!!!Don't use medium or small NEF files!!!

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

!!!Don't use medium or small NEF files!!!

Postby Mark492 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:58 am

I switched my D850 to medium NEF to save a bit of storage space. Don't. It means you can't use the distortion tool, C1 can no longer recognise the lens data, and you can't copy layer masks from one image to another. I assume it's to do with how the smaller NEF files are saved, but it's a massive pain when you're trying to process them.

Is there anywhere to report this to Phase One?
Mark492

Re: !!!Don't use medium or small NEF files!!!

Postby Ian3 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 am

Use the support case process. Within Capture One go to Capture One Support on the Help menu, scroll down the web page and put in a support case describing the problem.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:03 am

If you have a look at the release Notes for V11 you will see some extra notes for constraints related to the D850 files that were resolved in V11.1.

Whether this is in any way connected to what you have observed I don't know.

For some other bodies there are constraints for RAW-S files. Again I have no idea whether that may or may not be connected to medium NEF usage.

Ian3 has already suggested the best way to contact support if the Release Notes do not seem to relate to the problem you wish to report.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Mark492 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:51 am

So I raised it with support. Apparently, Nikon small and medium NEF files aren't really NEF files at all, but JPEGs wrapped in a NEF. So you can do a lot less with them. Won't be using those again...
Mark492

Postby SFA » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:06 am

Mark492 wrote:So I raised it with support. Apparently, Nikon small and medium NEF files aren't really NEF files at all, but JPEGs wrapped in a NEF. So you can do a lot less with them. Won't be using those again...

Interesting.

As a mainly Canon user I am not familiar with Nikon equipment. Canon may do some odd things as well although I don't think any of my cameras (mostly quite old now) offer any compressed RAW claims. However I dare say there are some anomalies to be aware of.

Thanks for providing the feedback. It's nice (and useful) to have a thread with a resolution and that is not always the case although on this forum things are often better followed up than on many I have seen.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software