Complete beginner needing help

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x and 9.x

Complete beginner needing help

Postby NNN636177492886319704 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Hello to everyone,

I was hoping I could please get some help or advice for a total newbie who is just about to take my 1st steps into editing my pics. To be honest, I'm getting completely confused by it all.

I originally looked at LR but have decided to go with Capture One after reading all the reviews. I was particularly interested in Pro 9 but I can't seem to find where to purchase it and everywhere I look it seems to appear with the latest Pro 10 which is a little too expensive for me..... Can someone please point me in the right direction.

I have the Fuji X-E2 (Kit lens) and a Ricoh GR II - Is there any software that would be suitable? I'm just a guy that takes pics of his young family and holidays, so I don't need the top of the range.

Cheers
Gary
NNN636177492886319704

Re: Complete beginner needing help

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:38 pm

As version 10 is the latest I don't think they sell version 9 anymore (upgrades on 9 are going to be limited or non-exsistance, PhaseOne's Standard Operating procedure). And as I recall, version 9 and version 10 at full price are the same, i think $299. (Yep just checked). If you want to save a little, you could do the Subscription model, which you pay monthly but if you stop paying you loose the use of the program.

If you are on the Mac, then there are a couple of alternatives: Luminar, OnOne Raw ( I say this is still in beta, not everything is complete, should not be for sale yet), Pictorial or Afinity Photo (I believe have a RAW converter). Now, I have all these but do not use them. None have any kind of DAM, they are more like using CO9/10 in session mode. They are all inexpensive, and to me you get what you pay for.

Robert
PhaseoneUser55657

Postby RobertJosephBailey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi

I have an unused license for C1 9.x if you are interested.

A different Robert
RobertJosephBailey

Postby Keith Reeder » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:31 pm

RobertJosephBailey wrote:I have an unused license for C1 9.x if you are interested.

From the licence agreement:
2. Grant of License.
Subject to the restrictions in Section 3, Phase One hereby grants to you the following non-exclusive rights in respect of the Software subject to your fulfillment of the relevant criteria. The rights granted to you are personal and non-transferable. Your rights under this License will terminate automatically without notice from Phase One if you fail to comply with any term(s) of this License
Keith Reeder

Postby Keith Reeder » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:36 pm

NNN636177492886319704 wrote: I'm just a guy that takes pics of his young family and holidays, so I don't need the top of the range.

You probably won't (or don't need to) be shooting Raw either, then?

In which case you don't need a dedicated Raw converter. Affinity Photo will probably be right up your street.

And if you do move to using the Raw format - Photo has a built-in Raw converter too. Raw conversion is still something of a work in progress in Photo, but it's a superb image editor...
Keith Reeder

Postby Keith Reeder » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:37 pm

PhaseoneUser55657 wrote:They are all inexpensive, and to me you get what you pay for.

You might want to try Affinity Photo before dismissing it what that old meme...
Keith Reeder

Postby RobertJosephBailey » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:14 am

Gary

From what I have seen your best bet would be Photoshop Elements 15. I bought a copy for my daughter from John Lewis for £79.99 at Christmas and it will do everything you want and more.

I use Capture One, I also use Affinity Photo. Affinity Photo is more akin to the full Photoshop and not very intuitive.

Capture One is very good technically but has limitations in it's help system which is not something you want if you are new to this stuff.
RobertJosephBailey

Postby mli20 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:10 am

RobertJosephBailey wrote:Hi

I have an unused license for C1 9.x if you are interested.

A different Robert

The Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled as follows:

"An author of software cannot oppose the resale of his 'used' licenses."

2. july 2012, C-128/11

In other words you are free to sell your license. But maybe you already knew that.

Mogens
mli20

Postby RobertJosephBailey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Thank you Mogens for that information.

This license has in fact never been used.

I bought it from the Flash Centre about a year ago. Then I went to a Phase One event and won a license for C1 at that event. I never even plugged the Flash Centre code in.

I have been wondering what I could do with it or use it for.

Thanks again for your help.

Robert
RobertJosephBailey

Postby mli20 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Glad to be of assistance.

Please note that a license given to you for free under the law might be treated differently from a purchased license.

All the best,
Mogens
mli20

Postby fotojenic777 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:28 am

NNN636177492886319704 wrote:Hello to everyone,

I was hoping I could please get some help or advice for a total newbie who is just about to take my 1st steps into editing my pics. To be honest, I'm getting completely confused by it all.

I originally looked at LR but have decided to go with Capture One after reading all the reviews. I was particularly interested in Pro 9 but I can't seem to find where to purchase it and everywhere I look it seems to appear with the latest Pro 10 which is a little too expensive for me..... Can someone please point me in the right direction.

I have the Fuji X-E2 (Kit lens) and a Ricoh GR II - Is there any software that would be suitable? I'm just a guy that takes pics of his young family and holidays, so I don't need the top of the range.

Cheers
Gary

Will you be editing raw or jpeg?
fotojenic777

Return to Capture One 10.x and 9.x Software