Cannot exit, stuck on "Saving" dialog

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Cannot exit, stuck on "Saving" dialog

Postby Pedro Dias » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 am

Often, when I want to exit capture one (pro 11 for Sony), the software does NOT exit, instead it keeps showing a spinner dialog "Saving" which clearly never exits. This is very annoying. Is this a known issue, and how do I get around fixing it?
Pedro Dias

Re: Cannot exit, stuck on "Saving" dialog

Postby C-M-B » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:39 pm

Are you working on a NAS?
C-M-B

Postby Pedro Dias » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Yes I am. Does that affect anything?
Pedro Dias

Postby Ian3 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Pedro Dias wrote:Yes I am. Does that affect anything?

There have been instances of users having trouble with using NAS. Look at this thread. http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=28047&hilit=NAS You may find that it depends in whether the catalog itself is on your local storage with the raw files on NAS, or whether everything is on NAS, which doesn't seem to be so good.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Pedro Dias » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Wow, thanks - they can't fix this?

I've around 2TB worth, ~200 000 images, on my NAS, it's backing up to the cloud from there, and all my other software (DXO, Affinity, Photo Mechanic and FotoStation) have zero issues with this. I even do videoediting directly to the NAS (over 10GB lan).

I use a whole slew of software against those images, Capture One is just one of many RAW converters that I use. Is there a setting somewhere that I can set to fix this? I imagine I'm not the only guy on the planet with a bunch of images on a NAS :)
Pedro Dias

Postby SFA » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Pedro Dias wrote:Wow, thanks - they can't fix this?

I've around 2TB worth, ~200 000 images, on my NAS, it's backing up to the cloud from there, and all my other software (DXO, Affinity, Photo Mechanic and FotoStation) have zero issues with this. I even do videoediting directly to the NAS (over 10GB lan).

I use a whole slew of software against those images, Capture One is just one of many RAW converters that I use. Is there a setting somewhere that I can set to fix this? I imagine I'm not the only guy on the planet with a bunch of images on a NAS :)

I have edit sessions and the occasional experimental catalogue on a NAS. In may case it's via a Wi-Fi connection for various reasons.

It mostly works although if the NAS has gone into some form of internal hibernation it seems it may take a while to become active again.

File moving performance is not especially good and I first discovered that when copying via USB3. This was a new device of a newly released model 12 months ago. It has 2 8Gb drives - bought for overall load rather than with a focus on speed but nevertheless the set up is OK for interactive work with relatively small files but less good when interactive and working with large files.

There have been times when the C1 process can be very delayed waiting for a response from the NAS. Most often this seemed to be after a period of inactivity followed by a "resume" request or when closing a session or catalogue and the memory save of the latests file states seems to be greatly delayed for some reason. Once again this usually seems to be related to some internal system admin within the NAS drive

Occasionally the close of C1 cannot or doe not complete for some reason. Killing the C1 "close" activity seems to be one way that can induce repeated occurrences of the message during subsequent C1 exits so I suspect some issues with un-cleaned temporary files somewhere. This does not seem to be a problem when using local drives or USB connected drives although if USB3 drives have an issue with a connecting cable being unable to establish a "wake up from energy saving mode" signal that can also cause issues. Or so it seems.

With my system used only with its internal SSD drives for interactive editing I don't see this sort of message and the log file records show a smoother interaction.

I would be interested to here about similar experiences.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software