Hi there, i have a question about keyword

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Hi there, i have a question about keyword

Postby NNN636784722128380040 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:41 am

Hi There:

Long time Lr user (Beta 1). Although I've played with C1 a bit I've never taken the time to learn it properly, so this is probably being asked in ignorance. C1-9 has added keywords, and keywords are an important part of my DAM, so I have some questions.

1) Can one add keywords on import? I tend to add shoot-specific keywords on import, and then add image-specific keywords to selected images after sorting/filtering.
2) I understand one has a catalogue-specific keyword library and can also add other libraries. When searching for keywords does it automatically search through all of the libraries present? I tend to work with only one catalogue as it makes DAM much simpler and as such I'll probably only need the one library.
3) One can add and remove libraries, but can one append one library to another (other than adding one keyword at a time)?
4) I'm assuming keywords can be used in creating smart collections?
5) When working with parent/child keywords, does typing in a child keyword automatically add the parent? For example, if I have ocean>Pacific, if I type in Pacific will it add both ocean and Pacific or will it create a new Pacific keyword that's not a child of ocean? As a biologist, in Lr I have common names of organisms as children of the scientific names, and typing in the child adds both. I can type Mallard and not have to type (or remember) Anas platyrynchus for example. Typing BC adds British Columbia as well, and typing Victoria or Nanaimo or Comox adds Vancouver Island. Shortens typing a lot.
6) Can one move an existing keyword to be a child of another keyword?

A side question - Lr is modular-based, and C1 isn't. Is there a way to filter images based on star rating or colour label, etc. without creating a smart collection? In Lr library module for example, I can use the filter bar to filter out only 3* images, or only images with a certain keyword.
NNN636784722128380040

Re: Hi there, i have a question about keyword

Postby Ian3 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:22 am

NNN636784722128380040 wrote:A side question - Lr is modular-based, and C1 isn't. Is there a way to filter images based on star rating or colour label, etc. without creating a smart collection? In Lr library module for example, I can use the filter bar to filter out only 3* images, or only images with a certain keyword.

Yes. Use the Filter tool in the library tab. Select say 3 stars and you will only see the 3 star images. Select the keyword '"cat" and you will only see images with the keyword "cat". Select both 3-star and "cat" and you will see only 3-tar cat images.

Ian
Ian3

Re: Hi there, i have a question about keyword

Postby Ian3 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:24 am

NNN636784722128380040 wrote:1) Can one add keywords on import? I tend to add shoot-specific keywords on import, and then add image-specific keywords to selected images after sorting/filtering.
2) I understand one has a catalogue-specific keyword library and can also add other libraries. When searching for keywords does it automatically search through all of the libraries present? I tend to work with only one catalogue as it makes DAM much simpler and as such I'll probably only need the one library.
3) One can add and remove libraries, but can one append one library to another (other than adding one keyword at a time)?
4) I'm assuming keywords can be used in creating smart collections?
5) When working with parent/child keywords, does typing in a child keyword automatically add the parent? For example, if I have ocean>Pacific, if I type in Pacific will it add both ocean and Pacific or will it create a new Pacific keyword that's not a child of ocean? As a biologist, in Lr I have common names of organisms as children of the scientific names, and typing in the child adds both. I can type Mallard and not have to type (or remember) Anas platyrynchus for example. Typing BC adds British Columbia as well, and typing Victoria or Nanaimo or Comox adds Vancouver Island. Shortens typing a lot.
6) Can one move an existing keyword to be a child of another keyword?

Have you tried this extensive tutorial/webinar? https://youtu.be/B0SlGgRx95U

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 9.x Software