Migrating Capture one to a new pc, widows 10

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

Re: Migrating Capture one to a new pc, widows 10

Postby NN635310022534890600UL » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks Dave

there must be more out there

regards Barry
NN635310022534890600UL

Postby NN635310022534890600UL » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:40 am

Thanks David
Clearly I am not the only one who has experienced problems due to far from clear C1 "helps".
I think that predominantly C1 users use Mac machines and therefore don't experience the basic problems with PC users migrating all.
It would be a great help if someone from C1 would actually do the migration to a brand new PC machine from an existing machine and simply provide a step by step approach, rather than state what it is supposed to happen using unclear documentation. After all mostly all of us are photographers and not software engineers

Barry
NN635310022534890600UL

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:42 pm

David532 wrote:
SFA wrote:Barry,

The Recently added guidance document is here:

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002418657-How-to-migrate-Capture-One-from-the-existing-system-to-a-new-system-

HTH.

Grant

Grant, I may be wrong but I think the guidance document is up the creek without a paddle, it points the Windows user at c:/ProgramData/Phase One/Capture One rather than C:/Users/***/AppData/Local/CaptureOne which is less than helpful :oops: .

If we can’t trust that document can we trust any of them? The document on moving a set of pictures from a catalogue to a session certainly did not work as advertised.

Dave

David,

You're right.

I think the article has the right idea but the wrong link published for some reason.

There are three areas where settings are saved.

The "fixed " settings that are defaults delivered by the installation (but that people may still overwrite without recognising that their changes will be eliminated by future release and version updates), the public "Appdata" folder by Application and, in the case of Capture One, version and release where applicable and, in the case of Capture One, a Phase One named folder that contains the current user.config settings on a per release basis.

The user.config settings are a potential source of confusion, perhaps, if trying to use older settings from one machine on another machine so normally one would expect to start afresh. However there are some things held in the config file, iirc, that people may prefer to carry over if possible.

As I have never undertaken such a transfer I cannot offer any practical advice, only flag up potential concerns that may prove to be not valid.

I would be surprised if this has never previously been addressed by someone via a blog post or a video. I'll look into searching for something later.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635310022534890600UL » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Grant
Yes I agree that we would all be totally surprised if this hadn't been an issue reported before, although David has mentioned his problems , presumably doing the same. I don't think that I am a complete idiot but nothing has been sorted yet despite all the supposedly "helpful" documents
Yes it would be good if you could do a migration , as I suggested, to a new PC from old .If you are successful, using the documentation only, which I doubt, then a simple step by step list would be invaluable to post for future documentation.

Extremely frustrated
Barry
NN635310022534890600UL

Postby NN635310022534890600UL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:27 am

So no-one can help from capture one .
What chance have we got !!
NN635310022534890600UL

Postby SFA » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:25 pm

NN635310022534890600UL wrote:So no-one can help from capture one .
What chance have we got !!

Barry,

Create a Support Case to get official help from the Capture One Support team.

The forum is intended to be be, primarily, User to User in nature and it is rare that Capture One team members are allowed to offer direct support here - other than to suggest opening a Support Case or referring to existing documentation.

You report the erroneous documentation and ask for guidance at the same time. That SHOULD short-circuit any possibility of getting a standard mail pointing to the documentation ...

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635310022534890600UL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:03 pm

Grant

I assume that you are employed by Capture one. We have been at this subject for weeks now. How do I open a support case ?and why now not weeks ago ?

Thanks Barry
NN635310022534890600UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:34 pm

NN635310022534890600UL wrote:...
I assume that you are employed by Capture one.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby SFA » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:07 pm

NN635310022534890600UL wrote:Grant

I assume that you are employed by Capture one. We have been at this subject for weeks now. How do I open a support case ?and why now not weeks ago ?

Thanks Barry

Nope. Not Staff just a fellow user. Staff are clearly identified along with their name.

To open a Support Case go to one of the Support Pages on the web site (assuming you may not be able to run enough of Capture One to use the link from the Help menu) and somewhere at the top right or maybe in the centre at the bottom of a page (it depends on what you looking at) you should see a "Submit Request" text that will take you to this link.

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

You can also simply cut and paste the link above into your Browser.

It's a email based system.

Why now?

Well for a couple of reasons, one being that the Support Team, recently reorganised as an operation and possibly struggling with all sort of challenges after the release of C1 V20, a new Apple OS and, probably, Microsoft pushing out some slightly questionable updates, seemed to be inundated and responding slowly at the time.

Would you than anyone for sending you off into a possible black hole when you came to a public forum for peer to peer help? I wouldn't.

I'm not sure why you are having the problems you are having but with apparently zero progress after several weeks (as you point out) and the reasonable possibility that, with 2 early patch releases issued, the support situation may be improving AND in this case the information on the web site seems to be in need of review, it seemed like a good opportunity for you to point out the problem AND get direct support. Support that one would expect to have access to all of the technical information that might be required in your case since the normal process that people would use seems to be failing totally.

Speaking personally I'm not in a position to be able to attempt to replicate the process you might need to undertake so I think my ability to help you further in a way that may be of use is extremely limited. Very frustrating for you. Equally so for me and with no upside for either of us.

Bestyou work with the C1 team so that they can identify what works, what doesn't (in your case) and maybe work out how to re-vamp the documentation OR, perhaps, create a transfer process that can ship as a Utility.

All the best,

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635310022534890600UL » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:53 am

Grant

Thanks again. I had assumed that Paul and you were both associated with Capture One directly as you both appeared with your knowledgeable responses, generally in support of Capture one.
I am obviously very grateful to you both for your attempts to my problem, unfortunately neither of you have been able to solve the problem but thanks for trying.
As we have said it is amazing that this problem has not surfaced regularly and that Capture One have failed to document an adequate documentation to resolve the issue.
Thanks again

Regards Barry
NN635310022534890600UL

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:33 am

NN635310022534890600UL wrote:As we have said it is amazing that this problem has not surfaced regularly and that Capture One have failed to document an adequate documentation to resolve the issue.

The first observation in that sentence may throw some light on the second - although I suspect that in this case the second more by a poor link than a case of guidance to bad advice. But we will have to see if anything changes before coming to a conclusion.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635310022534890600UL » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm

David532 wrote:

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002418657-How-to-migrate-Capture-One-from-the-existing-system-to-a-new-system-

HTH.

Grant

Grant, I may be wrong but I think the guidance document is up the creek without a paddle, it points the Windows user at c:/ProgramData/Phase One/Capture One rather than C:/Users/***/AppData/Local/CaptureOne which is less than helpful :oops: .

If we can’t trust that document can we trust any of them? The document on moving a set of pictures from a catalogue to a session certainly did not work as advertised.

Dave

Dave

I assume that you have also had a similar problem and have since resolved the issue. If so please could you advise how you have done so. Had absolutely no help from Capture One at all and am still stuck.
regards Barry
NN635310022534890600UL

Postby David532 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:18 pm

NN635310022534890600UL wrote:
David532 wrote:

HTH.

Grant

Dave

Dave

I assume that you have also had a similar problem and have since resolved the issue. If so please could you advise how you have done so. Had absolutely no help from Capture One at all and am still stuck.
regards Barry

Ah. I did a year and a half ago, I moved from a desktop to laptop (the desktop was then donated to a charity) but I am having great difficulty remembering how I did it. I have a feeling that the bulk of my Capture One work then was in sessions which are much easier to move from machine to machine than catalogs. In fact at the time my catalog was in Lightroom. (I have now imported that Catalog into Capture One :D )

Sorry can't be more help.

Dave
David532

Postby NN635310022534890600UL » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:13 am

Thanks Dave anyway.
It really makes me feel I want to pack Capture one in. Not impressed with them at all, after using the software for several years now.
Regards Barry
NN635310022534890600UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:01 pm

Barry,
I just went over this entire thread and I must admit that I am not sure which part of your migration is not yet successful.

Checklist
1 program
2 activation
3 program settings by the user, typically in the AppData subfolder
4 preferences, typically in the user.config file, perhaps easier to set necessary preferences manually in the new setup
5 catalogs, being able to open them in Capture One
6 images, potentially relocate in your catalogs
7 catalog backups, by default part of the AppData subfolder structure

Anything forgotten, guys? :wink:
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows