Organize sessions with catalog?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Organize sessions with catalog?

Postby NN635412303032341950UL » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:02 am

I start using sessions in this year. It is great to have sessions, especially for tethering.

But there are few problems that I wanted to deal with which is organizing. With Catalog, it's not a problem but once you start having a lot of images, it tends to be slower and might be risky to lose files if I move it. That's why I chose session but organizing is the biggest problem that I have to visit each session to export files and it takes time to search a session that I want to see.

I see that session's favorite feature allow you to see other session's folder no matter where you put but this feature is not available on the catalog. I wonder if there is another way to organize all sessions in the catalog. Btw, Im not interesting to import sessions because if I edit images, then it wont be applied to those sessions that I imported to the catalog. Any suggestions?
NN635412303032341950UL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Organize sessions with catalog?

Postby Ian3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:57 am

I used to work only in sessions, and I used Media Pro for cataloguing. With the impending demise of MP, I have started to use a C1 catalog. Several years' worth of images is in sessions and I have imported these (well, actually, the Selects and Output folders of them) in to a C1 catalog. Edits previously made in the sessions get brought in. After importing a session into the catalog, I always do any further work on those images in the catalog, not in the original session.

I like the session approach and I am still starting my images off in sessions. My plan is to only import from a session when the work on the images in the session is basically finished. So not until I have done all the editing I want to do, and generated all the output I want to generate. Of course, I may later find a reason to re-edit an image, or create new output from it, but I will do that from within the catalog.

So my rule is that once I have imported a session into the catalog, I only work on those images from the catalog after that. If I know that I will want to do more on images in a session than I have done so far, then it is too early to transfer it to the catalog.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NN635412303032341950UL » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:58 pm

Ian3 wrote:I used to work only in sessions, and I used Media Pro for cataloguing. With the impending demise of MP, I have started to use a C1 catalog. Several years' worth of images is in sessions and I have imported these (well, actually, the Selects and Output folders of them) in to a C1 catalog. Edits previously made in the sessions get brought in. After importing a session into the catalog, I always do any further work on those images in the catalog, not in the original session.

I like the session approach and I am still starting my images off in sessions. My plan is to only import from a session when the work on the images in the session is basically finished. So not until I have done all the editing I want to do, and generated all the output I want to generate. Of course, I may later find a reason to re-edit an image, or create new output from it, but I will do that from within the catalog.

So my rule is that once I have imported a session into the catalog, I only work on those images from the catalog after that. If I know that I will want to do more on images in a session than I have done so far, then it is too early to transfer it to the catalog.

Ian

That's really complicated. I guess Phase One should update their software to support session favorite feature to the catalog.
NN635412303032341950UL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Ian3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:50 pm

It's probably more complicated in my explanation than it is in practice.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:02 pm

NN635412303032341950UL wrote:
Ian3 wrote:I used to work only in sessions, and I used Media Pro for cataloguing. With the impending demise of MP, I have started to use a C1 catalog. Several years' worth of images is in sessions and I have imported these (well, actually, the Selects and Output folders of them) in to a C1 catalog. Edits previously made in the sessions get brought in. After importing a session into the catalog, I always do any further work on those images in the catalog, not in the original session.

Ian

That's really complicated. I guess Phase One should update their software to support session favorite feature to the catalog.

In effect importing to a catalogue as a referenced file is the same concept as a Favourite folder in a session, at least in terms of file location and management.

The main difference is that in a session the sidecar edit files are held in a subfolder next to the image files whereas for a catalogue they are stored centrally in the catalogue file.

As Capture One started with Sessions and later introduced Catalogues it seems to be safe to assume that no one felt there was a need to have a second way to replicate something like the Favourites concept.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software