Subnaming files from different recipes

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Mac

Subnaming files from different recipes

Postby NN635503104733533977UL » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:00 pm

To my clients I always send files in different formats, for example one JPG for print and one JPG for web. However to get the naming right, I always end up doing it manually, and that takes extra time I would like to spend doing other things, and it just seems silly. To me it seems like there is an option to get the naming correct, sub name, but I can't get it to work.

What I am doing is putting the file name and counter in the "Output naming" box. For example;
CocaCola_Oslo_[Counter].jpg

If I then have two actions, for example low les JPG for web, and high res JPG for print, I use two different recipes, and would then like the file names to come out like this;
CocaCola_Oslo_[Counter]_Web.jpg
CocaCola_Oslo_[Counter]_Print.jpg

Or most preferably;
CocaCola_Oslo_Web_[Counter].jpg
CocaCola_Oslo_Print_[Counter].jpg

But I assume the first one is more likely.

I have tried to use Sub name under Process Recipe -> File -> Sub Name, but once I run the recipe, it ignores it. So is there a way to actually do this, without doing it manually. The way it comes out now is;

CocaCola_Oslo_[Counter].jpg
CocaCola_Oslo_[Counter] 01.jpg

Also - can you make Capture One auto reset the counter if there is a new project. Often I forget this, and have to do it over again, or manually rename all the files.
NN635503104733533977UL

Re: Subnaming files from different recipes

Postby Ian3 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:46 pm

You need to do two things.

(1) create a suitable subname for each recipe which you appear to have done, Print and Web. That goes in the subname field on the File tab, which I think you have done.

(2) In the Output Naming section of the output tool tab construct the output file name you want, using tokens and/or text as desired. So you might create a name like [Image Name]_[Sub name]_[Counter]

(You click on the ... next to the Format field, then drag the tokens you want to use into the Format box, typing the _ between them if you like.)

I don't know of a way to reset the counter automatically.

Ian
Ian3

Re: Subnaming files from different recipes

Postby NN635503104733533977UL » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:49 pm

Oh - beautiful! It worked perfect. Also I now learned how to use the Job name field, so I never have to edit the format field during different projects. Perfect! Thanks!
NN635503104733533977UL

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Mac