Tethered Shooting with Canon EOS R

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Re: Tethered Shooting with Canon EOS R

Postby awoof » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:46 am

I am using the EOS R. Live view works for me while tethering and all controls work fine whilst tethered. The issue I have is that sometimes it takes up to 8 seconds for a file to come in. Thats with a 3 foot usb C cable and on the latest highest spec MacBook pro that renders D810 files almost immediately.
awofinden
awoof

Postby Bose » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:16 am

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:
awoof wrote:Preview is working fine for me while tethering.

Hmmm. ;-)

Maybe I was not clear... live view it works during thetering...
What doesn't work is the "review image" the one that appears after the shot (for 2 sec, 4 sec .... customizable in the camera menù)
it's clear now?
And it's a pain!

PS:
With boot versions Win/Mac

Sorry i wrote "preview" instead of "review"
Bose

Postby cdc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 am

Bose wrote:Maybe I was not clear... live view it works during thetering...
What doesn't work is the "review image" the one that appears after the shot (for 2 sec, 4 sec .... customizable in the camera menù)
it's clear now?
And it's a pain!

PS:

Have you had other camera's that will allow you to do this while shooting tethered with Capture One?

When shooting tethered the image is not saved to the camera, it is transferred to the computer, so there is no image available for review on the camera. The idea of tethered shooting is to use the computer to review the images, no?
cdc

Postby Bose » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:10 am

cdc wrote:
Bose wrote:Maybe I was not clear... live view it works during thetering...
it's clear now?
And it's a pain!

PS:

Have you had other camera's that will allow you to do this while shooting tethered with Capture One?

When shooting tethered the image is not saved to the camera, it is transferred to the computer, so there is no image available for review on the camera. The idea of tethered shooting is to use the computer to review the images, no?

Yes, all the Sonys (A7RII and A9) do the review during tethering… I will try other cameras...

Yes I know... the images are not stored on the card during tethering... but cameras, also if yuo shoot without card, show the review images (the image is stored in the buffer anyway)

Yes you are quite right, but sometimes the computer monitor is aligned with someone else, and i use the review to have a quick idea...
Bose

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 am

A bit off topic - I apologise - is that a user recently made me aware of the fact that the Sony A7RIII (and probably the A7 III and A9) are able to store the image to the card during tethering into Capture One. Maybe something for a different thread. Not sure I am an advocate of this procedure, but I tested it successfully.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby bk-Art » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:41 pm

awoof wrote:I am using the EOS R. Live view works for me while tethering and all controls work fine whilst tethered. The issue I have is that sometimes it takes up to 8 seconds for a file to come in. Thats with a 3 foot usb C cable and on the latest highest spec MacBook pro that renders D810 files almost immediately.

Only that I understand right:
EOS R shooting tethered with Capture One Pro 12.
You are using the LiveView Mode in Capture One Pro 12.
While the Live View Mode is active you can use the electronic viewfinder of the EOS R and the dials on the camera for aperture etc. are working?

I use the adaptor ring for the aperture and the dial on the top of the camera for the exposure time. The Touch Bar of the EOS R I use for ISO. No control is working on the EOS R if the LiveView in Capture One is active. If the LiveView is inactive it works. The ViewFinder of the Camera isn't working, too.
I use MacBook Pro 2016 with Touch Bar and Mac OS High Sierra latest version.

What System you are using? I don't think that it is the system. Butr if it works for you it have to work with every EOS R.
bk-Art

Postby NNN634630796407174518 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi all. I have the same file transfer speed.
EOS R, newest MacBook Pro, captureone pro 12... files takes forever to appear on screen. Unusable!
It’s a camera problem I think as it hapoens with Lightroom too.
Following here to see if anyone had found a solution.
NNN634630796407174518

Postby DaveGreen » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:08 pm

I am having the same issue as well. Tested on both a late 2013 MBP and a very fast current Windows machine, same deal either way. It's clearly the camera, not either OS or C1.

I did figure out TWO ways to help alleviate this for certain circumstances, which also seem to imply what the issue is...

1 - If you fire a few shots, immediately hit the Menu button to bring up settings or hit play to review an image on your card (basically, anything that kills live view). All the images will start streaming through at normal DSLR speed.

2 - Change the 'Disp. Performance' setting to 'Power saving'. (Wrench panel / Page 4) This cuts down the FPS of the live view display. Files still won't come in at full speed, but do come in much faster than with this set to the 'Smooth' (High FPS) setting. However it sacrifices the quality of the live view.

So given that, it seem like the issue is probably that the Digic processor can't really deal well with processing the live view and pushing out images to the computer at the same time. Hopefully Canon can finesse the firmware to better manage this at some point.
DaveGreen

Postby NN636870266009159680UL » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:49 am

I am also facing same issue.Preview is not working for me while tathering...Did someone got a proper solution to it?If yes then pls share it here..Thanks in advance.mybkexperience
Last edited by NN636870266009159680UL on Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NN636870266009159680UL

Postby SFA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:16 pm

FWIW there was a camera firmware update issued about 2 weeks ago.

Nothing that obviously and directly seems to be related to the tethered download speed mentioned here BUT a few things that may be vaguely related in some ways "under the hood".

Has anyone checked the situation described here with the new firmware installed on the camera? Was there any difference at all?

Grant
SFA

Previous

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac