cr3 files are not imported and shown

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

cr3 files are not imported and shown

Postby NNN636645955804140081 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:34 pm

I have a "Canon Ra" camera (new) but I don't see any CR3 pictures when importing. capture one does not find any CR3 files although they are in the folder.

I can open, show and edit the same CR3 picture files in following programs:
IrfanView, BreezeBrowser, Lightroom, Photoshop, PhotoLab, PixInsight and FastStone.

I´m surprised that seven programs can open my cr3 files (from my Canon Ra), but not capture one. :?:

Capture One 20 (build 13.0.0.155), C1.
Windows 10 x64 Pro
cameras: Canon Ra (and Canon 5D Mark III)

many thanks in advanced
Hans Gruber
NNN636645955804140081

Re: cr3 files are not imported and shown

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 pm

The Canon EOS Ra is not on the list of supported cameras.

None of Canon's earlier Astro cameras are listed either, as far as I can see.

You may wish to ask the Capture One Support team about the options available to work with those types of CR3 files.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636645955804140081 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:07 pm

The Canon R and the Canon Ra are in principle the same cameras. There are only two differences.
1) The filter in front of the sensor and 2) the magnification of 30x on the touch screen.
I think, what should that have to do with the cr3 format?

Why do other programs read exactly these cr3 files, but CaptureOne not?

Why should she have a different cr3 file format than his brother?
NNN636645955804140081

Postby Keith Reeder » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:18 pm

As Grant suggests, it's your camera, not CR3s in general, that is the issue - Capture One can deal with CR3s perfectly well, but only from supported cameras.

This is how Capture One 20 sees files from my M6 Mk II:

http://kazemisu.me.uk/images/Cap_One_CR3.jpg

Despite using the same Raw format, no two cameras have the same profile - otherwise Capture One would never have needed to update Canon cameras that use the CR2 format, since the 2004 20D.

It was ever thus, and it's true of all Raw converters, not just Capture One.
Keith Reeder

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:27 pm

NNN636645955804140081 wrote:The Canon R and the Canon Ra are in principle the same cameras. There are only two differences.
1) The filter in front of the sensor and 2) the magnification of 30x on the touch screen.
I think, what should that have to do with the cr3 format?

Why do other programs read exactly these cr3 files, but CaptureOne not?

Why should she have a different cr3 file format than his brother?

CR3 is just a file format specification.

The Capture One assessment of the files takes into account several factors that are often specific to a single camera in order to produce a profile that will deliver what they see as the best possible quality result for RAW conversion that can be achieved from the data recorded by the sensor.

The best I can suggest is that you create the request for support for the Ra and see what response you get.

In general the company will never comment on what they may or may not have in development now or what they might consider for the future. However by asking them to consider support for the camera you, and any others who have done the same, will be registering your interest. If enough people are interested something may happen.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby gusferlizi » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:45 pm

Hans, this question pops up frequently.

Long story short: Phase One is very retentive and only 'releases support' for a camera (allows you to open the raw files) once they have built and blessed a rendering profile for that camera/sensor combination. They say that this will also depend on camera popularity/customer demand.

They are very cryptic and do not promise much, but from my experience, most high-end professional 35mm/APS-C cameras will get supported within 3 months from the camera's shipping date.

Personally I think that they should have 'preliminary support' for any camera regardless of their validated profile, but it sounded in the past that this could open a loophole for cameras that they actively refuse to support for competitor/ license / conflict of interest reasons; for example Hasselblad cameras are not supported.
gusferlizi

Postby Mark YLW » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:20 am

Hans, the only thing that Capture One needs to see is that the EXIF property "Model" is "Canon EOS R".
Your camera is fully compatible with Capture One 20, all you need to do is change model name in the EXIF from "Canon EOS Ra" to "Canon EOS R"

You can do this with Phil Harvey's ExifTool (I use the ExifToolGUI version). There you can batch change a whole directory of your Canon Ra CR3 files with a simple command like:

-Model="Canon EOS R" *.CR3

This will change each of your CR3 files to Model "Canon EOS R" from Model "Canon EOS Ra" (ExifTool will also give you dire warnings after you have done it). Test it on duplicate CR3 files first.

After you have processed your files in Capture One, you can always return to ExifTool and change the Model name back if you wish - this makes it less confusing if you happen to also own both the Canon R and Ra and use cataloging software.
Mark YLW

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows