The UI fixes I'm waiting for since years (2018 ?)

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

The UI fixes I'm waiting for since years (2018 ?)

Postby Samoreen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:45 pm

[Long post]

Hi,

Here is my list of UI problems reported (case created) since 2015 and still waiting to be fixed :

=====================================================================
12-26-2015 - External editors setup
In Lightroom, you can define the external editors independently so they always appear in the Edit in... menu. You don't have to actually Edit in... an image to define an external editor and once defined, the external editor will be available for all images.

Unless I missed something, if I Edit in... a given image in an external editor that is not initially recognized by C1, this editor will not be available in the Edit in.. or Open with... menu for other images, which is rather surprising to say the least. The newly defined editor should be recorded by C1 and made available for all other images instead of C1 relying on information provided by the OS.

Actually, the newly defined external editor is not even available in the Edit in... or Open with... menus for the image for which I defined it. The only thing that it remembers are the export settings for external editing.

This is neither practical nor logical and should be fixed, IMHO. When a user specifies an external editor once, he's very likely to do that again with the same external editor for other images.
12-31-2015 - Editable color labels
In Lightroom and other software from competitors, the color tag labels are editable, so the user can define more meaningful labels than red, orange, yellow, etc. For example, in my LR setup, the red tag is labeled "To be processed in PS". In C1, this doesn't seem to be possible, unless I missed something.
01-08-2016 - Print settings not sticky
The print settings for a given image are not sticky. Assuming you open the Print dialog, modify the default settings (including the printer) and you suddenly realize that you have to modify something in the image before printing. You hit Cancel, make the desired modifications and then open the Print dialog again : no luck, all your settings are lost and you have to start again from scratch. Even the target printer is not remembered. Extremely irritating.
02-19-2016 - Assigning a recipe to a specific file
Currently, C1 does not allow to assign a particular process recipe as a default for a given image (or did I miss something ?). This is rather annoying because the user might forget to activate the correct process recipe when working on a particular image. This will impact some editing tools and especially the information displayed in the crop panel. This may lead to wrong decisions. Other C1 users in my environment have already expressed the same remark.

If assigning a default process recipe to an image was possible, this would be much more comfortable for the user. This process recipe would be automatically activated when selecting that image. If no default process recipe has been specified for a given image, then the current active (global) process recipe would apply. If multiple images are selected and all these images have the same default process recipe, that process recipe would apply. If they have different default process recipes, then the global active process recipe would apply.

Implementing this feature doesn't involve much coding, I think, and this would avoid many problems or mistakes.
12-04-2016 - Grid overlay type in Preferences (odd)
I'm wondering why the grid overlay type (3x3, 4x3, golden ratio, etc.) must be set in the Preferences dialog. This just doesn't make sense and is a loss of time. Each image requires a different composition and the grid type that can be used to help during this process vary from image to image. So this setting should be "local", that is, it should be easily set while using the Crop tab. This would be much more consistent. Why force us to open the Preferences dialog each time ? Probably the person who made this design decision has never used the grid overlay on a regular basis. In Lightroom there a shortcut to quickly cycle among the grid overlay types.
UI font size
Still not editable
Better dual monitor support (Windows)
Still impossible to have the main window on the main monitor (the one that usually has the best quality) and the tools + the browser on the secondary monitor.

Thanks in advance to the UI development team for making the coming year better when using the C1 UI.
Last edited by Samoreen on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samoreen

Re: The UI fixes I'm waiting for since years (2018 ?)

Postby Peter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi Samoreen

I am not optimistic that P1 will budge on any of these issues. Over the years I have learned that in C1 you either do it the P1 way or not at all.

The UI is simply archaic compared with other software.

I keep a reliable copy of v9 "in case" but I have moved on.

Good luck, and a Happy New Year to you.

Peter.
Peter

Postby David532 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Samoreen wrote:[Long post]

Hi,

Here is my list of UI problems reported (case created) since 2015 and still waiting to be fixed :

Better dual monitor support (Windows)
Still impossible to have the main window on the main monitor (the one that usually has the best quality) and the tools + the browser on the secondary monitor.

Thanks in advance to the UI development team for making the coming year better when using the C1 UI.

It is - that is exactly how I have got my dual monitors set up. The viewer on my NEC PA241W in front of me and the tools and browser on my NEC P242W to my right. Easy to switch them as well just drag onto the other window. If you let me know your e-mail I will send you my twin screen workspace xml file. I'll go one better, here is a link to ithttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AiL2xpPg6nirodwE2cNl-wPbsj9ZTg
David532

Postby Samoreen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:06 pm

David532 wrote:It is - that is exactly how I have got my dual monitors set up. The viewer on my NEC PA241W in front of me and the tools and browser on my NEC P242W to my right. Easy to switch them as well just drag onto the other window. If you let me know your e-mail I will send you my twin screen workspace xml file. I'll go one better, here is a link to ithttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AiL2xpPg6nirodwE2cNl-wPbsj9ZTg

David,

I guess that you obtained this result like I did : by moving the C1 main window to the secondary display. This is a workaround but it has some drawbacks that are annoying me. I will list them when I’m back to my main system. My email is available on my web site.
Samoreen

Postby Samoreen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:51 pm

David532 wrote:I'll go one better, here is a link to ithttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AiL2xpPg6nirodwE2cNl-wPbsj9ZTg

David,

I have loaded your workspace and it's exactly the same as mine. As previously said, it's only a workaround :

1. Having the main window on the secondary display implies closing the main window on that display in order to exit the program. Closing the Large Viewer window doesn't terminate the program and it will not be there when relaunching C1 if you don't reload your workspace before exiting.

2. The Large Viewer window has a problem : it is missing icons that are present on the main window only. This makes some actions more difficult to trigger. I have already reported this long ago, they promised to fix but the problem is still there.

3. Some menu items are disabled in the Large Viewer window while they are enabled in the main window. Not very practical and a bug anyway.

4. Some commands related to the viewed image are duplicated in both windows.

...etc.

So, it's a workaround but I don't think that we should live with it forever. The developer of the UI has never tried to really use C1 on a dual display under Windows (I know that there are less problems with the Mac). Period. This is questioning for a professional software.
Samoreen

Postby Samoreen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:58 pm

Peter wrote:Good luck, and a Happy New Year to you.Peter.

Thanks, Peter. I wish you the same.

Greetings from Fontainebleau, France.
Samoreen

Postby David532 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:53 pm

I must admit having to pick tools like the pointer, hand etc. off the right-hand screen is less than optimum but as I am right handed and very much a mouse user I can live with it unlike Lightroom for which I have never found a really usable 2 screen layout.
David532

Postby Tan68 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:22 am

...you must select pointer and hand from right hand screen ? I figure you mean you have no little icons for hand or pointer or etc at the top of your primary monitor...

I presume I have my system set up like the two of you have discussed.
I also wish a few things could be different.

However, I am able to pick hand or color readout or select crop tool on my primary monitor that has the preview full screen. Tools and browser on second screen to right.
Tan68

Postby Samoreen » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:20 am

Tan68 wrote:However, I am able to pick hand or color readout or select crop tool on my primary monitor that has the preview full screen. Tools and browser on second screen to right.

Yes, provided the Large Viewer toolbar is not hidden. But you still need to also show the toolbar on the secondary display anyway. Otherwise, some icons are missing in the Large Viewer, as explained above. So you have to show the toolbar on both displays, which is a little bit strange, to say the least. As I said, just a workaround, not something very professional.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e21kw8jg5l1cve6/C1_Workspace.jpg?dl=0

That's why I said that the developer of the UI never really used/tested a dual display configuration under Windows.
Samoreen

Postby SFA » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:10 pm

David532 wrote:I must admit having to pick tools like the pointer, hand etc. off the right-hand screen is less than optimum but as I am right handed and very much a mouse user I can live with it unlike Lightroom for which I have never found a really usable 2 screen layout.

Tool like the Hand, etc., that central menu above the viewer, are about the only ones for which I regularly use the keyboard shortcuts in preference to the cursor selection. What is your experience with that approach across two screens?

Grant
SFA

Postby David532 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:56 pm

SFA wrote:
David532 wrote:I must admit having to pick tools like the pointer, hand etc. off the right-hand screen is less than optimum but as I am right handed and very much a mouse user I can live with it unlike Lightroom for which I have never found a really usable 2 screen layout.

Tool like the Hand, etc., that central menu above the viewer, are about the only ones for which I regularly use the keyboard shortcuts in preference to the cursor selection. What is your experience with that approach across two screens?

Grant

I have the viewer toolbar hiden to minimise clutter. The 24" screen with the viewer is straight in front of me at correct viewing distance for my varifocal reading specs (about 22"). The second 24" screen abuts the first to my right and is angled towards me. I almost exclusively use the mouse which is in my right hand which falls naturaly between the two screens abutment. The keyboard is in front of me but I hardly ever use keyboard short cuts. I find it reasonanly comfortable to select tools from the second screen to work on the primary screen. I have tried a Wacom tablet but just could not get on with it. I suppose my mousing habit is a result of my using one since they were invented :oops:
David532

Postby SFA » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:57 pm

David532 wrote:
SFA wrote:

Grant

I have the viewer toolbar hiden to minimise clutter. The 24" screen with the viewer is straight in front of me at correct viewing distance for my varifocal reading specs (about 22"). The second 24" screen abuts the first to my right and is angled towards me. I almost exclusively use the mouse which is in my right hand which falls naturaly between the two screens abutment. The keyboard is in front of me but I hardly ever use keyboard short cuts. I find it reasonanly comfortable to select tools from the second screen to work on the primary screen. I have tried a Wacom tablet but just could not get on with it. I suppose my mousing habit is a result of my using one since they were invented :oops:

Ok, I understand that, especially the last sentence.

I have used a small Wacom like tablet in past with another application and thought it was great but now I am using a notebook rather than a desk top I tend to use the touchpad.

I tried the tablet recently and did not get on with it but then realised that the main challenge was the the stylus tip in the pen was beyond help. A spare tablet was deployed but I am now so attuned to the touchpad I need time to adjust once more.

Effectively the touchpad is the mouse, of course. But I did discover the convenience of selective short cut keys - especially for selecting commonly used tools. It's worth a try. In my case the notebook layout makes everything very compact. If you set the keyboard off to the left your left hand would have something to do! :D

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635912511819726896UL » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Samoreen wrote:01-08-2016 - Print settings not sticky
The print settings for a given image are not sticky. Assuming you open the Print dialog, modify the default settings (including the printer) and you suddenly realize that you have to modify something in the image before printing. You hit Cancel, make the desired modifications and then open the Print dialog again : no luck, all your settings are lost and you have to start again from scratch. Even the target printer is not remembered. Extremely irritating.

Could not agree more with this request ....
My biggest gripe with capture One
NN635912511819726896UL

Postby KazInVan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:48 am

Really? I find the layout of Lightroom perfect for my work. I have a 27" AdobeRGB screen where I edit a full size image. I like controls to be on the same screen. On the second screen (24" sRGB) I have my grid view with the images I'll be processing. Easy to see everything, but apparently impossible to replicate in Capture One.

KazInVan

Postby NN635387830551012856UL » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:40 am

Support most of these - especially the non-sticky print settings. Very irritating.
NN635387830551012856UL

Next

Return to Capture One 11.x Software