Cost of Capture One Pro

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Cost of Capture One Pro

Postby Francesco Mariani » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:19 am

I wish the pricing of the software was not pegged on an exchange rate. For Canadians, Capture One Pro 11 and three styles costs $682.00 CAD. For Americans, it's $506.00 US. I am an Apple Aperture user forced to switch, and Capture One Pro seems to be the appropriate software to switch to, it's unfortunate the switch costs me $682.00 CAD (and fluctuating daily).

The camera I own, the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II costs the same in Canada and the USA:

http://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/digital ... rk-ii.html
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digital ... rk-ii.html

Software should be the same.

Thanks very much,

Francis.
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II
MacBook Pro - Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor - 16 GB RAM
macOS Sierra - 10.12.6
Aperture 3.6 > Migrating to Capture One Pro 11 or 12
Francesco Mariani

Re: Cost of Capture One Pro

Postby Tim Trim » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:07 am

Not sure how else they can price? Try being in Australia!
You can always use one of the Ambassador codes to get 10% off.
Tim Trim

Postby Francesco Mariani » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:31 am

Tim Trim, I used as an example my Olympus camera: it sells for the same dollar price in Canada and the US, while the exchange rate is 1.30 - Olympus chose not to charge 30% more in Canada. The camera would be a bargain for Americans that buy it in Canada. The same probably applies in Australia.
MacBook Pro - Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor - 16 GB RAM
macOS Sierra - 10.12.6
Francesco Mariani

Postby Tim Trim » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:48 am

No Australia is one of the most expensive countries. Olympus are a somewhat bigger company than Phase One and can most likely afford to absorb those costs. I gave you the info to save 10% in case you didn’t know. No worries about that.

The Australian price is the equivalent of the American price. As is the Canadian price.

Nobody is forcing you to buy the software.
Tim Trim

Postby SFA » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:08 pm

Francesco Mariani wrote:Tim Trim, I used as an example my Olympus camera: it sells for the same dollar price in Canada and the US, while the exchange rate is 1.30 - Olympus chose not to charge 30% more in Canada. The camera would be a bargain for Americans that buy it in Canada. The same probably applies in Australia.

How about Taxes - do you have the same systems in Canada and the US?
SFA

Postby Francesco Mariani » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:03 pm

How about Taxes - do you have the same systems in Canada and the US?

We are usually charged 13% sales tax. But I wasn’t charged any tax, probably because the product was sold from outside Canada.

Meanwhile, I had been procrastinating purchasing the software - I think it will be a painful switch from Aperture to Capture One Pro. But they have a sale on at the moment - 30% off, plus the 10% coupon code - very decent savings.
macOS Sierra - 10.12.6
Francesco Mariani

Postby tenmangu81 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Go, then !!
I switched from Lightroom to Capture One about 3 years ago, and I won't go back !!
tenmangu81

Postby ShaneB » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:18 am

To look at this a different way, Capture One in Australia is about twice the price of LR (when you could buy LR). It's eight or nine times the price of Affinity Photo. Such a relatively high price must be keeping potential users away from the product.

IMHO, were Phase One to drop the price of C1 by say 25% or even 33%, they would increase sales by a considerable factor. In other words, they would make more money by dropping their prices.

The fact of their recent massive discount to lure people to upgrade from C1 v9 indicates to me that their margins would allow for a price drop.

Just my two bob's worth ....
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB

Postby Tim Trim » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:00 am

I think you get what you pay for. I have Affinity as well, but just too work to achieve results for me. Used Luminar but once I tried Capture One and compared results there is no competition, with Capture One I am able to produce excellent results quickly with better colour than with Luminar for example. The DAM meets my needs. I’ve just bought a Pixma Pro 10s so will see how printing goes next.

I don’t regret the cost for an instant. Remember, back in the day Aperture was $$$$.
Tim Trim

Postby Francesco Mariani » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Shane, I agree with you completely, they would have many more people purchasing the software if it was cheaper. Perhaps they keep the price high to dissuade non-professional photographers.

Tim, I've been looking at Luminar, Affinity, DxO Photolab, Perfectly Clear, On1 Photo Raw, and others but none seem to match Capture One Pro, so I suppose it is worth the extra cost.

I now have to drastically change my workflow - I plan to make a list of things that I like about Aperture and then see if these can be done in Capture One Pro.

By the way, is there an acronym for Capture One Pro that is used in the forum?
macOS Sierra - 10.12.6
Francesco Mariani

Postby tenmangu81 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Francesco Mariani wrote:I now have to drastically change my workflow - I plan to make a list of things that I like about Aperture and then see if these can be done in Capture One Pro.

I am not sure it's the best way to proceed. Forget Aperture, and start with C1 from scratch.... This is what I did when I quit Lightroom. You can do anything you want with C1 !!
tenmangu81

Postby SFA » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:27 pm

If you can find some operational economies that do not affect your ability to develop and support software and have no evident risk from the potential actions of others on whom you rely - like Apple and Microsoft and the way they handle their own development and testing processes, then you might just find a huge new market from a permanent price cut. Assuming that such a huge market exists, which it may not as so far as I know camera sales (excluding phone cameras) are still in decline.

As the masses of the younger generations reach the point at which they might consider getting (and maybe even using, sometimes) a DSLR or up-market mirrorless camera, you might see a few more people looking for photo editing applications and add a few transient customers because of that. But such a move is likely to increase the costs of support as people used to and happy with mobile apps for editing by "styles" seek the same level of functionality from "proper" programs and find things may be a bit more complicated. And more expensive.

Meanwhile if one reduces the price by an amount significant enough to have the potential user base rushing to the sales portal ... the chances are that you have just eliminated whatever profit you had even before the increased cost of support is taken into account.

The only way that can guarantee (in so far as anything is guaranteed) catching the public as long term customers is to do what the cell phone contracts do - offer a "deal" that looks too good to be true in terms of how many minutes of calls you can make, how many sms message you can send and, not often such a good part of the deal, how much data is included.

In otherwords offer something that is not really cheap to use but is perceived as being cheap for what the headline deal offers.

Microsoft does the same with with its "Office" products. You need a simple letter editor and maybe something like a spreadsheet without complexity. You get, for what may be an apparently affordable "monthly subscription that keeps you up to date", a lot more than that 99% of which you will never ever use. But it looks like a bargain.

The bundle of LR, PS and other applications is another example. People "see the bargain" even though they pay for stuff they will probably never fire up and almost certainly not "use in anger".

We all do it.

I have a copy of Affinity. I use it mayb 2 or 3 times a year for attempting to do stuff that Capture One does not claim to do. I have several versions of the product from the same source that was the equivalent to Affinity on the Windows platforms before they decided to make a Mac version. I usually bought when they were offered at significant discounts just before the next upgrade. I think I installed most of them although I may not have actually used all of the versions.

I think of it as an "insurance" that I could have a feature or function available should I find a need for it. They are also a company that is local to me and, a decade or so past, would regularly call with quite enticing "bundles" of different software that, as a package, always appeared to be incredibly useful and good value. Or would have been if I had ever found a use for it.

When I find an application that I enjoy using and use a lot then I am happy to pay a proper value for that utility.

And by deciding to pay I recognise the value and DO use it.

If it is free or low cost (relatively speaking) it is easy to justify not using it - after all it didn't cost much so no big deal if it's ignored.

My favourite RAW convertor and Editor prior to C1 was also something worth paying for and I much preferred to to LR .

They developed a low cost variation that, these days would be considered to be in the mobile App style. But that was before "Apps" became low price, high volume and, most likely, little used by most people who install them.

The main product was then the subject of a significant re-write to make use of the latest, greatest development tools (and the forced change due to end of life of the older development tools). The developers got to the point where they were able to show screen shots of the new look and some results from testing. It looked great. Then they ran out of funding and that was that. (More or less). Cue the search for a replacement getting serious at that time. Apple Aperture users will have had a similar experience, though for slightly different reasons.

Suffice to say that chasing volume of sales can result in a legitimate use of promotions in the short term but at some point there needs to be enough margin to cover future development and support and, eventually, profit to keep the investors happy. Even Elon Musk has to address that need at some point.

I have no wish to go back through an exercise of historic file editing sing new (to me) software in the event that a current application might suddenly stop working, So I prefer to minimise that risk in so far as I can and I am prepared to pay for that as a matter of commercial principle.

Grant
SFA

Postby Eric Nepean » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:43 pm

Francesco Mariani wrote:........
I now have to drastically change my workflow - I plan to make a list of things that I like about Aperture and then see if these can be done in Capture One Pro.

I think you should be comparing product features, and see if and how they map.

Key Aperture Feature that do not map:
  • Stacks
  • Version Names
  • Faces
The CaptureOne Catalog is not as stable and expandable to large numbers of images as the Aperture Library
CaptureOne has Sessions which have no Aperture equivalent. However the Capture One Paradigm is that new images are captured in a session, and only the best are in the catalog. If used, this reduces the need for very large catalogs.

Some of the Capture One features are better than Aperture or not present in Aperture:
  • Filters tool
  • AppleScript Support
  • Layers
  • Sessions
There are prrobably more, but this has become irrelevant to me.
By the way, is there an acronym for Capture One Pro that is used in the forum?

I've seen "CO" (most common), also "COP", "C1", "C1P"
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby Francesco Mariani » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:46 pm

However the Capture One Paradigm is that new images are captured in a session, and only the best are in the catalog.

Eric, if you're in a Session, can you select some images and add them to the Catalog? Then switch to the Catalog to view your best images? If so, this is a pretty decent workflow that might improve Catalog performance.
macOS Sierra - 10.12.6
Francesco Mariani

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 am

Francesco Mariani wrote:
However the Capture One Paradigm is that new images are captured in a session, and only the best are in the catalog.

Eric, if you're in a Session, can you select some images and add them to the Catalog? Then switch to the Catalog to view your best images? If so, this is a pretty decent workflow that might improve Catalog performance.

No, you have to open your Catalog and import the images. You can either import them as usual or import the entire Session including Albums.

This combined Session-Catalog workflow works very well and combines the best of both library types.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Next

Return to Capture One 11.x Software