RAW files come in in B&W

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Re: RAW files come in in B&W

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:24 pm

NNN636364181394546668 wrote:Yes, both the cameras I generally use are Fuji X-Trans III, viz X-T2 and Pro-2.

One of the 'nice' things about converting from colour to B&W yourself is that you can adjust the way [the 6 prime] individual colours are rendered. If the camera or other s/w does it, you lose this control.

Or am I missing something?

PS I don't shoot in whichever B&W mode because this is what I want. Sometimes I want colour -- but I find with a B&W VF I see tonality more accurately.

What you are seeing by default is what was set up in the camera.

With a RAW file you can simply change the curve in Base Characteristics and set a different interpretation.

If you really want to refine the colours I would start with a Linear Response curve which is the nearest you can get (after basic RAW data interpretation to make something that looks like an image) to an unadjusted canvas with no pre-existing 'curves' applied to emulate some other look or style.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Re: RAW files come in in B&W

Postby NNN636364181394546668 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 pm

Thanks Grant
NNN636364181394546668

Previous

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration