Identify tools which have been used

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

Identify tools which have been used

Postby BeO » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:31 am

I filed a feature request with the support, please join me in doing so if you would like to have this feature too.

I often work with many layers and modify values on several tools. It is not easy to identify the tools which are changed in a specific layer, I actually have to expand all the tools and check whether or not it is has been used / modified from the default.

It would be a great help if the changed tools were (somehow) easily identifiable even in its collapsed state.
BeO

Re: Identify tools which have been used

Postby SFA » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Agreed.

I have previously suggested the same concept - something similar to the information provided if one 'hovers' the cursor over a style definition for example. Or better if possible.

Right now the only options I can think of would be to (temporarily) save the revisions as a "style" and use the feature mentioned above; or

Open a Clipboard tool, copy to Clipboard and see what is listed (assuming you have the Auto select changed values option active.) Not ideal but it gives a clue.

Alternatively micro-manage layers (and name them) in such a way that the changes made are always minimal (one tool or a commonly used group of tools) and likely to be obvious based on the name used. Potentially this is more powerful than simply knowing what tools have been deployed.

But all of that said ... 99% of the time (or maybe more) I don't find I have a real issue with the way things are. The functionality would be most used if returning to an older processed image where the changes made will have long since been forgotten.

What might be really useful is a "virtual tool tab" for a layer that shows all tools used on that layer, pre-opened to show the current settings being applied to them.

Grant
SFA

Postby BeO » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 am

SFA wrote:
But all of that said ... 99% of the time (or maybe more) I don't find I have a real issue with the way things are. The functionality would be most used if returning to an older processed image where the changes made will have long since been forgotten.

What might be really useful is a "virtual tool tab" for a layer that shows all tools used on that layer, pre-opened to show the current settings being applied to them.

Grant

I often revisit my images the next day, having a fresh mind, before I really finish it off. Fresh mind not only gives me a fresh sight but also flushed my memory what tools I used in which layer. I am often having 5 to 8 layers, somtimes more. I mostly work area based, not tool based, that means I mask an area, adjust one tool at first, but then see the need to adjust with another tool, create or switch to a different layer, make adjustments there, feel the previous layers need to adjust based on my new layers edit decision, so, each layer ends up with a bunch of tools used. Micro-management by area, not by tools used, so to say.

For that reason I use a tool tab which has all tools I usually use, similar to your virtual tool tab idea with the difference that the virtual tool tab would only contain used tools. Which I see is a charming idea too, only problem then if I want to use a tool for that layer which I haven't used before.

Hovering and clipboard does not solve the requirement to instantly see which tools were used. Having a small marker e.g. an orange icon, or the font of used tools is somehow different or any other visual differentiator for used tools vs. unused tools would solve it easily (especially if you have all tools in one tool tab, which I have). Also, it should be an easy to implement enhancement.
Or, if we could have a toggle button which hides all unused tools.
Or both.

Cheers
BeO
BeO

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:27 am

BeO wrote:
SFA wrote:

Grant

I often revisit my images the next day, having a fresh mind, before I really finish it off. Fresh mind not only gives me a fresh sight but also flushed my memory what tools I used in which layer. I am often having 5 to 8 layers, somtimes more. I mostly work area based, not tool based, that means I mask an area, adjust one tool at first, but then see the need to adjust with another tool, create or switch to a different layer, make adjustments there, feel the previous layers need to adjust based on my new layers edit decision, so, each layer ends up with a bunch of tools used. Micro-management by area, not by tools used, so to say.

For that reason I use a tool tab which has all tools I usually use, similar to your virtual tool tab idea with the difference that the virtual tool tab would only contain used tools. Which I see is a charming idea too, only problem then if I want to use a tool for that layer which I haven't used before.

Hovering and clipboard does not solve the requirement to instantly see which tools were used. Having a small marker e.g. an orange icon, or the font of used tools is somehow different or any other visual differentiator for used tools vs. unused tools would solve it easily (especially if you have all tools in one tool tab, which I have). Also, it should be an easy to implement enhancement.
Or, if we could have a toggle button which hides all unused tools.
Or both.

Cheers
BeO

All great ideas.

My thought for the Virtual Tab is simply that it would display whichever tools are currently used on that layer "live". So to use a different tool simply access it by one's preferred method, make the changes and it would appear in the Virtual tab.

Preferred methods would include from another tab, using a floating tool, applying a shortcut key adjustment, applying a preset or style. Luma mask, Opacity level and no doubt a number of other values (Mask is the result of a colour selection?) would also be useful for instant information if the information is easily available.

Grant
SFA

Postby BeO » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Yep, one way or another, we have the same requirement, which is in the title of this thread, we would like to have easy overview and access to tools which deviate from our default settings (=tools we have actually used), especially when working with layers as the number of potentially used tools are multplied and there is no way to find out which ones were used except looking at each of them.
Some of them are easier to identify, visually, e.g. Levels, others are harder to grasp, as they are numbers based e.g. Noise reduction, others are next to impossible e.g. Curves, color channel only, because you need to go through all the tabs.

@ all who see this could benefit their workflow...

Join me in creating a support feature request, maybe with the same title so it gets some weight in the helpdesk system

Cheers
BeO
BeO

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows