Map/GPS software combination

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Map/GPS software combination

Postby forsberg » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi,

I have switched from LR to C1 cause of picture quality. But one thing I miss from LR is the map-module. Settings GPS-data via a map and then browsing photos via map.

Is there anyone that found a companion to C1 for that? So an additional software that have the features I described and "integrates" well with C1.

Thanks

Olof
forsberg

Re: Map/GPS software combination

Postby ShaneB » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:52 am

Gidday

Have a look at HoudahGeo. It works well, although it doesn't actually integrate with C1.

I suggest the following:
1. import the image files using either HoudahGeo or ImageCapture to the folder of your choice.
2. geotag using HoudhaGeo either with GPS log data or by drag and drop.
3. import into C1.

Not seamless, but it works.

Regards
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB

Postby mhs421 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi,

...same here. Some time ago i move from LR to C1 and I don't want to go back, as I am much more satisfied with the results I get (even though C1 has a very steep learning curve, and it took me several attempt). To me, it's clear, that I'm not going back. However, there's on thing I miss in C1: a similar map functionality as LR has. I know, C1 is primarily a raw converter that does an excellent job.....
As I like to travel a lot and have GPS unit on my Nikon, I sometimes need to "tweak" the location because the signal was not received and / or still shows the last position. So I was looking a various options incl. HoudaGeo, PhotoMechanic and some other apps but none of them really worked for me.
I'm still a subscriber of the PS/LR Adobe Creative Cloud as I do some jobs in PSCC, that can't be done in C1, i found a way to somehow overcome the GPS "problem".

This is just I now do it and it works for me:
- I create a new temporary "GEO catalog' in LR,
- I import all the picture into LR,
- I do the checking / verification and if necessary add / adjust the GPS locations in the LR map module,
- save the meta data for the files which were adjusted; LR creates for those an xmp file,
- once that's done, I close and delete the LR catalog and import the RAW pictures into C1.

That's it.

Best,
Mark
mhs421

Postby forsberg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks Mark and Shane for your advices!

Actually the way I want to use GPS-data is:
- Tag photos after I done my sorting in C1.
- Browse sorted and processed photos from a map. This would be 99% raw-photos.

Would HoudhaGeo or other software support that?

Thanks
forsberg

Postby ShaneB » Tue May 01, 2018 1:35 am

forsberg wrote:Thanks Mark and Shane for your advices!

Actually the way I want to use GPS-data is:
- Tag photos after I done my sorting in C1.
- Browse sorted and processed photos from a map. This would be 99% raw-photos.

Would HoudhaGeo or other software support that?

Thanks

You could add geodata once your images were in C1, but would then have to re-synch your metadata.

I can't think of a way you could browse your images on a map, but others may know of a way.
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB

Postby fotojenic777 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 am

forsberg wrote:Hi,

I have switched from LR to C1 cause of picture quality. But one thing I miss from LR is the map-module. Settings GPS-data via a map and then browsing photos via map.

Is there anyone that found a companion to C1 for that? So an additional software that have the features I described and "integrates" well with C1.

Thanks

Olof

Hi Olof. I use the same mechanism as Shane but I have full exif metadata sync turned on in C1 so no matter when I geocode the images the gps data gets synced to C1.
As for mapping I export my selected images to a new folder which I then import into Apple photos which reads the gps data and can show it on a world map. I know it’s an extra step but as I am an Apple man I would have transferred the images to my iPad anyway.
Robin
fotojenic777

Postby mhs421 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Olof[/quote]

Hi Olof. I use the same mechanism as Shane but I have full exif metadata sync turned on in C1 so no matter when I geocode the images the gps data gets synced to C1.
As for mapping I export my selected images to a new folder which I then import into Apple photos which reads the gps data and can show it on a world map. I know it’s an extra step but as I am an Apple man I would have transferred the images to my iPad anyway.
Robin[/quote]

Hi Robin,

doesn't "full exif metadata sync turned on" slow down C1 substantially? I remember in one of the previous versions of C1 it was barely acceptable, that's why I have turned it off and haven't turned it on since.

Best,
Mark
mhs421

Postby fotojenic777 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Mark. I have two v9 catalogues with my latest one holding about 12k images and full sync set on both. I run an iMac with 24gb memory and a 2tb fusion drive. Although I have heard bad reports about full sync I’ve never had any issues, though I do tend to geotag before importing so I don’t often need to full sync. Works for me.
Robin
fotojenic777

Postby forsberg » Wed May 09, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks for all responses. I will start by testing Houdah
forsberg

Postby NNN634424542422937993 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm

C1 12 now has a link from the GPS coordinates in the meta-data to Google maps. Discovered by accident! It appears to be a one-off transaction, but perhaps a sign of things to come...
NNN634424542422937993

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:07 pm

NNN634424542422937993 wrote:C1 12 now has a link from the GPS coordinates in the meta-data to Google maps. Discovered by accident! It appears to be a one-off transaction, but perhaps a sign of things to come...

Nahh, it is there since Capture One 6. The show on map feature only appears when there is geo data.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 11.x Software