Save files to internal camera card and computer?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Mac

Save files to internal camera card and computer?

Postby PhaseoneUser103493 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi is there any way to make C1 on mac save to the internal camera card and the computer?

This has created a big problem for me making sure I am not missing something in the software. Canon camera and the Fuji GFS50.

Thanks, David
PhaseoneUser103493

Re: Save files to internal camera card and computer?

Postby SFA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:44 pm

Assuming you are referring to Capture One Tethering where C1 takes control of the camera - generally no since the tethering system is intentionally bypassing the camera's internal systems to deliver speed and its own controls. That includes file naming.

I believe there are one or two camera bodies that are exceptions to that rule if the manufacturer has provided a method of accessing the internal memory card although whether that affects performance I am not sure.

An alternative approach is to shoot the camera to a Hot Folder that is monitored by Capture One. It's not full tethering but may be a useful compromise if you really need to save to media in the camera rather than to disk and making a backup copy from there.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby PhaseoneUser103493 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:55 pm

Thanks, I tried to create a hot folder setup but no go the software automatically connects..

This is a real issue... Lightroom does not do this...and with my client it has wasted the entire week trying to find some lost files on his card which as it turns out are in C1 which is good but not good for him.

I'm a DIT
PhaseoneUser103493

Postby SFA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:22 pm

As I understand things the camera has several options for making connections to other devices.

What is it set to currently when connecting??
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:23 pm

PhaseoneUser103493 wrote:This is a real issue... Lightroom does not do this...and with my client it has wasted the entire week trying to find some lost files on his card which as it turns out are in C1 which is good but not good for him.

The fact that someone is accustomed to a certain workflow does not make it necessarily the best workflow.

Fact is, that Lightroom and Capture One take each a different approach to tethering. Lr is merely copying from the card, storing it there first, making it in general slower and offering fewer features. Capture One is the opposite.

For you and your client, in particular, it is important to see the benefit of the approach Capture One is taking. The extensive control, live view, naming, adjusting on the fly, are just a few that even the most diehard Lr users take Capture One for tethering.

That said, I am aware of some brands (Olympus, Sony, Fujifilm come to mind, Canon surely not) that offer additional image storing to the card during tethering with Capture One. It is a feature implemented in their camera's firmware.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Mac