Adding essential Media Pro functionality into C1?

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Adding essential Media Pro functionality into C1?

Postby Ian Wilson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Given the disappointing announcement about removal of support for Media Pro, I wanted to ask about a small number of key features in the old software which are not currently supported within Capture One. Everything I've seen so far is concentrating on the catalogue capabilities of the two applications, but I'm specifically interested in the following:

• A proper projection (slideshow) facility, allowing control over things like: which monitor is used for rendering; scaling of projected images; how many images are projected concurrently; choice of background colour; overlay of metadata information; access to a "controller" showing position in the slideshow; ability to set colour label and star rating while projecting; ability to change catalog sets (albums) during projection; and lots more.
  • Good text output of catalogue information (e.g. CSV and XML) which allows processing of catalogue information in other applications.

Nothing else has the projection or text output capabilities of Media Pro, and Capture One is absolutely not a replacement for these functions. It doesn't even have a compatible set of colour labels (6 as opposed to MP's 9). As a software engineer myself I understand perfectly why Phase One might wish to remove to support for this very old application, but please don't forget those of us who use it for projection rather than as a catalogue. I spend much of my time handling photographic competitions and exhibition selection, and have relied on Media Pro's facilities since iView days (a long time, in other words). Move all MP users over to C1 by all means, but please beef up the projection facilities before pulling the plug.

Yours hopefully,

Ian.
Ian Wilson
Cambridge, UK
Ian Wilson

Re: Adding essential Media Pro functionality into C1?

Postby syncrasy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Ian,

Thanks for pointing out the projection facility. In case you missed my post, I've created a thread in the Capture One 11 forums addressing this situation: "Media Pro refugees: What are our DAM demands?". I have added your projection item to my list. I already had text and XML output.

We Media Pro folks have to be loud and demanding.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby NNN634579196254916651 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:45 pm

For the time being, I'm going to use Photo Supreme but it's slideshow function is worse than horrendous when compared to MediaPro. I use all of the features of iView's slide show function to present not only my portfolio, but present final images to the client when I deliver the job.

Anyone know of a capable slide production program? All I really want is the ability to easily reorder images, a simple dissolve from one image to the next and the ability for me to MANUALLY advance or retard the progress of my presentation. I've tried numerous and they all are bloated with dumb transitions, special effects and they force me to export a show into a movie format. I don't want a fricking uncontrollable movie file! What I really want is an iView clone :(
NNN634579196254916651

Postby syncrasy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:14 pm

NNN634579196254916651 wrote:For the time being, I'm going to use Photo Supreme but it's slideshow function is worse than horrendous when compared to MediaPro. I use all of the features of iView's slide show function to present not only my portfolio, but present final images to the client when I deliver the job.

Anyone know of a capable slide production program? All I really want is the ability to easily reorder images, a simple dissolve from one image to the next and the ability for me to MANUALLY advance or retard the progress of my presentation. I've tried numerous and they all are bloated with dumb transitions, special effects and they force me to export a show into a movie format. I don't want a fricking uncontrollable movie file! What I really want is an iView clone :(

Have you actually migrated all your Media Pro catalogs to Photo Supreme or are you still evaluating PSu? (Obviously Media Pro will work for at least another year or two (depending on your system), so you have time to evaluate other programs.)

I think Photo Mechanic has a slide show feature but I haven't tried it. FotoStation's slide show allows you to manually advance. (Note that these programs are browsers, not full-fledged DAM catalog programs, but are worth evaluating as fall back options.) And then there's always Lightroom in "free" mode (expired trial version but slide show works).
Last edited by syncrasy on Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby NNN636733799124007011 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:01 am

You can try FotoStation to manually advance.
NNN636733799124007011

Postby PLGreco » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:37 pm

You can set Photo Mechanic to manually advance by pressing the space bar but there isn't a retard function as far as I know.
PLGreco

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE