Z7 Support

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Z7 Support

Postby Tobin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 pm

I know there is a mssg below about this. PhaseOne, can you give us any info about Z7 support? This is getting ridiculous. I've had mine since Sept. and still can't officially use it with C1. Adobe DNG converted files lack and I'm not interested, nor are my clients, in a tethered work around with Nikon software and pointing at folders. I work in a high volume and fast paced work environment, no time or patience for workarounds. Is it you guys or Nikon? I'm guessing the latter, if so please let us know so us Z7 owners can put the pressure on Nikon.
Tobin

Re: Z7 Support

Postby NN13765 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:28 pm

Well Lightroom has supported Z7 files for a while now so I don't see how it's a problem with Nikon.

I see that there is a lot of work involved in a new camera, and there is also the MacOS Mojave update and the v12 release, but from a personal point of view, soon I will have a choice (I guess) to buy the C1 upgrade to v12, or to buy a Lightroom subscription for a year. I can't justify both. So if C1 doesn't support Z7 by the time my Lightroom trial version expires, I'll have no choice but to switch.

Obviously PhaseOne won't lose much sleep about losing one customer, but they do eventually add up, and it's totally needless.
NN13765

Postby Ian3 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:13 am

NN13765 wrote:Well Lightroom has supported Z7 files for a while now so I don't see how it's a problem with Nikon.

I read a comment in Amateur Photographer magazine this week in a reply by their technical editor to a reader's letter that said the latest version of ACR processed the Z7's files but didn't yet have support for the camera colour profiles. So it would seem to be more accurate to say that LR only has partial support for it at this stage.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NN13765 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:37 am

That may or not be the case, but it's miles better than not being able to process raw files AT ALL which is where we are with C1.

As a photographer I have to use the software that's available to me - not unicorn-ware. Right now that means CNXD, or Lr. Something that PhaseOne might be working on - which they don't give any information about - is not a help and cannot form part of my budget decision. That's a bit of a pity - i used to live round the corner from PhaseOne in Valby, DK, and I thought of them a sort of "home town team", but I'm aware that this is not a rational notion. Adobe gets my dollars, PhaseOne doesn't. So be it.
NN13765

Postby SFA » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:57 pm

NN13765 wrote:That may or not be the case, but it's miles better than not being able to process raw files AT ALL which is where we are with C1.

As a photographer I have to use the software that's available to me - not unicorn-ware. Right now that means CNXD, or Lr. Something that PhaseOne might be working on - which they don't give any information about - is not a help and cannot form part of my budget decision. That's a bit of a pity - i used to live round the corner from PhaseOne in Valby, DK, and I thought of them a sort of "home town team", but I'm aware that this is not a rational notion. Adobe gets my dollars, PhaseOne doesn't. So be it.

Oh the joys of deciding to be an early adopter of hardware that relies on unaffiliated software vendors for support.

I thought that these days Nikon included access to some form of quality software they provide without expecting their customers to pay extra.

Am I wrong?
SFA

Postby NN13765 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:44 pm

SFA wrote:I thought that these days Nikon included access to some form of quality software they provide without expecting their customers to pay extra.

Am I wrong?

Nikon include access to their CaptureNX-D software which supports their latest file formats but is not particulary sophisticated in other respects. Unaffiliated software companies can choose to support those formats or not, according to their business model. So far that ranges from Adobe (supports) to DxO (announced support for December) to PhaseOne (says nothing).
NN13765

Postby Ian3 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:01 pm

NN13765 wrote:
SFA wrote:I thought that these days Nikon included access to some form of quality software they provide without expecting their customers to pay extra.

Am I wrong?

Nikon include access to their CaptureNX-D software which supports their latest file formats but is not particulary sophisticated in other respects. Unaffiliated software companies can choose to support those formats or not, according to their business model. So far that ranges from Adobe (supports) to DxO (announced support for December) to PhaseOne (says nothing).

Phase One have a policy of saying nothing in advance, but of course you can be sure that they will support the camera - I would be surprised if they were far behind DxO. They also have a policy of basing their camera support on their own testing of a copy of the camera in question, not just the manufacturer's data, whereas some software manufacturers rush out support without doing that, which might explain why LR only partially supports the camera so far (according to the report I read).

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Ian,

As NN13765 used to live near Phase One's HQ and seems to have some sort of knowledge about the company that does not suggest being a complete newbie I would not be at all surprised if we are simply making observations about matters that he/she is fully aware of.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN13765 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Well, apologies for having come across as Mr Grumpy - maybe frustrated by a dreary November day.

Of course I'm sure that P1 will eventually support the Z7, but it will be a bit annoying if they don't do so before I have had to re-subscribe to Lr. As was pointed out, that's my own fault for being an early adopter, but at the same time I don't think P1 being silent on their plans sends a very good message as regards their view of customers (you know - the ones that buy their products).

Anyway - back to watching TV :-)
NN13765

Postby Keith Reeder » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:24 am

NN13765 wrote:I don't think P1 being silent on their plans sends a very good message as regards their view of customers (you know - the ones that buy their products).

It sends exactly the message they want us to hear - that they will not be backed into a corner by committing to something that they then - for whatever reason - might not deliver at the stated time.

It's axiomatic that Phase One's approach is the lesser of two evils compared to the storm of "lying to its customers..."; "letting us down..."; "taking money under false pretences..." and similar posts that such slippages against promised delivery timescales will result in.
Keith Reeder

Postby jknights » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm

I guess you raised an enhancement request on the Support cases.
I too am waiting and see that v12 is in the wings and under development. I guess that new functionality is being introduced and this will take priority as the new camera support will come in the future in v12.

Yes frustrating but the COP output is better than the Lightroom one. So I stick with PhaseOne.
jknights

Return to Capture One 11.x Software