Catalog corruption!

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Re: Catalog corruption!

Postby peter.f » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:01 am

SFA wrote:You might check to see if zipping the catalog would greatly reduce the size. If you are using referenced files the chances are that it would make a big difference.

I believe that you can open the catalog file (right-click the file in the Finder, the select "show package contents") and then *copy* the actual DB file for uploading (don't move it out of the package). Most of the disk space is taken by thumbnails and previews.

Not on the mac now, so can't give you the exact file and folders names.

HTH,
Peter.
X-T1, X100S; MBP 15" 2010, 8GB, OSX 10.11.4; Catalog on SSD, ref'd images on external USB2.
peter.f

Postby wombi1973 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:56 pm

I too have just had the same problem with CO9 and am not happy!

Last night I noticed that one of my keywords was incorrectly spelled, so within the keyword library I selected to rename it....then CO9 just sat there for over an hour doing nothing. On my MacBook Pro (not my main computer) I only have a smaller catalogue and I only had 200 photos that had this keyword allocated to them!

After waiting for so long I had to force CO9 to terminate and now the catalogue is so corrupt that the verification does not work and I am sitting here overseas, where I do not have a backup, with absolutely no catalogue anymore!

Not happy at all.
wombi1973

Postby NNN634568587771453812 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:45 am

I don't use catalogues... but it was destroying my sessions too. I found that if I opened another new session (it would ultimately destroy this session too), I could navigate to the corrupt job through the library and process as per usual (to the new session). All adjustments were still there.

Not a long term solution – but a fix when in a bind!
NNN634568587771453812

Postby NNN634715428012677812 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:15 am

Hey there i am having this exact problem, do you know of a programmer that can help me? or is this something that most programmers will be able to help with.

thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
NNN634715428012677812

Postby NN635376886096228908UL » Sat May 28, 2016 9:15 am

I have the exact same problem and don-t have a clue on how to fix. I tried to create a new catalog and import the previous one but it does not work as well. I may have lost years of work. Can anyone help?

https://d.pr/i/1aL68

Thank you
NN635376886096228908UL

Postby John Doe » Sat May 28, 2016 9:46 am

Have you tried to open a backup?
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:19 pm

I have also had the problem with trying to change a keyword's spelling, waiting infinitely for CO to complete the process, force quitting and being left with a corrupted database that could not be repaired. That is why I make a backup from within CO before quitting it any time I make changes. I also use only referenced files that I backup separately. Assuming you have a backup, you can go to that backup, and open the database (the file ending in .cocatalogdb). The only problem with this is that CO will have to regenerate all of the previews and thumbnails, and this can be time consuming (the backup does not backup the Cache folder, which has the Previews and Thumbnails) So, the easy thing to do is to copy your backup (the one you made before or when you last quit CO) and replace the corrupted backup with it (show package contents of the cocatalog to see the cocatalogdb you will need to replace). You should not need to copy the adjustments file from the backup, since it is identical to the one in the folder of the corrupted catalog and will not have been corrupted.

Summary:

1. Use CO to backup its database any time you make changes to it before quitting CO. If you did, you can proceed to step 2.
2. Copy the last backup cocatalogdb
3. Go to your cocatalog file and right click on "Show Package Contents."
4. Replace the file ending in .cocatalogdb with the file of the same name from your backup
NN635680879799322049UL

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Catalog corruption. Desperate for a fix

Postby NN635523068592468562UL » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:50 pm

BerndInBerlin wrote:Hi.
I ran into the same problem with the at present extremely buggy Capture One 9. Nothing I tried helped until I attempted this step:

I created a new empty catalogue and imported the old one that I was unable to repair. It took a while (more than 10000 images) but all my work was recovered.

Hope this solution is not too late for you and works.

Hi BerndInBerlin,
Thank you very much for this very useful proposition.
I repaired a broken catalog using this method.
Thanks,
Best regards,
Philippe
NN635523068592468562UL

Postby NNN634407031870675237 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:46 pm

Aaron,
could you share the contact of the programmer who fixed your issue? I am in your same exact situation, of all the methods suggested nothing worked, and guess what... under a deadline as well.. :?
thank you!
Gianluca
NNN634407031870675237

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Importing the entire corrupted catalog even if it works can present a problem. When importing a catalog (including a project saved as a catalog), manual sort order is not preserved. Both Aperture and Capture One keep track of manual sort order when exporting, but do not have access to the sort order data when importing. While you may be able to recover metadata and settings by importing the catalog into a new blank catalog, you will have to resort any albums that were manually sorted. When I migrated from Aperture to Capture One, I had to resort my albums, which took months to do.

So, always use the backup function in Capture One to backup your catalog after each session in which you make changes, including before incremental upgrades. It is not necessary or time efficient to copy the entire .cocatalog package using OS 10's Finder. The backup .cogatalogdb file can be used to replace the corrupted .cocatlaogdb file, which is the one that was corrupted. To do this, show the package contents of the corrupted .cocatalog package and drag the backup .cocatalogdb into it to replace the corrupted one.

Jerry C
NN635680879799322049UL

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Catalog corruption. Desperate for a fix

Postby chrislappas » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:10 pm

BerndInBerlin wrote:Hi.
I ran into the same problem with the at present extremely buggy Capture One 9. Nothing I tried helped until I attempted this step:

I created a new empty catalogue and imported the old one that I was unable to repair. It took a while (more than 10000 images) but all my work was recovered.

Hope this solution is not too late for you and works.

I have had the same problem with the programme freezing and the database becoming corrupted every few days.

How did you import the old catalogue into the new one? When I create a new catalogue and I click the import button it does not allow me to choose catalogues, only folders. Nor does it allow me to "explore" the catalogue through capture one and find folders within it even though I have checked the "subfolders" button.

NN635680879799322049UL wrote:The backup .cogatalogdb file can be used to replace the corrupted .cocatlaogdb file, which is the one that was corrupted. To do this, show the package contents of the corrupted .cocatalog package and drag the backup .cocatalogdb into it to replace the corrupted one.

Jerry C

When I open the package content I see this:

Which file must replace which?
chrislappas

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Assuming that the part in Greek means what I think it means: Replace the one with the suffix, cocatalogdb with the cocatalogdb (Capture One catalog database) created by the Capture One backup. This is the 5th one from the top in your screenshot. Also, I believe the journal file is a temporary file left behind when Capture One crashed. The writelock file indicates that an instance of Capture One is running, so if you get a message to that effect, delete the write lock file and reopen the database.

Jerry C
NN635680879799322049UL

Postby NN635752413975141440UL » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi folks, I'm having the exactly the same problem as Aaron had and can't get my latest catalog to open either.

The catalog "Capture One 2017 .cocatalogdb" failed basic checks. Verify and repair it?

Failed to connect with database
/Volumes/USB30FD2017/Capture One 2017 .cocatalog/Capture One 2017 .cocatalogdb

Database connection FAILED

The requested document type is not recognized.
The provided database is of an unknown type.

I would be really grateful if he could get in touch with me to tell me how he resolved the problem or if anyone else has also had this experience and fixed it.
Yours sincerely
Andrew Ritchie
NN635752413975141440UL

Postby chrislappas » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:03 am

NN635680879799322049UL wrote:Assuming that the part in Greek means what I think it means: Replace the one with the suffix, cocatalogdb with the cocatalogdb (Capture One catalog database) created by the Capture One backup. This is the 5th one from the top in your screenshot. Also, I believe the journal file is a temporary file left behind when Capture One crashed. The writelock file indicates that an instance of Capture One is running, so if you get a message to that effect, delete the write lock file and reopen the database.

Jerry C

Thank you very much!
chrislappas

Postby Daniel Evans » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:30 am

I have just gone through my own catalog corruption, and managed to solve it. In my case, on macOS Sierra, I opened up my "Main" Catalog in Capture One Pro (Sony). Upon opening the catalog, the application froze, I had the spinning beachball of death, and after waiting several minutes, I decided it must have simply hung, so I force-quit and relaunched it. Upon relaunching, I got the following error:

"Database connection FAILED. The requested document type is not recognized. The provided database is of an unknown type"

By using the Finder (Windows explorer for Windows users) I was able to locate my catalog, in the location I originally saved it when I created it. I then right clicked and selected "Show package contents" (On windows, I think the Catalog files are all in a folder in the location you saved your catalog in to start with). This showed me the catalog files. Inside, there were the following files:
-The catalog file itself, which is the name I gave it with ".cocatalogdb" appended to the end.
-Two folders, "Adjustments" and "Cache"
-A file called "writelock"
-A file with the same name as the catalog file, with -journal on the end

The folders and catalog file are normal.

The "writelock" file is normal, if you are looking in this location when the catalog is currently open in Capture One that is. If you do not have Capture One open and there is a "writelock" file, it means the catalog did not close down properly last time it closed, and Capture One didn't delete this file like it should because of that. What this file does, is to lock out anyone else trying to open the catalog at the same time as you, say for instance another user. If if two people tried to edit the catalog at the same time, this could result in corruption, so the way Capture One handles this is to show an error message and not let you open the catalog if there is a "writelock" file in the catalog folder. The "writelock" file should be deleted whenever the catalog successfully closes, so that the next user to open the catalog is able to do so. If the "writelock" file is not deleted, then although nobody actually has the catalog open, Capture One will think somebody does, and will not let you open it. So the fix for this is, if you have a "writelock" file and the catalog is not currently open anywhere else, move the "writelock" file to the trash.

The other problem file is the file named the same as the library file, with "-journal" appended. Eg, for my catalog named "Main", this file was called "Main.cocatalogdb-journal". This is where the main problem in my case was stemming from. This file is generated when a "transaction" is being processed with the main catalog file (which is an SQL database, and this -journal is a function of SQL databases called "hot journaling"). A "transaction" is effectively Capture One trying to update something in the database. It may be many things. From what I understand, this "-journal" file serves as a "rollback" or "backup" for whatever data is being changed in the database, in case something goes wrong with the transaction. It is only created when Capture One tries to change something in the database, exists as long as the database is being written to, and then is deleted when the database has been successfully updated. If, like me, you have this file present when your catalog is not open in Capture One, it means when the catalog last closed, it was in the middle of a "transaction". Now, when you try and open your catalog in Capture One, it will give you errors, because the database was halfway through writing when it was last shut down, and is now effectively corrupt. The "-journal" file is our saviour now, as it holds the critical information to "rollback" the half completed "transaction" information in the catalog. The key is to get these transactions rolled back using the info from the "-journal" file. This is where I would expect Capture One to be able to repair it's own catalog, as all the information is there. For some reason though, Capture One hasn't been built to be able to rollback transaction errors using the "-journal" file, so we must use a different SQL application to open the database. In my case, I used an open-source application called "DB Browser for SQLite". I believe they have a version for Windows, as well as the MacOS version I used. It can be downloaded at the following link:

http://sqlitebrowser.org

Steps to repair database using "DB Browser for SQLite"
1.) Copy your whole catalog to a new location, to serve as a backup. This means the file you right clicked and clicked "Show Package Contents" on in the steps above, NOT the much smaller sized ".cocatalogdb" file inside the this location.
2.) Make a new empty folder on your desktop, what you call it doesn't matter.
3.) Once the catalog has finished copying, right click on the original catalog (not the copied one, the copied one is just a backup) and select "Show Package Contents".
3.) Move the "(your catalog name).cocatalogdb" and the "(your catalog name).cocatalogdb-journal" files to the empty folder on the desktop you made in step 2
4.) Launch "DB Browser for SQLite", then in the menu bar, select "File", "Open Database".
5.) Select the catalog file in the folder on the desktop, and click open.
6.) The catalog database will now open. Once it has opened, you can close "DB Browser for SQLite". The magic has already happened, just by opening the catalog file with this program!
7.) If you look in the folder on the desktop, you should now find that the "(your catalog name).cocatalogdb-journal" file has disappeared. There should only be one file in the folder now, "(your catalog name).cocatalogdb". If this is the case, you have been successful so far.
8.) Now, right click on the original catalog and select "Show Package Contents" once more
9.) Inside the catalog, move the "(your catalog name).cocatalogdb" and "(your catalog name).cocatalogdb-journal" files to the trash (also the "writelock" file if there is one).
10.) Lastly, move the "(your catalog name).cocatalogdb" file from the folder on the desktop into the catalog (where you just trashed the files from).
11.) You should now be able to successfully open the catalog. If you do so, BACKUP THE CATALOG and make good habits to back up often! Congratulations on saving your ass! :)

Hope this helps somebody, I am personally so relieved to have fixed my catalog, I will now always back up religiously :)
Daniel Evans

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 9.x Software