Default sort order for Browser

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

Default sort order for Browser

Postby TNanos » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:49 pm

Is there any way to change the default sort order for the Browser from Name to Date? I often shoot with two bodies, and it makes more sense to sort by date and not name. I can set it for one folder, but when I move to another, it changes back to Name.

If there isn't currently a way to do it, I guess I'll have to put a feature request in...

Thanks in advance!
-Tom
TNanos

Re: Default sort order for Browser

Postby SFA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Probably won't work for you but you could put the date in the name on import (using year/month/day).

Immediate solution to the problem (assuming the camera date is correct at the time of shooting of course.

Grant
SFA

Postby TNanos » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:32 am

Thanks Grant - I already do that in part. I import via Lightroom (because C1's catalog can't handle my library - currently about 1.1 million photos - I do stock, high school sports and PJ type work for newspapers & magazines, so it requires me to search across the entire set, which spans about 16 years), then do critical edits in C1. LR renames the files to YYYYMMDD-CameraSerial-OriginalFilename - this guarantees the filenames don't duplicate in a shooting set. So sorting by name only puts each camera's files in chronological order. I would LOVE to ditch Lightroom and go all C1, but until they redesign the catalog to handle a large data set of photos, I'm stuck using LR for cataloging and C1 for critical edits.

Such is life, I guess...if nobody has any other suggestions, off to a feature request I go...

Thanks
-Tom
TNanos

Postby gusferlizi » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:45 pm

This is a bug that's been there for so many years that it became a quirk.
gusferlizi

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:31 pm

Even worse than having to manually select the sort order when Name order is not what you want, selecting Manual sort order when the thumbnails have not previously been manually sorted produces a random sort. I am using a Mac, but I doubt it is specific to Mac. To see this happen, in a previously unsorted Album or Project displaying images in Name order, select Manual sort order and watch the Thumbnails switch positions in no particular order.

In versions prior to v12, if you imported new images into a manually sorted Project or Album, the new images were appended to the Thumbnails in a semi-random order instead of just being added on in name order. This was fixed in v12.

Jerry C
NN635680879799322049UL

Postby photoGrant » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:57 am

Nope. Remembered preferences (window positions/sort orders/default naming conventions) have been a half arsed implementation for ever.

Based on previous experience, I don't anticipate this being fixed anytime soon. Or, if indeed it does -- you'll be charged for it by way of an upgrade no doubt.
photoGrant

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows