Capture One Pro 20

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

Capture One Pro 20

Postby phlpyro » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:34 pm

Hi
Can anybody clear up a mystery. I received an email that looked very much as if it came from Phase One advertising a 20% discount offer on a new version of Capture called Capture One Pro 20. The confirmation of my order came from Capture One Order Support <mailer@fastspring.com>
Is this for real or?
Paul Lunnon
phlpyro

Re: Capture One Pro 20

Postby Bobtographer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 pm

did you head over to www.fastspring.com ?

fwiw all mails i've ever received are from noreply@phaseone.com
Bobtographer

Postby Ian3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:47 pm

I ordered it in advance and my reply and my reply and licence code came through Fastspring.

Ian
Ian3

Postby phlpyro » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:19 am

Yes I did visit Fastspring.com and there was a license key there. My query is that there has been no official announcement from Phase One and I supposedly purchased this product 28th October nearly a month ago and have heard nothing.
phlpyro

Postby Ian3 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:20 am

I think the assumption was that it would be released around the end of November. In previous years, when a new version was released, they would offer a free upgrade to the new version to customers who had bought the old one within the previous 30 days. This year they seem to have announced in advance, near the end of October, that purchasers of v12 would get a free upgrade to v20. Hence the assumption that we were about 30 days or so away from the new version.

Ian
Ian3

Postby doobs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:14 pm

I'm completely gobsmacked by the image quality I can get out of C1 v12 with not a lot of time/effort. Kudo's for that P1. You hooked me with the Fuji Express Edition. Enough to drop the coin for the whole shebang.

What I'm not gobsmacked with is workflow. Sessions are great, I get it. But they are designed for a fairly singular purpose which is not how I work.

The number one requirement that Capture 20 must meet for me to plunk down any more of my hard earned money is a FUNCTIONING catalog system. Doesn't need to be anywhere near as fully developed as some of the other DAM's, but it must be functional.

I've been a DAM user for some 10 years, including iView Media Pro (RIP), and am not interested in changing my workflow from a catalog based one. I like a monolith catalog with all my imagery that I continue to browse through even 20 years later. And with the enhanced capability of C1 there is a reason to go back and browse as the images are getting better. This is huge. David Grover was discussing that a bit on one of the podcasts and it is really so. There is a reason to revisit old images with new software. The technology is better and thus better final images are doable.

I've got about 60k images in my storage cache and honestly C1 can barely handle that. Much of the functionality is broken due to being at the limits of the current software's capabilities. Synchronizing a my drive when new folders have been added is ludicrous. I tried that the other day. It took about 6 hours to decide I needed to import virtually every file on the drive, and then after about 13 hours of churning, it was only about 1/2 done. I filed a support case, but I'm pretty certain I know what the response is gonna be.

The catalog system on C1 should be able to handle 100k images without issue. Seriously.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
doobs

Postby IanS » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:10 pm

doobs wrote:I'm completely gobsmacked by the image quality I can get out of C1 v12 with not a lot of time/effort. Kudo's for that P1. You hooked me with the Fuji Express Edition. Enough to drop the coin for the whole shebang.

What I'm not gobsmacked with is workflow. Sessions are great, I get it. But they are designed for a fairly singular purpose which is not how I work.

The number one requirement that Capture 20 must meet for me to plunk down any more of my hard earned money is a FUNCTIONING catalog system. Doesn't need to be anywhere near as fully developed as some of the other DAM's, but it must be functional.

I've been a DAM user for some 10 years, including iView Media Pro (RIP), and am not interested in changing my workflow from a catalog based one. I like a monolith catalog with all my imagery that I continue to browse through even 20 years later. And with the enhanced capability of C1 there is a reason to go back and browse as the images are getting better. This is huge. David Grover was discussing that a bit on one of the podcasts and it is really so. There is a reason to revisit old images with new software. The technology is better and thus better final images are doable.

I've got about 60k images in my storage cache and honestly C1 can barely handle that. Much of the functionality is broken due to being at the limits of the current software's capabilities. Synchronizing a my drive when new folders have been added is ludicrous. I tried that the other day. It took about 6 hours to decide I needed to import virtually every file on the drive, and then after about 13 hours of churning, it was only about 1/2 done. I filed a support case, but I'm pretty certain I know what the response is gonna be.

The catalog system on C1 should be able to handle 100k images without issue. Seriously.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

If DAM is that important to you then you need to stick with LR, ACDSee, or IMATCH etc. C1Pro has a DAM capable of handling small catalogue 30,000 but is never going to rival LR for DAM capability. Products have their niches and with C1Pro it is image quality and speed. A limited DAM capability works for the user base, many of whom use sessions anyway and for example don't want the constraints of a catalogue. Products can't be all thing to all men :-(

Nothing to see here, move along :-) :-)
IanS

Postby IanL » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:00 pm

I am very much in agreement with @doobs regarding how he works and how he hopes that C1 gets some performance boosts in new versions. If you and others are happy with sessions I think that is great, I have found them useful as well, if you are happy with small catalogues - that's cool too. All those of us like @doobs are looking for is some considerations so that searching a 60K catalogue for a handful of keywords doesn't take 15 - 20 minutes. This is simple SQL query stuff that should take seconds. C1 seems to be scanning files by the thousands for information that should be in the database (supposition based on support discussions and my experiments not verified insider information).

I have used smart albums to create collections by year that greatly reduce issues with such searches but its a work around - one that I can work with for a while.

Nothing to see here move along :D
IanL

Postby doobs » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:53 pm

IanL wrote:I am very much in agreement with @doobs regarding how he works and how he hopes that C1 gets some performance boosts in new versions. If you and others are happy with sessions I think that is great, I have found them useful as well, if you are happy with small catalogues - that's cool too. All those of us like @doobs are looking for is some considerations so that searching a 60K catalogue for a handful of keywords doesn't take 15 - 20 minutes. This is simple SQL query stuff that should take seconds. C1 seems to be scanning files by the thousands for information that should be in the database (supposition based on support discussions and my experiments not verified insider information).

I have used smart albums to create collections by year that greatly reduce issues with such searches but its a work around - one that I can work with for a while.

Nothing to see here move along :D

Thank you!

Don't get me wrong, I love what C1 has done for my post processing. I would love to love it's organization capabilities.

I'm not looking for any more features to be added to the set, I just want the one that are there to work, independent of how many images are in the catalog.

As a work around, I'm using xnView MP. I like it's capability a lot, it's simple and fast. It's not a DAM as it doesn't have a "database", but frankly that doesn't hurt my head.
doobs

Postby Jim MSP » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:03 pm

doobs wrote:
IanL wrote:... If you and others are happy with sessions I think that is great, I have found them useful as well, i...... :D

Don't get me wrong, I love what C1 has done for my post processing. I would love to love it's organization capabilities.

I'm not looking for any more features to be added to the set, I just want the one that are there to work, independent of how many images are in the catalog.

I had given up on C1 years ago for its DAM after they screwed up and killed Media Pro. They pushed me to Lightroom where I have >140,000 images cataloged. I still used C1 to process some of my really good shots, albeit one at a time. I have already gone the route of trying to use a small C1 catalog (or multiples).

Anyway, I am a user of C1 ver 12 along with LR. I use LR as my DAM and initial processor. I use LR to import, cull, keyword, and rate my photos. I use LR to process my standard keepers, and C1 to process the really good ones. I am still fine tuning a good working system that combines LR and C1, and I am settling in on C1 sessions. It gets a bit more complicated now, as C1 v12 does not read my new Canon 90D RAWs, so I have to give it a LR generated DNG. But I am pretty convinced that I can keep a really smooth workflow between LR and C1 with sessions.
Jim MSP

Postby phlpyro » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi all

So loyalty means nothing we were offerd 20% discount on Pro 20 as loyal customers. Now under Black Friday everybody can get 30% will they be refunding my 10% to make the playing field level. We need someone from Phase One to explain their actions.

Paul (UK)
phlpyro

Postby SFA » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:16 pm

phlpyro wrote:Hi all

So loyalty means nothing we were offerd 20% discount on Pro 20 as loyal customers. Now under Black Friday everybody can get 30% will they be refunding my 10% to make the playing field level. We need someone from Phase One to explain their actions.

Paul (UK)

How do you get 30% off the V20 upgrade via Black Friday?
SFA

Postby ClauS » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:50 pm

SFA wrote:
How do you get 30% off the V20 upgrade via Black Friday?

From the site

BLACK FRIDAY OFFER

Save 30% on Capture One products

Use code: BLACK-FRIDAY-19. This offer expires in:

It's reported on CO20 pre-order page too.
ClauS

Postby ClauS » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:12 pm

phlpyro wrote:Hi all

Paul (UK)

Who is not a loyal customer, which I think only meant customer, have to buy a full license. He won't pay less than you. But I get your frustration. This means that who was eligible for pre-order (because already a customer) and waited until now has done well and there was no benefit for being early birds as pre-order was supposed to be. Honestly this makes no sense and sounds like a joke. They should have stopped pre-order before BF or leave it out of black friday discount. But then who was coming from 11 could buy the upgrade to 12 with 20 for free with 30% discount.
ClauS

Postby NNN636439493717372739 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:27 pm

That's not a fair position!
They are betraying the trust of their customers!
I think I made a mistake pre-ordering CO20, and not only for this disrespects, but also because i suspect that the novelties will not justify the price paid.
I am really disappointed!
NNN636439493717372739

Next

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows