Noob questions. Display resolution and zoom out image

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

Noob questions. Display resolution and zoom out image

Postby NNN637137313155423009 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi there, apologies for the noob question but I haven't really found any solution so far after some research here and on google:

1) How to display the image size (resolution) in the viewer along with the default information (ISO, shutter, etc)
2) How to do the same in the browser?
3) How to zoom out past the fit dimension? I need to evaluate the picture in small dimension. This is extremely important for me to check the composition balance of a photograph. At the moment, my workaround is to manually resizing the window of the program, but it's actually not ideal, as it would reveal all the distracting background windows of the other apps.

thanks for any help,
cheers!
Last edited by NNN637137313155423009 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NNN637137313155423009

Re: Noob questions. Display resolution and zoom out image

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:57 pm

(1) You can't display it below the image preview. But you can see it in the Metadata tool.

(2) And the same answer.

(3) You can zoom in by hitting Cmd+ and out by hitting Cmd- on a Mac, so I assume it's Ctrl+ and Ctrl- on Windows. Also there is a zoom slider on the toolbar.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm

For 3.

Set up a Process Recipe that will result in a small size output (for example the size you expect to output) and then turn on Recipe Proofing.

There is no way that I am aware of to zoom out smaller than "fit" other than relying on the recipe.

You could use preferences to adjust the Proof Margin but that would not be likely as acceptable for your purpose.

The Process Summary tool with advise the dimensions of the output file based on the currently selected recipe.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby C-M-B » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:41 pm

#1: View => Customize Viewer => Labels
This shows the ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focal length, the rating and color tag - if your CaptureOne window is big enough (width and height). If it's too small it will only show part of the information (for example only the file name).

#2: It's not possible. You can only display the file name, rating, color tag and virtual duplicate info (and whether the file is edited)

#3: Window => Viewer
That opens the selected image in an extra window on top of everything else - which you then can resize to your preferred size. It's just like the regular viewer but you can quickly resize it.
If you're constantly working with the same size I would suggest following Grants advice above and do it via the Recipe Proofing method.
C-M-B

Postby NNN637137313155423009 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Thank you for the tips, guys!

Ian3 wrote:(1) You can't display it below the image preview. But you can see it in the Metadata tool.

I'm using this solution, but it's unpractical, I'm not a fan of the idea of reaching a hidden panel (time waste) just to see such a basic information like the resolution of the image.
Ideally it should show up along side with ISO, shutter and aperture information in the Viewer window

C-M-B wrote:#1: View => Customize Viewer => Labels
This shows the ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focal length, the rating and color tag - if your CaptureOne window is big enough (width and height).

This seems what I'm looking for, but I can't display width and height, even when my Capture One is full screen.

One more related question: how to determine the resolution of the image when you use the crop tool?
I can't find any way to see the size after the crop.
Even the Crop Panel doesn't show the information.

NNN637137313155423009

Postby Ian3 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:00 pm

NNN637137313155423009 wrote:Thank you for the tips, guys!

Ian3 wrote:(1) You can't display it below the image preview. But you can see it in the Metadata tool.

I'm using this solution, but it's unpractical, I'm not a fan of the idea of reaching a hidden panel (time waste) just to see such a basic information like the resolution of the image.
Ideally it should show up along side with ISO, shutter and aperture information in the Viewer window

C-M-B wrote:#1: View => Customize Viewer => Labels
This shows the ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focal length, the rating and color tag - if your CaptureOne window is big enough (width and height).

This seems what I'm looking for, but I can't display width and height, even when my Capture One is full screen.

One more related question: how to determine the resolution of the image when you use the crop tool?
I can't find any way to see the size after the crop.
Even the Crop Panel doesn't show the information.

This will be affected by the process recipe you have currently selected too. I assume that with the 1080 pixels width shown in your screen shot, you may be using a recipe to create an image for Instagram, at 1080 pixels wide. If so, then however you crop it, it will show as 1080 pixels because that is the output Capture On is going to generate for you (upscaling or downscaling to get to 1080 as required). If you want to see the "real" number of pixels you are cropping you need to have an active process recipe that is set to 100% scaling.

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows