Capture One Pro 20

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

Re: Capture One Pro 20

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:30 pm

Alex1111 wrote:
Alex1111 wrote:I signed up for the beta and accepted NDA, but still can't find a link explaining the system requirements and what new cameras it is compatible with. All I want to know if it will work on my existing system and if it will support Canon M6ii.

I was able to test v20 and it works on my system! However I am puzzled as the upgrade price went up with no notice from $149 to $199. So after finally getting budget approved and testing the the price is now higher? I could justify $150, but $200 is a bit harder.

It depends on the version you come from. From 12 > 20 is US$ 159. From older versions is US$ 199. You probably have CO 11 or older.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Alex1111 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Yes I have v11. But I am certain it was $149 from v11 to v12/20 a few days ago (this was without the recent 20% sale).
Alex1111

Postby ClauS » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:20 am

Alex1111 wrote:Yes I have v11. But I am certain it was $149 from v11 to v12/20 a few days ago (this was without the recent 20% sale).

I noticed that too. When I was offered the pre-order discount the site stated that I would have paid 127€ instead of 159€ (VAT included) but once CO20 was out the upgrade price went up to 169€. I had a CO11 license but I bought it with a free upgrade to 12. In such situations your account still report the license you've actually paid for and probably the upgrade price is calculated on the basis of that (even though the support credits you with the newer one). Otherwise they just raised the price.
ClauS

Postby Dinarius » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Alex1111 wrote:
Alex1111 wrote:I signed up for the beta and accepted NDA, but still can't find a link explaining the system requirements and what new cameras it is compatible with. All I want to know if it will work on my existing system and if it will support Canon M6ii.

I was able to test v20 and it works on my system! However I am puzzled as the upgrade price went up with no notice from $149 to $199. So after finally getting budget approved and testing the the price is now higher? I could justify $150, but $200 is a bit harder.

$199?

Hadn’t realised that coz I bought with a code back in October.

With Photoshop and Lightroom, which I’ve just signed up to, costing a tenner a month, Phaseone need to avoid becoming greedy. That’s $16 a month.

I would have upgraded to C1 20. But, next year I’ll download the beta first.

D.
Dinarius

Postby SFA » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:46 pm

Dinarius wrote:
Alex1111 wrote:

$199?

Hadn’t realised that coz I bought with a code back in October.

With Photoshop and Lightroom, which I’ve just signed up to, costing a tenner a month, Phaseone need to avoid becoming greedy. That’s $16 a month.

I would have upgraded to C1 20. But, next year I’ll download the beta first.

D.

See Paul's post above.

$199 was, if I read the thread correctly, an upgrade for V11 not V12.

Grant
SFA

Postby Wesley » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:44 am

IanL wrote:
Irvin.Gomez wrote:I stopped buying upgrades after v11 because it’s just too expensive, far more than the more complete PS/LR subscription. As simple as that. And, no, the ‘perpetual license’ argument is just bs for dumb customers: most versions don’t work with newer operating systems, so there is absolutely no value and your ‘perpetual license’ does have an expiration date.

I call bs on your BS. You tore down the straw man. The argument in favour of perpetual license is you get to decide if and when to pay the cost of upgrading. Us "pay once, use a long as you like" fans are totally aware that new cameras and new OSs may require new versions. We get that - in fact that is the whole point - we want to decide when to upgrade our hardware, camera, software and OS and control our expenses.

For example in 2011 I bought a new camera and in 2013 a new computer I have been using them ever since. I could have also been using the version of LR or C1 I bought back then too. I can choose where and when I spend my money upgrades and I still have access to all my files. If I choose not to spend everything still works and I do not loose the ability to work with my files.

Just to be clear - just in case it is not - I am *not* anti subscription. If that works for you great. Fantastic even. Perhaps you could extend us the same courtesy and perhaps refrain from calling us dumb :D

Seems like you stopped the man from coming to this thread by killing him with kindness :lol:
Since he never replied to my question, "What can you do that can't be done in CS6 or Affinity for retouching that would compel someone to get a PS subscription?".

I was hoping to get roasted by him so I can start spending $120/year. I've saved $720 so far not being on CC.
Wesley

Postby Keith Reeder » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Wesley wrote:Since he never replied to my question, "What can you do that can't be done in CS6 or Affinity for retouching that would compel someone to get a PS subscription?".

You asked about skin retouching - a very specific subset of "retouching".
What can you do that can't be done in CS6 or Affinity for skin retouching that would compel someone to get a PS subscription?

Did Irvin claim to be a skin retoucher? There's all sorts of retouching that doesn't involve skin.

And I can say with some confidence - having done retouching (although we don't call it that) for several professional UK bird/wildlife photographers - that the more recent "content aware" tools in PhotoShop are worth their weight in gold, and far better than what Affinity Photo offers.

Just sayin'...
Keith Reeder

Postby Irvin.Gomez » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:
Wesley wrote:Since he never replied to my question, "What can you do that can't be done in CS6 or Affinity for retouching that would compel someone to get a PS subscription?".

What can you do that can't be done in CS6 or Affinity for skin retouching that would compel someone to get a PS subscription?

Did Irvin claim to be a skin retoucher? There's all sorts of retouching that doesn't involve skin.

And I can say with some confidence - having done retouching (although we don't call it that) for several professional UK bird/wildlife photographers - that the more recent "content aware" tools in PhotoShop are worth their weight in gold, and far better than what Affinity Photo offers.

Just sayin'...

Thanks, Keith

I do not bother to address childish posters who want to engage on little ‘pissing matches’ over some specific topic when the conversation is much more that that.

His post in childish bait. Does not merit an answer and does not contribute to this forum where we debate with reasonable arguments in search of truth, not confirmation of our cognitive biases.
Irvin.Gomez

Postby Wesley » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:

Just sayin'...

He has claimed to be a pro retoucher and not a photographer. I personally only know working retouchers specializing in skin & fashion so that was my basis. Judging by the lack of correction from him, his clients are mainly beauty & fashion photographers.
Wesley

Postby Wesley » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Irvin.Gomez wrote:Thanks, Keith

I do not bother to address childish posters who want to engage on little ‘pissing matches’ over some specific topic when the conversation is much more that that.

His post in childish bait. Does not merit an answer and does not contribute to this forum where we debate with reasonable arguments in search of truth, not confirmation of our cognitive biases.

You are the one that said, "the ‘perpetual license’ argument is just bs for dumb customers".

That is the most childish in this thread. My word choices weren't even down on the same level.

Not surprised to see more ad hominem from a poster with a statement like that.
Wesley

Postby Irvin.Gomez » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Wesley wrote:
Irvin.Gomez wrote:Thanks, Keith

You are the one that said, "the ‘perpetual license’ argument is just bs for dumb customers".

I stand by my statements.

The ‘perpetual license’ (pay once and use forever) argument against subscriptions is quite flawed, because it amounts to: “you don’t have to pay ever again, but there is a heavy penalty for it in terms of eventually the software not working with future versions of your OS, needing to upgrade once you buy new equipment, you won’t have access to bug fixes, etc.- and the most important one: you won’t get the latest advances and features unless you keep spending!”.

So, a person has to be really dumb to think the ‘pay once and use forever’ proposition is as good as it sounds.

As for the Affinity Photo vs Photoshop or Photoshop CS6 vs Photoshop ‘debate’, just check the features and you will understand why the overwhelming majority of people doing post-processing or retouching work of any kind are going the ‘subscription way’. It’s not even worth a debate, to be honest.

Does not mean Affinity Photo or Photoshop CS6 are not good. it only means Photoshop keeps getting better and better and most people are willing to pay for the latest features.
Irvin.Gomez

Postby ClauS » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:16 am

Irvin.Gomez wrote:The ‘perpetual license’ (pay once and use forever) argument against subscriptions is quite flawed, because it amounts to: “you don’t have to pay ever again, but there is a heavy penalty for it in terms of eventually the software not working with future versions of your OS, needing to upgrade once you buy new equipment, you won’t have access to bug fixes, etc.- and the most important one: you won’t get the latest advances and features unless you keep spending!”.

I still agree that perpetual does not mean forever but other than that, everything you're pointing out is (has always been) normal with paid software. Nobody gave you free upgrades for life assuring eternal life to your software and to your work before subscription model but it could be even worse now. There are programs from Windows XP era (or even before) that are still working, others don't, but it's always your choice to upgrade OS, camera and what else. My father bought a car in 1990 and he paid a full price to own it. It was his "forever", but without the later LPG kit installation he couldn't drive it everyday and everywhere and then the car died too. Nothing is forever. You say "unless you keep spending". Isn't it exactly what subscription model is based on? You spend forever. You stop paying, you stop using even with no camera or OS upgrade. But what if your subscription software developer goes bankrupt or decide to leave that software behind... When you don't own a license, you are giving away the right to work on your files. Should something bad happen on their sides you could be unable to work for days and lose money. The point is just that some subscriptions are worth the money, others are not. Adobe photography plan is a bargain compared to an old single license price. Perpetual license is still the cheapest way to go with Capture One.
Last edited by ClauS on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClauS

Postby Christian Gruner » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:46 pm

I would like to remind everyone to keep to the forum rules, not calling people dumb etc.
Arguments are perfectly fine, but keep it professional!
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby MichelErichsen » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:52 am

Hello all :)

First of all, hope that all of you had a fine Xmas celebration. Nisse (Santa Claus) has put C1 20 in my tuffles, I'm absolutely glad with it !

Two questions to Phase One software staff. Only two is enough between Jul and Nytt år, ikke sant ;)

I wish to install C1 20 on two computers, one in Oslo Norway on my bærbar machine (laptop) with windows 10 Home 64, plus one in Paris France on my tower computer with windows 7 Pro 64. Is this allowed with only one license ? Any pre-informations to Phase One, which of them ? Any specific process ?

How much RAM do I need to avoid freezes when I need to process 100% size outputs ?
In Paris, I have only 6 Go with 3 memcards DDR3 (motherboard Asus Rampage III Extreme + proc Intel i7 930, built 2011) and it is a big problem with C1 12. I have planned to upgrade to 16 Go. Should I extend it to 24 Go ?

Thanks for usefull feedbacks :)

All my best wishes to all for the next year soon coming, cheers !

Mvh
Michel
MichelErichsen

Postby ClauS » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:28 am

MichelErichsen wrote:I wish to install C1 20 on two computers, one in Oslo Norway on my bærbar machine (laptop) with windows 10 Home 64, plus one in Paris France on my tower computer with windows 7 Pro 64. Is this allowed with only one license ? Any pre-informations to Phase One, which of them ? Any specific process ?

Yes it is. Perpetual license allows 3 activations while subscription allows 2.
Install CO, run it, insert the license and you're account informations. You're done.

MichelErichsen wrote:How much RAM do I need to avoid freezes when I need to process 100% size outputs ?
In Paris, I have only 6 Go with 3 memcards DDR3 (motherboard Asus Rampage III Extreme + proc Intel i7 930, built 2011) and it is a big problem with C1 12. I have planned to upgrade to 16 Go. Should I extend it to 24 Go ?

Michel

From Release Note:

Microsoft® Windows® minimum requirements

• Intel or AMD CPU with 2 cores
8 GB of RAM
• 10 GB of free hard disk space
• Calibrated monitor with 1280x800, 24-bit resolution at 96dpi
• Windows 7® SP1 64-bit, Windows 8.1® 64-bit, Windows 10® 64-bit*
• Microsoft® .NET Framework version 4.7 (will be installed if not present)

*Support for Capture One 20 on Windows 10 is supported for builds supporting .NET 4.7 - this is currently from Windows 10 Anniversary Update (build 1607) through to October 2018 Update (build 1809).

Recommended system requirements

If working with high-resolution images and doing calculation-heavy adjustments we
recommend the following:
• Intel CPU with 4+ cores
• 16+ GB of RAM
• Solid State Disk (SSD)
• Dual (matching) Graphics card from NVIDIA or AMD with 4GB+ RAM per card
• Calibrated monitor with at least 1920x1200, 24-bit resolution at 96dpi

NOTE: Due to the significant additional calculation overhead, systems using 4k/5k
monitors will require extra resources in addition to the above-recommended specification
(both in GPU and CPU power). For professional experience, we recommend at least
doubling the specification above for these configurations.
ClauS

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows