Catalog corruption!

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Re: Catalog corruption!

Postby NN635642273810326456UL » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:27 pm

The same thing happened to me this weekend. This is definitely related to the memory issue (iMac 5k). Program beach-balled forever after trying to combine two identical keywords. I eventually force quit CO9 and when I went to open it back up it was "Database connection FAILED".

I have my database on Dropbox so I theoretically have infinite backups. I am hopeful I can restore easily.

I did not find CO8 to be nearly so buggy. I am only a hobbiest, so delays are not deadly for me. I can't imagine how a pro could deal with this. Maybe they run better hardware?

Disappointed, to say the least.
NN635642273810326456UL

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:00 am

NN635642273810326456UL wrote:The same thing happened to me this weekend. This is definitely related to the memory issue (iMac 5k). Program beach-balled forever after trying to combine two identical keywords. I eventually force quit CO9 and when I went to open it back up it was "Database connection FAILED".

I have my database on Dropbox so I theoretically have infinite backups. I am hopeful I can restore easily.

I did not find CO8 to be nearly so buggy. I am only a hobbiest, so delays are not deadly for me. I can't imagine how a pro could deal with this. Maybe they run better hardware?

Disappointed, to say the least.

I'm intrigued.

WHen you write "trying to combine two identical keywords" - can you expand on that a little . Under what circumstances do you get 2 identical keywords?

I have seen "duplicates" related to character case (which is sort of not unreasonable in the IT industry) but as yet have not come across two entries and counts for the same word. However I would like to try to recreate that to see what happens. I have some potential situations in hierarchies where that might occur.

Secondly - your use of Dropbox. Is that for backup and/or sharing between machines or are you somehow using it like a networked drive?

Thanks for any further insights you can offer.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635642273810326456UL » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Disclaimer--I try hard, but I am no expert in CO. I am sure that I am part of the problem. That said, I would have hoped that this product would be more idiot-proof, and allow me to screw things up without causing fatal errors. For example, the software knows the database is corrupt, but cannot do anything to repair it. That is disappointing, especially when one of the previous posters said he found someone who wrote a bit of code in just a few minutes to repair his database.

Keywords--My keywords and color coding are a bit messed as a result of my import from Aperture. I have a long list of keywords, and some are repeats (seemingly exactly the same "Jilly" and "Jilly"). I have not had a chance to clean them up, and was just trying to select all of the pics associated with one of the Jilly keywords and then associate them with the other so that I could then delete the first keyword that would no longer have any unique associations. I was in the process of doing that (I think there were around 200 associated with the first and ~1500 associated with the second) but CO9 froze up and stayed that way for long enough that it appeared unlikely to correct itself. I did not check the activity monitor at the time to see what was happening, I just assumed that memory had run up again and that I needed to force quit. I have had CO9 memory usage of >73gb over the last few weeks (I only have 24gb of RAM so its obviously using the hard drive).

Dropbox--I use dropbox for everything. I have a business account which gives me tremendous backup recovery capability. The CO database is local and resides on an external 6TB hard drive, but is synced to the "cloud" or their servers somewhere (I understand the risk associated with dropbox and external drives but I have lots of experience with this risk both at home and in my business and have managed it carefully with no negative results).

dan
NN635642273810326456UL

Postby harald_walker » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:42 pm

NN635642273810326456UL wrote:I have not had a chance to clean them up...

How large is your catalog and how long did you wait?

In smaller catalogs (e.g. less than 10.000) it should be working. Probably slow but at least not freezing the machine for ages.

I'd really suggest you wait with cleaning up and organizing keywords until PhaseOne has fixed these issues. If they don't improve this within the next update I am seriously questioning if C1 is the right product for me. It was already disappointing to see that the 9.0.2 update did not fix any bugs.
harald_walker

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:56 am

harald_walker wrote: It was already disappointing to see that the 9.0.2 update did not fix any bugs.

Why?

It has only been a week or so since 9.0.1.

It was also explicitly clear that from the announcement that the ONLY thing that was added was support for the new Phase Back. That, presumably, was just a matter of timing.

Unless you have got one of the new backs there is no purpose to downloading 9.0.2.

Grant
SFA

Postby Rick Evertsz » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:44 am

I've been using C1P since v8 (the Sony Pro version). I've been very happy with it, until my catalog became corrupted yesterday (because I had to force quit). I tried all of the solutions here, to no avail. I was able to open the catalog after trying the command line solution (I think suggested by HansB), but most of the photos were missing. Fortunately, I had a backup from 8 days ago, and had only added 18 photos (all externally referenced).

I hope Phase One can make the database more robust. I had damaged catalogs in Aperture a couple of times, but it had a repair feature that always worked for me. From now on, I will backup the catalog after any significant amount of work. I'm not going to whinge about things, because I'm very grateful that the Sony version is so ridiculously cheap. I miss a few things from Aperture, but I love how nice the C1P defaults are and the vastly superior editing capabilities it has.

I'm posting this to provide another data point about the risk of catalog corruption.
Rick Evertsz

Postby CaptureMann » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:26 am

Now I have a new problem...

On the Mac, photos are typically stored within the Mac OS's "Pictures" folder.
The path is Users/username/Pictures.

I imported my entire Lightroom catalog into Capture One.

Since I did that, I have 1) added more photos to Capture One and 2) consolidated some folders within my catalog.
I keep photos on folders by month. Once a year ends, I put all 2015 folders in a new folder called 2015.

When I did these two things, Capture One has created a second directory hierarchy in the Library tab - that looks identical to the original one.

After some poking around, I found the Show Info function. Guess what I found?
In the original hierarchy, the "Where" field of Show Info shows: Users/username/Pictures
But in the "Where" field of the new hierarchy, Show Info shows: Users/Username/Pictures
Note that Capture One has capitalized my name - all by itself. No wonder it sees two directories.

Anyone know how to fix this?

My impression of Capture One after using it for a week or so is frustratingly simple:
RAW converter and features are nice, but the Digital Asset Management function is incomplete on not ready for sale...
I REALLY want to like this software, but it's not making it easy
CaptureMann

Postby Frank.O » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:25 pm

CaptureMann,

look here please: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=18745&st=0

I had the same problem and my solution is in there.

Regards,
Frank
Frank.O

Postby NN635396322977093750UL » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Having joined the "Corrupted 9.0.1 database" i am very interested to hear more about the "command line" syntax, which apparently has helped some other unfortunate users?

Or if you guys have done anything else apart from more backups.......
I am already backing up daily, but restore will take quite some time, so if anyone had a magic trick, it would be most helpful.....

Best...Jan
NN635396322977093750UL

Postby NNN635766906867029431 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Dear Aaron,

can you forword the contact of the programmer who fixed your database? I'm just having the exact same problem :(

Regards
Lost
NNN635766906867029431

Postby NNN635807831268584790 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi Aaron and all!

I have the same problem/error message with the corrupted path to catalogue. I was not able to find solution for several days now. Could you please share the contact with the programmer who was able to solve your case? Thanks a lot! Maciej
NNN635807831268584790

Postby ApoFenomeno » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:54 am

Hi,

I'm using v9.0.3 and I'm also able to create the same keyword twice (at least if they are under different parent keywords).
Also, it seems that keywords are case-sensitive. That means I can create the keywords "Car", "car" and "CAR". But that shouldn't be possible according to the official webinar on keywording in C1.

Besides, I get massive performance problems when deleting a keyword or when I drag&drop one keyword onto another one in order to create a parent/child connection.
Once I do this, C1 hangs for about 10min with CPU > 100%.
If you do NOT force quit the application (and risk a corrupt DB), C1 will keep on working normally after a while.
On my iMac 5k (3,3Ghz i5, 24GB RAM) it takes about 10min.

What's also strange: all keywording actions work absolutely fine after that timeout is over - until I restart C1.

Support Team is already informed and I'm waiting for a feedback.
However, if you can confirm the issues that I described, please raise a support ticket with a detailed description.
Otherwise it'll take ages until this buggy behaviour gets fixed....

Cheers
Andy
ApoFenomeno

Postby harald_walker » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:57 pm

ApoFenomeno wrote:However, if you can confirm the issues that I described, please raise a support ticket with a detailed description.
Otherwise it'll take ages until this buggy behaviour gets fixed....

I did and last they asked for my catalog. :shock:
Well, am not going to send them gigabytes of my catalog. They got enough information (logs, videos etc.) and it is up them now to investigate and reproduce. I've spent more than enough time on this already. QA should have noticed these issues a long time ago. Find it amusing that Phase One just advertised C1 as a great tool to 'manage your assets'.

The time has come to manage your assets with Capture One Pro 9.

Not.
harald_walker

Postby SFA » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:03 pm

If you have a data corruption in the end it is likely that someone will need to look at the database - in this case your catalogue - to do some analysis.

Without that option you could have a team of hundreds trawling through log files and other information for moinths and still find nothing.

I really down know how a video would help beyond the ability to see what you see on screen. It would be purely luck if someone saw something and was able to identify the source of a problem from that.

You might check to see if zipping the catalog would greatly reduce the size. If you are using referenced files the chances are that it would make a big difference.
SFA

Postby harald_walker » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:19 am

SFA wrote:I really down know how a video would help beyond the ability to see what you see on screen. ...

I was replying to ApoFenomeno and the issue of poor performance of the keyword management, which if you force quit C1 while waiting can leave you with a corrupt catalog. I had that once and just restored a backup.
1 1/2 months after first reporting the performance issue they wanted a video showing the slow performance, so they got a video, where for minutes you just see that nothing is happening. Only then did they finally accept the ticket and passed it on to R&D. The performance issue is not related to a specific catalog. I can reproduce it with every catalog that is larger (mine have 10 - 40K images) and other users like ApoFenomeno have reported it as well.
harald_walker

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 9.x Software