Sessions Question

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

Sessions Question

Postby drstaven » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:32 am

When you create a new session can you import pictures into that session from your hard drive that don't physically copy the files but point to the location on the hard drive...or do you just end up creating duplicate images within the session location.....help....i'm confused!!
drstaven

Re: Sessions Question

Postby SFA » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:44 am

If you want to leave the images where they are but reference them in a session just navigate to the FOLDER that contains the images Using the Library > System Folders route. Highlight the Folder and tight click then "Add to Session Favourites".

That will make it a permanently referenced folder for the session unless you remove it from the Favourites list.

If you don't want to make it a permanent reference you can just select files and work on them without making it a Favourite.

The one thing to remember is that a referenced folder is not part of the Session's internal folder structure in any way.

So if, for example, you manage a session to an archive disk once you have finished working in the images by simply copying the entire session folder structure to a different drive the referenced folders will not be copied at the same time.

Typically this will not matter on the basis you have kept things referenced anyway. However it is worth mentioning just in case such a consideration is important.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby MikeWoeller » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:46 pm

This seems like an odd way to do it. My understanding was that Sessions were designed to be self contained. Meaning if you wanted to take the images with you to another machine with C1, it would take the edits as well. For a situation like you are describing, a Catalog would allow you to import images in without moving or duplicating them with just an option on import. PhaseOne also put out a decent article on a hybrid workflow using both sessions and catalogs, which is what I am currently trying to implement. This allows me to work in the field and then have a master catalog at home
MikeWoeller

Postby SFA » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 pm

MikeWoeller wrote:This seems like an odd way to do it. My understanding was that Sessions were designed to be self contained. Meaning if you wanted to take the images with you to another machine with C1, it would take the edits as well. For a situation like you are describing, a Catalog would allow you to import images in without moving or duplicating them with just an option on import. PhaseOne also put out a decent article on a hybrid workflow using both sessions and catalogs, which is what I am currently trying to implement. This allows me to work in the field and then have a master catalog at home

Sessions are indeed designed with self contained usage in mind - as are MANAGED catalogues.

It's desirable, in my opinion, but it's not compulsory.

The main difference (In the context of what is being discussed here) is that edits, Thumbnails and Previews are always held in the catalog database files whereas for a session they are located near the Image folders. The image folders may be in the Session folder structure or external to it like a referenced folder in a catalog situation. The difference then is where the edits and thumbnails and Preview files are stored.

Grant
SFA

Postby drstaven » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 pm

If i open a session where i linked to a folder as a favorite (on my hard drive)...how come I can't see the adjustments I made on a picture in a catalog view?
drstaven

Postby SFA » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:05 am

drstaven wrote:If i open a session where i linked to a folder as a favorite (on my hard drive)...how come I can't see the adjustments I made on a picture in a catalog view?

Are you opening an image that has been edited as a REFERENCED file by a catalog?

See my previous reply.

To recap. In a CATALOG the edits, etc, are saved in the Catalog database file.

A session drops the files in Subfolders of the Image file folder.

You can get C1 to Export images AND adjustments in a form that can be used by a session.

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002423958-How-to-migrate-from-a-Catalog-to-a-Session-

HTH.

Grant.
SFA

Postby drstaven » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 am

I tried to export but the session i want to export to doesn't show up in the destination field
drstaven

Postby Ian3 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:06 am

drstaven wrote:I tried to export but the session i want to export to doesn't show up in the destination field

I don't understand this comment. What are you trying to do that you describe as exporting to a session? You export to a folder.

Perhaps you need to explain in detail what you were trying to do, and we will see whether we can help.

Ian
Ian3

Postby drstaven » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:58 pm

Trying to follow the instructions on https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002423958-How-to-migrate-from-a-Catalog-to-a-Session-

"In the Location section, in the Destination field, we have set the Catalog_To_Session_Migration folder created in Step 1"

I'm trying to export images from a catalog to a sessions folder (with adjustments, etc.). Shouldn't I see the session name in the "location field" of the export window?
drstaven

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:35 pm

drstaven wrote:Trying to follow the instructions on https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002423958-How-to-migrate-from-a-Catalog-to-a-Session-

"In the Location section, in the Destination field, we have set the Catalog_To_Session_Migration folder created in Step 1"

I'm trying to export images from a catalog to a sessions folder (with adjustments, etc.). Shouldn't I see the session name in the "location field" of the export window?

No, you need to browse manually to that particular session folder.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows