How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby Globalksp » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi all,

If this feature does not exist, I'd love to see it exist in the future.

Considering all shot folders have been added as a favorite and thus searchable via C1's filters, is there any way to input a list of filenames (i.e.20180823_SHOT_01_0036, 20180823_SHOT_01_0037, 20180823_SHOT_01_0075, 20180823_SHOT_01_0100...) and have C1 display only those images?

My clients love to make selects via Dropbox which then translates into me manually going through the shoot and pulling their selects.

Lightroom has this capability and back when I was using LR, I used it frequently.

I've tried everything I can think of and am open to suggestions or workarounds.

Thanks.
Globalksp
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby OddS » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:10 pm

You may perhaps find Menu bar->Edit->Advanced Search... or Menu bar->Edit->Select By->Filename List... useful if you have not already checked them out.
--
Odd S.
OddS
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Advanced Search with "Match Any of the following rules", and then each rule identifies one filename.

E.G. "Display Name equals 20180823_SHOT_01_0036"
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby WPNL » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Type the criteria sepreated by space.
I collect my photos with a string like: 34 67 124
While the filenames are 2018-08-01 Event name 0067
This works
WPNL
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:11 am

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby cdc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Transferring client selects to your session/catalog can be a real pain sometimes. Lightroom's sync'ing capabilities with web galleries is real convenient for this. I'd love it if Capture One's Web Contact Sheet could make ratings and sync with a session or output a filename list of client selects that you could import into the 'Select by -> Filename List' function.

I'll either have the clients make a filename list and copy/paste into the 'Select by -> Filename List' function and rate them accordingly. Or I'll have the client drag only their selects into a folder and send it to me, then I'll select all, copy, then paste and match file into a textedit doc which will produce a filename list that you can import into 'Select by -> Filename List'.

Haven't tried the advanced search methods mentioned but that looks like a good option.
Last edited by cdc on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
cdc
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:15 am

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:57 am

I just wrote an AppleScript for another user that will make a collection of images from a list of images in in a text file. However, I see that's only part of a solution.
https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=28838#p139337

It can be compiled as an application, and then put into the C1's Scripts menu.

It could easily be enhanced so that the entire path doesn't have be entered on each line.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby Globalksp » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:30 am

Thanks all for your responses.

The Select By... menu item is a new find for me and will do the trick.

Cheers.
Globalksp
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby tallrob » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:00 pm

cdc wrote:Transferring client selects to your session/catalog can be a real pain sometimes. Lightroom's sync'ing capabilities with web galleries is real convenient for this. I'd love it if Capture One's Web Contact Sheet could make ratings and sync with a session or output a filename list of client selects that you could import into the 'Select by -> Filename List' function.

I'll either have the clients make a filename list and copy/paste into the 'Select by -> Filename List' function and rate them accordingly. Or I'll have the client drag only their selects into a folder and send it to me, then I'll select all, copy, then paste and match file into a textedit doc which will produce a filename list that you can import into 'Select by -> Filename List'.

Haven't tried the advanced search methods mentioned but that looks like a good option.


This really needs to be a serious feature request. I'm constantly frustrated by C1's complete disregard for this part of the professional photographer's workflow.
tallrob
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby SFA » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:06 pm

tallrob wrote:
cdc wrote:Transferring client selects to your session/catalog can be a real pain sometimes. Lightroom's sync'ing capabilities with web galleries is real convenient for this. I'd love it if Capture One's Web Contact Sheet could make ratings and sync with a session or output a filename list of client selects that you could import into the 'Select by -> Filename List' function.

I'll either have the clients make a filename list and copy/paste into the 'Select by -> Filename List' function and rate them accordingly. Or I'll have the client drag only their selects into a folder and send it to me, then I'll select all, copy, then paste and match file into a textedit doc which will produce a filename list that you can import into 'Select by -> Filename List'.

Haven't tried the advanced search methods mentioned but that looks like a good option.


This really needs to be a serious feature request. I'm constantly frustrated by C1's complete disregard for this part of the professional photographer's workflow.


Have you already made a feature request?
SFA
 
Posts: 6453
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby cdc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:17 pm

I have, some time ago. I wouldn't expect little old me to sway the powers that be though.

I agree that this is an over looked feature that doesn't get much attention nor discussion. Refining this part of the workflow could save loads of time for so many people. Capture One has little to no support for this, Lightroom only recently integrated support and it could be done better as well.
cdc
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:15 am

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby SFA » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:40 pm

cdc wrote:I have, some time ago. I wouldn't expect little old me to sway the powers that be though.

I agree that this is an over looked feature that doesn't get much attention nor discussion. Refining this part of the workflow could save loads of time for so many people. Capture One has little to no support for this, Lightroom only recently integrated support and it could be done better as well.


But the more people who ask the more likely something will happen (we are told).

Presumably requests have been limited in number so far. Getting tallrob to add his name to the list cannot be a bad idea!
SFA
 
Posts: 6453
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby SFA » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:28 am

cdc wrote:I have, some time ago. I wouldn't expect little old me to sway the powers that be though.

I agree that this is an over looked feature that doesn't get much attention nor discussion. Refining this part of the workflow could save loads of time for so many people. Capture One has little to no support for this, Lightroom only recently integrated support and it could be done better as well.


Is the LR support a function of their cloud based offering?

I would guess than many people running frequently with this requirement will use a web site to which they upload images and give clients secure personal access. The web site will have the options for selections to create a list of required images. (Or simply allow to people to place and order and pay for the files or prints but that's the B2C market and here you need the B2B angle.)

The challenge then is that the Websheet can be sent as an xml file with some careful browser neutral design but to get anything back requires some coding and a return message mechanism. Or, to put it another way, some form of app.

If the whole thing is run on a remote cloud based system that clients connect to that's not a big deal to offer as a service.

However if you are sending a Web Browser structured set of folder and files with an indexed front end (or a PDF based document as the even simpler option) there is no App to work with. And of course there would the question about how many technologies would need to be supported by such an app.

I sort of wonder if it might be easier to send a PDF file, have the client annotate the PDF with their selections and send the file back with the revisions in place and then work with that to create the list of images required.

If created appropriately is should be possible to extract the text (e.g. file names) from the PDF file. There are also some remarkably capable mobile phone based OCR applications around - an idea that might appeal to some more than working with a computer based OCR application to create a list of file names.

To be frank I suspect that a branded web site that offers the facility and costs a few $$s per month probably offers the most control and client interaction possibilities for the least amount of effort.



Grant
SFA
 
Posts: 6453
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby cdc » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Yes, this LR support is a function of their cloud based offering.

From an LR catalog you can make a collection of images (proofs for the client) and then you can sync that collection to the cloud. LR then creates smart previews of the images and uploads them to the cloud as an album. The album can then be viewed from any web browser and the client can 'heart' or comment on the images to make their selects. Those 'hearts' and comments are synced back to the LR catalog and the images can be sorted and marked as needed.

LR users don't have to leave LR or export any images for the entire process to take place, except to provide the client with a link to the gallery. The biggest draw back I find is that only one catalog can be sync'd to the cloud so if you're using LR with multiple catalogs it gets a bit more tricky.

I wouldn't expect Capture One to do anything like this as it's cloud based and that is a whole other can of worms. But they already have the 'Make Web Contact Sheet' function and if some sort of rating system was implemented that could sync back with the session or spit out a list of file names, that would be sufficient.
cdc
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:15 am

Re: How To: Search For Multiple Filenames At Once?

Postby Joshua111 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:44 pm

It is ridiculous that this advanced program cannot search for a list of comma delimited file names. So basic. So obvious.
Joshua111
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:54 pm


Return to Capture One 11.x Software



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest