strange lines when shooting tethered and fast (P65+)

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

strange lines when shooting tethered and fast (P65+)

Postby C-M-B » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:05 am

Hello!

Recently I noticed that when I'm shooting tethered and nearly exhausting the buffer I sometimes get horizontal lines on my images.
These lines (1-2 per picture) are 1px wide and either go over the whole image or start somewhere in the middle.
They are mostly white but sometimes they also have weird dots and colours in them.

They rarely appear when shooting tethered via firewire to my MacPro 2009 (powered by firewire, no hub between the camera and the computer) and more frequently when shooting tethered via thunderbolt/firewire adapter to my MacbookPro 2013 Retina (back powered by battery).
They never appear when I'm shooting slowly (meaning when the buffer is not full or close to being exhausted).

I have sent the back to be recalibrated a few months ago, they also exchanged my firewire port and a few other bits and pieces.

Could this be related to the service or is it more likely my firewire cable that's at fault, and that fault appears more frequently with the thunderbolt/firewire adapter?

It never happens when I'm using CF cards and has never appeared before.
C-M-B

Re: strange lines when shooting tethered and fast (P65+)

Postby C-M-B » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:14 am

ps.: maybe it's worth noting that this happened while I was powering the back with the old 2900mAh batteries and not the newer 3400mAh battery!
C-M-B

Postby ben_US » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:45 pm

I suggest setting up a support case and uploading one of the corrupted .iiq files there. We may be able to discern the cause of the corruption from the raw file.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby C-M-B » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:08 pm

I just wanted to tell anyone who's having the same problem: it seems that the firewire cable is somewhat broken and when it's very hot the adapter exaggerates the issue further.
Phase One Support was very helpful and recommended the use of a Firewire-Hub instead of a thunderbolt/firewire adapter
C-M-B

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs