Sync Two computers C1

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Sync Two computers C1

Postby PhaseoneUser84073 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:50 pm

I have a Mac laptop-MBP- (travel) and an iMac at home. Using C1 9.01
I am new to Capture One from recent Aperture transition.
During travel I will carry with me the MBP and an external hard drive. I am using catalogs. I will shoot images and then import them from card to external hard drive so they are referenced images. I will then (in MBP) edit images, delete the ones I do not like, use keywords etc etc.
I am back at home and would like to export them now from external hard drive- MBP to the iMac utilizing a larger external hard drive connected to the iMac.
My question is: The most practical workflow to keep images in sync between MBP and iMac utilizing different external hard drives (one for MBP other for iMac).
Thanks
PhaseoneUser84073

Re: Sync Two computers C1

Postby Bodo Renzenbrink » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:10 am

I wish I had something to say to help. Elsewhere I have asked a somewhat similar question (how to transfer the entire catalog between two computers). The lack of an answer to my question makes me think that the problem is more knotty than one might think.
Good luck with finding an answer.
Bodo Renzenbrink

Postby HansB » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:27 am

I'm syncing referenced Catalogs on my 2 machines and my backup drive without problems. 'Source replaces target' to get a correct copy when treating packages like folders.

Just one thing: never sync both ways. But that's logical anyway.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby bml » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:00 am

I'm using a little shell script to keep the referenced catalogs on Macbook and Mac Pro in sync via network.
The images are in the users home directory under Pictures/mycatalog, <TARGET> must be replaced by the name of the target computer. I have identical user IDs on both computers.
The script is started on the computer with the recent changes. You will be asked for your password twice.

WARNING: use this script at your own risk. It' not fool safe, rsync is for people who know where the soldering iron gets hot.

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
# change to home directory
cd
# synchronize images
rsync -avuE --delete  Pictures/mycatalog/ <TARGET>:./Pictures/mycatalog
# synchronize catalog DB
rsync -avuE --delete  Pictures/Fotos.cocatalog/ <TARGET>:./Pictures/Fotos.cocatalog

Regards,
Bernd
bml

Postby PhaseoneUser84073 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:36 pm

All thanks for replies.
HansB. If you could expand on your workflow " the steps to sync" would be much appreciated. Many Thanks!
PhaseoneUser84073

Postby sizzlingbadger » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:50 pm

If you rsync the catalog while it is open it could damage it. I would add a check in the script to make sure its closed before copying anything.
sizzlingbadger

Postby HansB » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:56 am

It's true. When syncing, you must be careful not to break it. Never sync when open (and never copy when open), never sync both ways, etc.

I successfully used SyncTwoFolders to sync catalogs. Some information in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=20765&p=97400&hilit=synctwofolders&sid=483f66cefcde0ff5c53be4b5d876f61c#p97400

Rsync does the job just as good, look into Bernd's script. You could add a check for catalog in use by checking for the writelock file. Coming from Linux and still using it, I am doing a number of things from command line, even on Mac.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby BobRockefeller » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm having good luck, so far, using Dropbox to share the catalog and images between my desktop and my laptop.

The actual files are on Dropbox and I have symlinks on each computer pointing to those files. I've even done the same for the files in Application Support/Capture One.
Bob
-----
Robert J. Rockefeller
http://www.bobrockefeller.com
Midway, GA
BobRockefeller

Postby Peter762 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:06 am

My workflow is similar - I use C1 catalogs on a Book laptop with managed files on an external hard drive while traveling. When I return home I synchronize the external hard drive with a thunderbolt based disk image using chronosynch (no deletion synchronization).
Then I import the catalog from the travel project into my master catalog on the hard disk.
I then select the folders tab in C1 on the desktop and identify the hard drive with the broken links (it has an error icon next to it as well as indicating the number of files involved.) Actually that isn't hard as the portable drive and disk image have different names.
I use the same folder structure as is implied by the chronosynch synchronization. Right click on the parent folder with the broken links and select locate. Then point to the folder correct folder on the desktop disk and choose OK.
Sometimes it is necessary to drill down and do that with folders at each level in the hierarchy but that does seem to be getting better.
Basically import the project from the portable drive into the master C1 catalog and then open select the folder with broken links, right click, select locate and point to the correct hierarchy.

Before copying the C1 catalog from the portable drive to the desk top drive it is important that C1 be closed.

That approach has worked relatively well for me, but not as mature as doing the same thing under Aperture.
Peter762

Postby NNN636776077948784591 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:47 am

PhaseoneUser84073 wrote:I have a Mac laptop-MBP- (travel) and an iMac at home. Using C1 9.01
I am new to Capture One from recent Aperture transition.
During travel I will carry with me the MBP and an external hard drive. I am using catalogs. I will shoot images and then import them from card to external hard drive so they are referenced images. I will then (in MBP) edit images, delete the ones I do not like, use keywords etc etc.
I am back at home and would like to export them now from external hard drive- MBP to the iMac utilizing a larger external hard drive connected to the iMac.
My question is: The most practical workflow to keep images in sync between MBP and iMac utilizing different external hard drives (one for MBP other for iMac).
Thanks

Also encountering this issue. Any update on a solution?
NNN636776077948784591

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:48 am

NNN636776077948784591 wrote:(...)
Also encountering this issue. Any update on a solution?

Hi, you seems to be a new user, so welcome! You probably use a version later then Capture One 9. If so, I encourage you to post in the appropriate forum here as you will get more focus and help for your issue.

Here you find the forums of the recent versions:
https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewforum.php?f=24
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 9.x Software