Postby NNN636428017489683868 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:25 am

I have a catalog with about 7000 images. All are tagged with Keywords.
Somehow C1 does not find all the images with this tags.

For example I have a hierarchical keyword: Tier>Insekte>Käfer>Marienkäfer.
When C1 browses through the catalog it finds 10 entries (that seems korrect... hopefully).
When I click on the keyword (leftside on the library-filter) it shows only 2 images even the counter sais 10.
Checking the known 10 images, there the keywords are correctly shown.
Pressing the foldericon to the corresponding folder - im my case i get the 5 images and the library-filter shows 5 (as it should be).

-> I trided to export the catalog and attached this export, the catalogue seemd to be correct again. But the other day I realized that all the folder-information in the library has gone and did not find a way to rebuild that.

So my question: Is there a way to rebuild the keyword-structure and its counter? Or perhaps a function to build the folderstructure after exporting and attaching the new catalogue?
Last but not least: Is there a DB-Browser, so I could try to locate the problem myself.

Thanks for some help
NNN636428017489683868

Re: rebuild corrupt keywords

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:50 pm

The best option in Capture One I can think of is to verify the catalog database (File menu).
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636428017489683868 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Thanks Paul

for this hint - i overlooked this menu-item.

Unfortunately it did not help a lot. After repairing it was not really better. So I went back to an older save.
Browsing through my saves, every save had and stil has some DB-inconsistent. the sum of stars, colormarks, keywords does not match the entries of the catalog and every sum is different :-(

It really lacks having a tool that corrects the DB trououtly. - And actually it lacks of a mechanism, that warns when DB gets inconsistent - as even all my saves are inconsistent!!!
On the other hand, I realized, that building the keyword-filter takes ages (felt 15 minutes), with no progressindication or message when its finishes, so it seems the keywordconcept (witch I like basicaly) could be improoved very much.

Now I go back an do the work again, knowing to have inconsistency
NNN636428017489683868

Postby SFA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:07 pm

NNN636428017489683868 wrote:Thanks Paul

for this hint - i overlooked this menu-item.

Unfortunately it did not help a lot. After repairing it was not really better. So I went back to an older save.
Browsing through my saves, every save had and stil has some DB-inconsistent. the sum of stars, colormarks, keywords does not match the entries of the catalog and every sum is different :-(

It really lacks having a tool that corrects the DB trououtly. - And actually it lacks of a mechanism, that warns when DB gets inconsistent - as even all my saves are inconsistent!!!
On the other hand, I realized, that building the keyword-filter takes ages (felt 15 minutes), with no progressindication or message when its finishes, so it seems the keywordconcept (witch I like basicaly) could be improoved very much.

Now I go back an do the work again, knowing to have inconsistency

Do you sometimes create variants of your images when editing?
SFA

Postby NNN636428017489683868 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 am

Yes sometimes I create variants...
I will think this over, if this could be a reason...

Nevertheless the couter of the stars seems incredibly high!
I could manage to reset the stars by moving them from 4stars to 5, 3stars to 4 and so on until i moved 0stars to 1. - then there remained about 1500 entryes with no stars - but selecting them not one image was shown??? And no plan how to remove this 1500 empty entries...

Cheers Markus
NNN636428017489683868

Postby SFA » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:48 pm

NNN636428017489683868 wrote:Yes sometimes I create variants...
I will think this over, if this could be a reason...

Nevertheless the couter of the stars seems incredibly high!
I could manage to reset the stars by moving them from 4stars to 5, 3stars to 4 and so on until i moved 0stars to 1. - then there remained about 1500 entryes with no stars - but selecting them not one image was shown??? And no plan how to remove this 1500 empty entries...

Cheers Markus

When you create variants of an image if you make a NEW variant no stars, ratings or anything else are carried over to the variant.

If you CLONE a variant everything is copied from the original variant selected to the new variant created.

Whether you see the variants for an image depends on whether the current Prime variant for that image is in expanded mode. If not the variants (2 > *censored word*) will not be displayed but, so far as I can tell, will be indexed for ratings, colour tabs, etc.

In fact, everything.

In the Image drop down menu there is a function to "Expand All" and another for "Collapse All" ( or some similar local name if working in a non-English version) and I thing that may provide you with a way to check whether it is the behaviour I have described above that gives the results you see.

It could be slightly confusing if some of the images are already in expanded mode when you first count the numbers.

However if you look at the Browser's Search window you should see a count of the number of variants filtered into the search and that number includes any hidden variants related to the primary variant displayed.

HOWEVER if your variants have DIFFERENT values - for example different rating or colour association - they will be treated as separate images in the searches with NO indication that they share a common source file.

In terms of a search that is quite logical, IMO, but potentially confusing if one is not aware of it.

I think this COULD explain what you are seeing so it would be worth checking. However I will not claim it is the only possible explanation!

The quick and easy way to do that is to use the Filters tool usually found in the Library tab by default.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby mli20 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:04 pm

NNN636428017489683868 wrote:Is there a DB-Browser, so I could try to locate the problem myself.

I'm using DB Browser for SQLite, to be found at

https://sqlitebrowser.org/

NNN636428017489683868 wrote:On the other hand, I realized, that building the keyword-filter takes ages (felt 15 minutes), with no progressindication or message when its finishes, so it seems the keywordconcept (witch I like basicaly) could be improoved very much.

You may find this post about my understanding of the causes of the keyword-related performance problems in Capture One interesting:

https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=29890#p146701

MLI
Last edited by mli20 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mli20

Postby NNN636428017489683868 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:26 pm

BINGO

Hi Grant - this helped - all my sums are equal after Image-show all variants.

Funny, the sum is less then before - but looks correct!

So I am motivated to go on with C1.

Thanks, and have nice Sunday!
Markus
NNN636428017489683868

Postby SFA » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:40 pm

NNN636428017489683868 wrote:BINGO

Hi Grant - this helped - all my sums are equal after Image-show all variants.

Funny, the sum is less then before - but looks correct!

So I am motivated to go on with C1.

Thanks, and have nice Sunday!
Markus

Excellent!

I'm glad you have found the explanation.

I can't readily explain the reduced Sum value but there will very likely be a reason. If I think of anything I will let you know.

Enjoy C1. There is much to discover.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636428017489683868 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi Grant

the entusiasm did not last long.

After opening my DB 7 times, selecting all variants I waited until the star-counter was built completly. - this took me two hours :D .
But every time after loading C1 did show different counts in the filter-area (all completly wrong).
For me I documented this in an excel-sheet (if you are interested send me an upload-link).

So for me there is an error in the program counting the stars.

But as C1 shows the correct corresponding images in the browser - its ok for me - now i know where to look!
Thanks again for your help.
Markus
NNN636428017489683868

Postby SFA » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm

NNN636428017489683868 wrote:Hi Grant

the entusiasm did not last long.

After opening my DB 7 times, selecting all variants I waited until the star-counter was built completly. - this took me two hours :D .
But every time after loading C1 did show different counts in the filter-area (all completly wrong).
For me I documented this in an excel-sheet (if you are interested send me an upload-link).

So for me there is an error in the program counting the stars.

But as C1 shows the correct corresponding images in the browser - its ok for me - now i know where to look!
Thanks again for your help.
Markus

Hi Markus,

I think the best idea would be to send the spreadsheet to the C1 Support Team to see what explanation they can offer.

I use sessions rather than catalogues so I have just a few catalogues on my system that are the result of testing. I don't think any of then have a large number of associated files and I have not noticed any obvious discrepancies with counts - but then I have not been looking hard.
SFA

Postby NNN636428017489683868 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Hello all

after sending my problem to the support - I received the expected answer and the tip to import the DB.
-- actually I have done exporting and repairing many times and was sure this does not work. Nevertheless I went through the whole procedure again and was surprised!!!!

NOW THE CONCLUSION:
Exporting the DB in a new catalogue and attaching it does not correct any issues!
Importing a DB in a new catalogue did correct the counters of stars and keywords and increased speed of loading them.

I dont know if I have lost some data (I have the images in a separate folder so they are save) - But it looks verry good :)

Hope it helps someone else having similar problem.

Markus
NNN636428017489683868

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:50 pm

NNN636428017489683868 wrote:NOW THE CONCLUSION:
Exporting the DB in a new catalogue and attaching it does not correct any issues!
Importing a DB in a new catalogue did correct the counters of stars and keywords and increased speed of loading them.

Just checking I understand you correctly:

You created a new catalog and imported the catalog database. Does that mean that you copied the catalog database from either the old catalog or from the old catalog’s backup location?

I try to understand what importing a DB means.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636428017489683868 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:49 am

Hi Paul

as a caltalogue and DB for me is the same as I have only one catalogue (Look at the extension: somename.cocatalogdb) thats what I mean.

I was importig exactly my corrupt somename.cocatalogdb into an empty catalogue and succeeded. More I cannot say - I did not program this part ;-)

I hope it heps to understand.
Thanks for your interest
Markus
NNN636428017489683868

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:39 am

Thanks Markus for your reply. Appreciated.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 11.x Software