How do you change a date on a file in CO catalog

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

How do you change a date on a file in CO catalog

Postby rjh1007 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:07 am

I shot 120 images on Monday, January 20. 2020. I downloaded them from the SD on Monday. I have presets that create a folder and name files according to date automatically on download. Today I went to review and work on the files . Almost half of them were missing.
I checked the the Recent Imports and they were all there. After some searching I found the missing files in the September 28, 2019 folder and the rest in the January 20, 2020 folder. All the images were shot the same day and with the same camera and the download. I checked the SD card and all the files were in the correct order and in only one folder.
My presets also auto name the images as they are imported and the ones that were in the September 28, 2019 folder were named with that date and the metadata shows that same date. I can't figure out what in blazes CO is doing.
However, I figured I would just change the file date, move them to the correct folder and rename them with the correct date.
My dilemma, I can find no way in CO to change the file date of the images. Can anyone help me with this?
Much appreciated.
Bob
rjh1007

Re: How do you change a date on a file in CO catalog

Postby Ian3 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am

There isn't a way in Capture One to change the file date of an image (in accordance with the philosophy of never altering the raw files in any way). You would have to use an Exif editor of some kind to do that.

On a Mac, I use an app called Exif Editor. But it's Mac only. There are several options for Windows it seems.

https://www.geckoandfly.com/7987/how-to-change-exif-data-date-and-camera-properties-with-free-editor/

Ian

Edited to add: if you do alter the date on the files it won't be reflected in Capture One at once - you would need to reload the metadata.
Ian3

Postby OddS » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:04 am

In the world of a Unix/Unix-like operating system, you could try a utility called touch to manipulate the file date(s). touch does not exist in Windows as far as I know, but you may check out alternatives provided in postings in this link: https://superuser.com/questions/10426/windows-equivalent-of-the-linux-command-touch/764716

Try with a few files first...
OddS

Postby Samoreen » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:41 am

Hi,

1. There are a lot of touch utilities available for Windows either working with a graphical UI or from the command line. Not a problem. Just google with "touch utilities for Windows". However, changing the file creation date will not fix your problem. Imaging software always take into account the capture date/time contained in the image metadata. So, your image files might have the same date (as seen from the OS file system) but this doesn't necessarily implies that all these images have the same capture date in their metadata. Did you check this ? For example, this can happen if a time shift for local time has been inadvertently set in the camera after some images had already been taken. Which could explain your problem.

2. The equivalent of Exif Editor under Windows is Exiftool (https://exiftool.org/ - also available for the Mac). There's a graphical UI available for it : https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=2750.0 (an old thing that still works).

3. As explained by Ian, changing the metadata after-the-fact will not be taken into account by the C1 catalog. So, you'll have to either reload the image metadata (or re-import the images) or also change the date/time fields in the C1 catalog directly. This implies opening the catalog with an SQLite Manager like SQLite Expert Personal (free - http://www.sqliteexpert.com/download.html), opening the ZIMAGE table and modify the corresponding fields. This can be done only if you have some knowledge about databases and SQL.
Samoreen

Postby SFA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:01 pm

Bob,

Did you consider a test by re-importing the files to a new catalogue to see if the problem recurred?

If so, what was the result?

Grant
SFA

Postby Samoreen » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:06 pm

SFA wrote:Did you consider a test by re-importing the files to a new catalogue to see if the problem recurred?

Before doing this, I suggest to compare the capture date/time of the files in each folder. I suspect that a different capture date has caused the split in 2 different folders. This can be done easily with any EXIF viewer or with any image viewer showing the file metadata (like Faststone Image Viewer or XNView), including in C1 itself. I would also look at the date/time camera settings and at the time zone setting.
Last edited by Samoreen on Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samoreen

Postby Samoreen » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:21 pm

Samoreen wrote:1. There are a lot of touch utilities available for Windows either working with a graphical UI or from the command line.

FS Touch is very easy to use : http://www.funduc.com/fstouch.htm .
Samoreen

Postby SFA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:17 pm

A further question Bob,

Where the files with the same dates in sequences - one sequence by original file name and then the other?

Or was the allocation between the two folders entirely random as far as you can tell?

Out of interest, what is the camera?

I was going to suggest that you can simply browse to the folders in Windows and use Explorer to show all of the recorded dates. including date taken, for a photo.

However just doing a few back checks on some of mine and although the Date matches another field called "Date Taken" where expected, Explorer does not always seem to report the "Date Taken" value for some reason. I can't tell why that might be. Just a glitch perhaps.

It is worked well it would be worth recommending to you as a viewing option. It seems not to (Win 7) so I am reluctant to suggest it . However with that caveat is is a rather useful way of being able to list files and cross check the basic information Windows holds about them.

Grant
SFA

Postby rjh1007 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks for all your support and suggestions. Between FS touch and exiftool (which I have) I should be able to at least properly rename for my catalog.
To answer a couple of your questions:
The files in explorer all appear to have the correct date.
The files on the card all appear to have the correct date
Everything on both the card and explorer are in sequence.
It is only in the CO catalog and the dates attributed to the files by my CO import template that are wrong.

I will try try to clean up this issue by deleting all the files from the CO catalog and also explorer and reimport.
I will post how that went.

BTW - since the upgrade to CO20 when I delete files though the 'empty catalog trash' option and select the option to delete from disk the files are deleted from the catalog, however, both the folder and files remain on the hd. This never happened previously.

Bob
rjh1007

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows