Slow performance on CO 9 and CO 10

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

Slow performance on CO 9 and CO 10

Postby andersdahlphotography » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Hi

I have discovered some poor performance with CO 10 (and also on CO 9) in following areas:
- adjusting slides after long work in CO (30-60 minutes). Suddently updates to image after adjusting sliders takes 3-5 seconds.
- processing JPEGs takes massive amount of time. Exporting 75 images in 100% full size JPEG takes approx. 45 minuttes.

I work with rather large files from Nikon D810 (36mpix) on a max spec'ed MacBook Pro (late 2015, i7 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB pic-e SSD, macOS Sierra).

Is it just because my MacBook Pro isn't quick enough ?

Merry Christmas to you all :-)
/Anders
andersdahlphotography

Re: Slow performance on CO 9 and CO 10

Postby tenmangu81 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Hi Anders,

I am still working with C1 v9, but I haven't been faced with your issue until now. Adjusting any slider is almost instantaneous, and processing a JPEG 100% takes about 1 or 2 seconds on my MBP 15" Retina early 2014 (i7 2.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD El Capitan). I haven't tried with v10 yet.
Maybe the problem you encounter is related with your config ? Do you have other applications opened ?
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby col_du_aspin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:32 am

Looks like we are running the same hardware and OS but experiencing different slowness problems.

I am not experiencing any major delays while adjust various sliders and export has been very quick. Even I'm working with Nikon D810 files but editing in TIF format for multiple layers.

My problem is same as my original problem, http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23908, in C09, which is major slowness when moving from a TIFF thumbnail to another TIFF thumbnail or from TIFF to NEF Thumbnails. NEF to NEF thumbnails is fast.

One thing I did discover is that if your TIFF file is 8 bit instead of 16 bit, C0 10 is a little faster.

For me to apply Metadata from one file to another takes a long time. I think C010 in the background is reading the entire file when you click on the thumbnail for reasons I do not know.

Next weekend i might rebuild my entire Macbook Pro and install OS Sierra from scratch.
col_du_aspin

Postby dredlew » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:11 am

andersdahlphotography wrote:- adjusting slides after long work in CO (30-60 minutes). Suddently updates to image after adjusting sliders takes 3-5 seconds.
- processing JPEGs takes massive amount of time. Exporting 75 images in 100% full size JPEG takes approx. 45 minuttes.

- If you have OpenCL activated, then the slow exporting is most definitely related to that. Turn it off and let the processor do the work. It will max out to 100% and the fans may be spinning but at least it will export at a continuous pace. 75 images should not take more than a couple minutes tops.
- As for adjusting sliders, I have not noticed that and I usually work several hours at a time with the software. Slowness there may also be due to OpenCL. I have mine completely turned off in v9 (still testing v10).
Fuji X-Pro2 - C1 11.3.0 on OSX 10.14.1 - MacPro (Late 2013) / 3.7GHz Xeon E5 / 64GB / 2x AMD FirePro D300 2GB / BenQ SW320 31.5in 4K
dredlew

Postby NNN636156073736100359 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:26 pm

I'm so glad to be a CO user and I've juts bought it...what a suprised when i discovered the same bug as you.

When I click on a thumbnail of a multi layers TIF image...it's a pure horror, total sluginess...then everything freeze for minutes and minutes!!!. Then If I have the bad idea to click on a .nef to try to quit the freezing preview bug...the NEF appear full of pixels!!!

I'm running sierra on a MBP late 2013 / 16Gb ram / 1Tb SSD and CO10
Nikon D810

I'm happy to see I'm not alone, I thought I did something wrong. Few minutes ago, I told to myself "maybe CO10 isn't enable to handle .TIF files? let's see in the help section". But it' would be like this it's wouldn't be good, because LR handle it greatly and I don't want to regret my CO10 subscription ;-)

We're not alone with this problem, I read it on an other one forum....hope they read us and fix itI
NNN636156073736100359

Postby andersdahlphotography » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:56 pm

When browsing files with NEF and TIFF files, CO is slow in the transition between NEF and TIFF, and TIFF and NEF files. No wonder, TIFF is typically between 500MB and 2GB in size.

Hint, if you flatten the TIFF in PS it becomes much smaller in size, and CO will respond faster :-)

Kind regards,
/Anders
andersdahlphotography

Postby NNN636156073736100359 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 pm

andersdahlphotography wrote:When browsing files with NEF and TIFF files, CO is slow in the transition between NEF and TIFF, and TIFF and NEF files. No wonder, TIFF is typically between 500MB and 2GB in size.

Hint, if you flatten the TIFF in PS it becomes much smaller in size, and CO will respond faster :-)

Kind regards,
/Anders

Thanks for your answer. My tif are under 500Mb but close. Anyway, If I choose to keep the TIF with layers is to allow me the possibility, once re-opened in PS to make few adjustments if necessary. I read CO doesn't read PSD is that true? I'm new with CO so I went the TIF way, but if someone give me the solution to keep layers and avoid CO10 total freezing...until it's fixed please let me know. Thank you very much
NNN636156073736100359

Postby col_du_aspin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:10 am

My TIFF files tends to be near 2GB due to so many layers being used. Flattening the TIFF means I loose all my layers.

Capture One doesnt read PSD files at all, due to PSD being a proprietary Adobe format.

NN636156073736100359 wrote: avoid CO10 total freezing...until it's fixed please let me know.

alot of people are waiting for this to happen. I don't know why Phase One doesnt seem to acknowledge this problem.

I mean not everyone can spend $5000 to $10000 on a very fast Mac Pro so that they dont encounter the spinning beachball every time they try to browse a TIFF file.

Would using something like an eGPU, i.e Razor Core, make a difference to the performance of Capture One Pro on a macbook pro ?
col_du_aspin

Postby Triumph Steve » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:14 am

My unfortunate experience this week, in updating from Pro 9.3 tot he trial version of Pro 10, is total disaster that tech support has not resolved for me. I am locked out of my catalog of images made with Pro 9.3 and cannot even open 9.3, while Pro 1o runs so slow that it locks up my computer. Very bad experience.
Triumph Steve

Postby dredlew » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:30 am

Triumph Steve wrote:My unfortunate experience this week, in updating from Pro 9.3 tot he trial version of Pro 10, is total disaster that tech support has not resolved for me. I am locked out of my catalog of images made with Pro 9.3 and cannot even open 9.3, while Pro 1o runs so slow that it locks up my computer. Very bad experience.

Um, why would you expect a v10 catalog to open in v9.3? Once you upgrade, you're on v10 and you can't go back to v9.3 unless you have a backup. Although, it doesn't seem like you have one, otherwise you would still be working in v9.3 without issues if v10 was not for you. I suggest you look into backup strategies and why they are important. Just a guess, but without a backup, support will be unable to help you.

As for opening v9.3, yes you can. Open it while having the option/alt-key pressed until the catalog selection screen appears. Create a new catalog from there and it's back up and running. Re-import all RAW files again. Of course, all edits are gone but that's what the backup would have been for. So you will have to start over, with a backup this time (hopefully).
Fuji X-Pro2 - C1 11.3.0 on OSX 10.14.1 - MacPro (Late 2013) / 3.7GHz Xeon E5 / 64GB / 2x AMD FirePro D300 2GB / BenQ SW320 31.5in 4K
dredlew

Postby dredlew » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:47 am

col_du_aspin wrote:My TIFF files tends to be near 2GB due to so many layers being used. Flattening the TIFF means I loose all my layers.

Capture One doesnt read PSD files at all, due to PSD being a proprietary Adobe format.

NN636156073736100359 wrote: avoid CO10 total freezing...until it's fixed please let me know.

alot of people are waiting for this to happen. I don't know why Phase One doesnt seem to acknowledge this problem.

I mean not everyone can spend $5000 to $10000 on a very fast Mac Pro so that they dont encounter the spinning beachball every time they try to browse a TIFF file.

Would using something like an eGPU, i.e Razor Core, make a difference to the performance of Capture One Pro on a macbook pro ?

My TIFF files are up to the 4GB limit and yes, it's insanely slow clicking from one to the next. It's been existent for a long time but P1 doesn't get it. It seems like C1 tries to read the whole TIFF file with all its layered contents to create a preview, when it only needs to read the already existing embedded JPG preview. It's pretty crazy. Aperture and LR don't even blink for the same process.

And no, a Mac Pro nor an eGPU (which is unlikely to be supported) would make a difference. It's a C1 bug that they choose to ignore. Once they get their Medium Format workflow out of their heads, maybe we'll see a change in these kinds of things.
dredlew

Postby enkaytee » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:56 am

The catalog upgrade process when you ran 10 for the first time created a backup of your version 9 catalog. If you want to revert to that catalog and use 9 again there are some instructions here: http://blog.phaseone.com/how-to-upgrade ... one-pro-9/ (though it refers to reverting from 9 to 8 the process is the same).

Hope this helps...
enkaytee

Postby Marc_D » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 am

col_du_aspin wrote:

Well, I can tell you that a MacPro, even fully specced, does not solve the problem. Generally, speaking I have found my MacPro to be slower than I would have liked/expected (also with Lightroom and Photoshop). This is nothing scientific, but something I noticed when upgrading from a MacBook Pro some years ago.
Marc_D

Postby NNN636156073736100359 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:04 am

I actually pay a monthly subscription to a full adobe cloud CC, and coming from a many years LR workflow.
I tried CO9 few days ago and loved it. When CO10 was announced I took the annual subscription and moved my LR catalog to CO10. I can't imagine now, making a huge step backward because of a bug.

The problem is (and we're so many here to tell and prove it) CO10 can't do a simple work while we're paying for it.
I mean it could be a bug with tethering with certain camera under certain circumstances...ok PHASE ONE has to fix it but it's not a priority for them. I mean it's not the top list of the bugs to fix...but there, it means that if you plan to make adjustments to your photos, you're stuck in CO10 otherwise if you export in PS you're have to flatten your layers!!! it's a pure nonsense! As I wrote it before, layers have been created to allow the photographer to keep working on non-destructive files whenever he wants.
I sent them a big message via the support console and sent them a screen capture to show them the problem but I really guess they already reproduce the bug at the headquarters.
I'm sorry to say it but it's prohibitive to any photographer's workflow so if they don't fix it, (as I can't use it) we'll have to find a solution for a refund.
But let's stay positive ;-)
NNN636156073736100359

Postby Triumph Steve » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:32 am

dredlew wrote:
Triumph Steve wrote:My unfortunate experience this week, in updating from Pro 9.3 tot he trial version of Pro 10, is total disaster that tech support has not resolved for me. I am locked out of my catalog of images made with Pro 9.3 and cannot even open 9.3, while Pro 1o runs so slow that it locks up my computer. Very bad experience.

Um, why would you expect a v10 catalog to open in v9.3? Once you upgrade, you're on v10 and you can't go back to v9.3 unless you have a backup. Although, it doesn't seem like you have one, otherwise you would still be working in v9.3 without issues if v10 was not for you. I suggest you look into backup strategies and why they are important. Just a guess, but without a backup, support will be unable to help you.

As for opening v9.3, yes you can. Open it while having the option/alt-key pressed until the catalog selection screen appears. Create a new catalog from there and it's back up and running. Re-import all RAW files again. Of course, all edits are gone but that's what the backup would have been for. So you will have to start over, with a backup this time (hopefully).

What is the logic of owning a paid copy of Pro 9.3, trying out the trial Pro 10, having to accept the trial's requirement to upgrade the catalog to the new version 10, and then be unable to get back into your preferred 9.3 program because you somehow got locked out of it due tot he catalog upgrade to 10? That is my current problem, and I did have a catalog backup of 9.3

I am still working on a solution.
Triumph Steve

Next

Return to Capture One 10.x Software